Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Scan to PDF App?

  1. #1

    Default Scan to PDF App?

    Is there some app like gscan2pdf to OpenSUSE 12.1 (gnome)?
    I'm using Xsane but each scanned page even in gray mode get almost 1MB. Can I just configure Xsane or there are some other apps?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    Quote Originally Posted by volter View Post
    Is there some app like gscan2pdf to OpenSUSE 12.1 (gnome)?
    I'm using Xsane but each scanned page even in gray mode get almost 1MB. Can I just configure Xsane or there are some other apps?
    The first thing I see when starting Xsane is a window where I can configure many things and among them is Scanresolution. I guess that playing around with that will infuence the size of the file generated.

    I use KDE, but I guess that Gnome does not cripple Xsane beyond recognition
    Henk van Velden

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UTC+10
    Posts
    9,686
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    Also if you just want to scan text you should experiment with thresholding to force the image to black and white, which reduces the number of gray levels and thus the size. IIRC you can also scan from within GIMP.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    And there is Skanlite. Buit I guess that in all cases you have to tell the program what resolution and how man levels you want when the defaults do not fit your needs.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    gscan2pddf will install on openSUSE - follow these instructions:

    1. From YaST, select Software Repositories
    a. Add the perl repository: Index of /repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_12.1
    b. Add the build service repository from openSUSE user illuusio: Index of /repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_12.1
    2. From YaST, select Software Management
    a. search gscan2pdf. Install the package and its dependencies

    If you prefer to use zypper:
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_12.1/ perl.12.1
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_12.1/ illuusio.12.1
    Code:
    zypper in gscan2pdf

  6. #6

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    Quote Originally Posted by andyprough View Post
    gscan2pddf will install on openSUSE - follow these instructions:

    1. From YaST, select Software Repositories
    a. Add the perl repository: Index of /repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_12.1
    b. Add the build service repository from openSUSE user illuusio: Index of /repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_12.1
    2. From YaST, select Software Management
    a. search gscan2pdf. Install the package and its dependencies

    If you prefer to use zypper:
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_12.1/ perl.12.1
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_12.1/ illuusio.12.1
    Code:
    zypper in gscan2pdf
    I installed gscan2pdf but when I try to star it, it just doesn't start. I assume there something missing, but I don't know what.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,732

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    You should allways document your problem with facts, not with vague stories.

    Thus please post here all and everything (between CODE tags) what you get when you call
    Code:
    gscan2pdf
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    On 2012-01-06 14:36, hcvv wrote:
    > I use KDE, but I guess that Gnome does not cripple Xsane beyond
    > recognition


    Xsane is not a KDE app nor a Gnome app, so it is not affected by what
    desktop you use.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    Quote Originally Posted by volter View Post
    I installed gscan2pdf but when I try to star it, it just doesn't start. I assume there something missing, but I don't know what.


    Hi Volter -

    Try installing the perl-Gtk2-Ex-Simple-List package:
    1. If you haven't already got the perl repository added:
    Code:
    zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_12.1/ perl.12.1
    2. Install the package:
    Code:
    zypper in perl-Gtk2-Ex-Simple-List
    Sorry I didn't include that in the earlier instructions. According to the gscan2pdf man page, the program won't run without this simple-list package, but it looks like it's not handled by the dependency resolution when you first install from YaST or zypper. Let me know if you have any more trouble.

    Andy Prough
    Kyle, TX

  10. #10

    Default Re: Scan to PDF App?

    I installed 'perl-Gtk2-Ex-Simple-List'

    When I try to start gscan2pdf I get this
    Code:
    Can't locate Gtk2/Ex/Simple/List.pm in @INC 
    (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2 
    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.14.2/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2 
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) 
    at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.14.2/Gscan2pdf/Document.pm line 6.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.14.2/Gscan2pdf/Document.pm line 6.
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/gscan2pdf line 131.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/gscan2pdf line 131.
    So...whats the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •