Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sound on HDMI

Default No sound on HDMI

I have HDMI working perfectly for video but no sound occurs. I installed pavucontrol and started a DVD in VLC and opened pavucontrol and set it to use the HDMI audio. The blue bar underneath shopws the sound is working and received (the blue bar moves quickly back and forth) but no sound comes out the speakers. I also tried booting with "radeon.audio=1" but again, no sound. I'm wondering if the catalyst proprietary drivers could solve the issue. I am afraid it could screw up the video though, so is there a way to install those drivers but then be able to uninstall them and go back to the default generic ones if there's an issue?

My setup:
    CPU: AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2,700.00 MHz
    RAM: 3.6 GiB
    Kernel: Linux 3.1.0-1.2-desktop x86_64
    Desktop: KDE 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5"
    GPU: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6410D
    2D driver: fbdev
    3D driver: swrast (No 3D Acceleration) (7.11)

Blog Entries

Default Re: No sound on HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I have HDMI working perfectly for video but no sound occurs. I installed pavucontrol and started a DVD in VLC and opened pavucontrol and set it to use the HDMI audio. The blue bar underneath shopws the sound is working and received (the blue bar moves quickly back and forth) but no sound comes out the speakers. I also tried booting with "radeon.audio=1" but again, no sound. I'm wondering if the catalyst proprietary drivers could solve the issue. I am afraid it could screw up the video though, so is there a way to install those drivers but then be able to uninstall them and go back to the default generic ones if there's an issue?

My setup:
    Kernel: Linux 3.1.0-1.2-desktop x86_64
    Desktop: KDE 4.7.2 (4.7.2) "release 5"
    GPU: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6410D
    2D driver: fbdev
    3D driver: swrast (No 3D Acceleration) (7.11)
    2D driver = fbdev ? That suggests (if correct, and it may not be as I have discovered it not a reliable indication) that your PC is not even using the 'radeon' graphic driver. Clearly the fbdev graphic driver does NOT support HDMI.

So while the radeon.audio=1 boot code is ESSENTIAL for the radeon graphic driver (because the HDMI audio module is disabled by default in kernel >=3.0 for the radeon driver) , 1st you need to be using the radeon graphic driver.

Please do the following to provide us more information.

(1) As a regular user with a text editor (say kwrite) open the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copy its contents and paste its contents to the site SUSE Paste, and press 'create' and post here the website URL it gives. That will allow us to inspect your graphic configuration.

(2) Second, as a regular user run the following diagnostic audio script with your PC connected to the Internet:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and select the UPLOAD/SHARE option and then complete the script. When the script has finished running it will provide you a website URL where the script output with your PC audio configuration is located. Please post that website URL here. Its possible the settings we get from this will be no good if indeed your PC is not running the 'radeon' graphic driver.

Thanks for helping!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    2D driver = fbdev ?
    This is all the default stuff, so I have no idea about why anything is set as it is. But my monitor is plugged in via the HDMI cable.

(1) As a regular user with a text editor (say kwrite) open the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copy its contents and paste its contents to the site SUSE Paste, and press 'create' and post here the website URL it gives. That will allow us to inspect your graphic configuration.
    My Xorg.0.log on SUSE Paste

(2) Second, as a regular user run the following diagnostic audio script with your PC connected to the Internet:
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh
    and select the UPLOAD/SHARE option and then complete the script. When the script has finished running it will provide you a website URL where the script output with your PC audio configuration is located. Please post that website URL here. Its possible the settings we get from this will be no good if indeed your PC is not running the 'radeon' graphic driver.
    http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=41...af7222aaa9a124

Blog Entries

Your /var/log/Xorg.0.log output confrims what oldcpu suspected - the fbdev driver is being loaded, and the radeonhd/radeon drivers are not used. This needs to be solved first.
    Code:
    [    32.496] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
    [    32.496] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
    [    32.497] (**) FBDEV(0): claimed PCI slot 0@0:1:0
    [    32.497] (II) FBDEV(0): using default device
    [    32.497] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    [    32.497] (II) FBDEV(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
            "Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
    [    32.497] (==) FBDEV(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
    [    32.497] (==) FBDEV(0): RGB weight 888
    [    32.497] (==) FBDEV(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    [    32.497] (==) FBDEV(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    [    32.497] (II) FBDEV(0): hardware: radeondrmfb (video memory: 8100kB)
    [    32.497] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against framebuffer device...
    [    32.497] (II) FBDEV(0): checking modes against monitor...
    [    32.497] (--) FBDEV(0): Virtual size is 1920x1080 (pitch 1920)
    [    32.497] (**) FBDEV(0):  Built-in mode "current"
    [    32.497] (==) FBDEV(0): DPI set to (96, 96)
    [    32.497] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
    [    32.497] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
    [    32.498] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libfb.so
    [    32.506] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [    32.506]    compiled for 1.10.4, module version = 1.0.0
    [    32.506]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
    [    32.506] (**) FBDEV(0): using shadow framebuffer
    [    32.507] (II) Loading sub module "shadow"
    [    32.507] (II) LoadModule: "shadow"
    [    32.507] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
    [    32.508] (II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [    32.508]    compiled for 1.10.4, module version = 1.1.0
    [    32.508]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
    [    32.508] (II) UnloadModule: "radeonhd"
    [    32.508] (II) Unloading radeonhd
    [    32.508] (II) UnloadModule: "radeon"
    [    32.508] (II) Unloading radeon
    [    32.508] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
    [    32.508] (II) Unloading vesa
    [    32.508] (==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp

Blog Entries

Have you tried using the proprietary AMD Catalyst driver?

Blog Entries

Clearly the fbdev graphic driver does NOT support HDMI.
    I should have stated "Clearly the fbdev graphic driver does NOT support HDMI audio".

Blog Entries

I have HDMI working perfectly for video but no sound occurs.
    IMHO it could be working MUCH better for video ... although it reads you are content with it for video, and that is good !

I assume you have regular sound ... but have no HDMI sound. Is that correct ?

My setup:
    CPU: AMD A4-3400 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2,700.00 MHz
    ...GPU: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 6410D
    I'm trying to find evidence that the open source radeon driver supports the HD 6410D and thus far I can not find any indication this is the case. When I look here: AMD Radeon HD 6410D Benchmarks, Reviews, Open-Source Tests, Linux Information - OpenBenchmarking.org it is pretty much all the proprietary driver.

When I type :
    Code:
    man radeon
    I read no indication that the openSUSE packaged version of the open source radeon graphic driver supports the HD 6410D.

Hence IMHO you need to follow deano_ferrari's suggestion to use the proprietary graphic driver if you wish to get HDMI sound functioning. I recall robin_listas in essence stated the same to you (without any details) in a thread here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2421905

Blog Entries

I'm trying to find evidence that the open source radeon driver supports the HD 6410D and thus far I can not find any indication this is the case.
    According to the AMD fusion wiki the Radeon HD 6410D (codename WinterPark, Sumo2) was released in Jun 20, 2011.

Given both the radeon open source driver release cycle and the openSUSE-12.1 release cycle, that is too soon to see support for that driver in the open source radeon driver implementation in openSUSE-12.1 IMHO.

IMHO your only options are:
    • fbdev driver which you are using now, which has VERY slow performance but is highly compatible (but no HDMI audio)
    • vesa driver which should be faster than the FBDEV, but still relatively slow (but no HDMI audio)
    • fglrx (proprietary AMD Catalyst) driver which will provide good performance and HDMI audio

Blog Entries

I'm wondering if the catalyst proprietary drivers could solve the issue. I am afraid it could screw up the video though, so is there a way to install those drivers but then be able to uninstall them and go back to the default generic ones if there's an issue?
    That Catalyst driver should solve this (providing HDMI audio) ... although my experience is the 11.12 Catalyst driver is a bit buggy for 12.1. AMD release a new Catalyst driver version every month, and I'm hoping their 'late January" (or possibly instead in 'early February' ) release of this driver will be better.

Yes it is possible to roll back after installing this Catalyst driver. I recommend you learn how to roll back BEFORE installing. And since there are a few ways to install the driver, you need to know how to roll back for the way in which you plan to install the driver. I only use the manual method (also called the 'hardway (which is not hard) ' to install the driver so I can't help much wrt the other ways.

My recommendation is you (1) start a NEW THREAD asking for help in the installation of the proprietary driver. (2) Then AFTER you have that sorted, come back to this thread for help with the HDMI Audio.

I'm trying to find evidence that the open source radeon driver supports the HD 6410D and thus far I can not find any indication this is the case. ...
    When I type :
    Code:
    man radeon
    I read no indication that the openSUSE packaged version of the open source radeon graphic driver supports the HD 6410D.
    I have machines with kernel-desktop-3.1.6 and kernel-desktop-3.1.4 from .../repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/
    They both have:
    Code:
    SUPPORTED HARDWARE
           RV710/RV730 Radeon HD 4330/4350/4550/4650/4670/5145/5165/530v/545v/560v/565v
          SUMO/SUMO2  Radeon HD 6370/6380/6410/6480/6520/6530/6550/6620
    in man radeon.
    My laptop has an integrated HD4330 using the radeon driver. Unfortunately I do not have anything with an HDMI input here to test whether it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast