Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I install the proprietary Radeon Catalyst driver?

Default Re: How do I install the proprietary Radeon Catalyst driver?

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    FYI: You were not even using Radeon before this
    Yeah, it was fbdev (whatever that is). And it was slow but showed at the correct resolution.

What am I supposed to do with that information? (not your fault).

Code:
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9644
    So atiupgrade didn't detect your ATI card, but you decided to install the driver and that's what you have now. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    What am I supposed to do with that information? (not your fault).

Code:
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9644
    So atiupgrade didn't detect your ATI card, but you decided to install the driver and that's what you have now. Am I correct?
    Yes. I know it was dumb but I wanted to try and figured I could always reinstall openSUSE if needed. (And it is not working properly, but I can see a screen - albeit the wrong size screen, but I can at least use it. And HDMI sound now works)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I downloaded it from please_try_again's repo but when I then run it, it says:
    Code:
    No ATI graphic card detected. Do you want to continue? [yn]
    Should I run it anyways?
    Searches on the internet suggest the AMD 6410D is supported by the proprietary AMD graphic driver, but as is typically the case for AMD, their GNU/Linux status is not up to date.

If please_try_again is not able to update the script due to the poor state of AMD documentation, then you may need to use a different method to install the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Searches on the internet suggest the AMD 6410D is supported by the proprietary AMD graphic driver, but as is typically the case for AMD, their GNU/Linux status is not up to date.

If please_try_again is not able to update the script due to the poor state of AMD documentation, then you may need to use a different method to install the driver.
    I'm OK with that. What way would I install the driver?

(Although I think the problem is that my graphics card is not properly identifying itself. I say this because in "System Info" the "model" is blank, and also when I used Ubuntu on this computer, I had the same issue with the catalyst driver for Ubuntu)

I'm OK with that. What way would I install the driver?
    Wait! You did install the driver already. You can install the driver even if atiupgrade gives you a warning and that's what you did. It was right.
    Please do NOT reinstall the driver! It could only get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Wait! You did install the driver already. You can install the driver even if atiupgrade gives you a warning and that's what you did. It was right.
    Please do NOT reinstall the driver! It could only get worse.
    OK. A bit more info:

I ran Catalyst Control Center and it is listing my GPU as "[VX2453 Series] AMD Radeon HD 6140D". That may not mean anything, but I thought I'd mention it.

I solved the Black borders!! I went into Catalyst Control Center and for some reason, the scaling options were set to 10% (which made it have a black border around the screen and made the screen smaller than the monitor). I then set it to 0% scaling and it's not the perfect size!

EDIT: However, desktop effects do NOT work. They did work with fbdev driver, but not with this radeon or fglrx driver.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post

Code:
    No ATI graphic card detected. Do you want to continue? [yn]
    If you know that your graphic card is supported, you can safely continue here. You can also run atiupgrade on a nvidia machine if all you want is to build the fglrx package and say no to zypper later when it asks for confirmation before installing it.

Blog Entries

OK. A bit more info:

I ran Catalyst Control Center and it is listing my GPU as "[VX2453 Series] AMD Radeon HD 6140D". That may not mean anything, but I thought I'd mention it.
    6140D or 6410D ?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast