Hibernate (pm-hibernate)

Hello ;=)

i’m trying to use pm-suspend and pm-hibernate with 12.1 and kde 4.7.4 , commands can be tried at console using root login.

pm-suspend seems ok

pm-hibernate despite log seems ok gives a strange result :
splash error -10, than swap is too small error (it’s 2 gb though) , then screen is turned off and a few seconds after this turned on again,
2d time gives only the 1st error, no more swap error but same result : screen is On after a few seconds.

Is there something i can do to help with this ?

ps : Happy new year to all of you ;=)

# pm-suspend
 # cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log
redirecting to systemctl

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/06autofs resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/02rtcwake resume suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/02rtcwake resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave resume suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging resume suspend: success.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Sat Dec 31 22:01:46 CET 2011: Finished. 

linux-121:~ # pm-hibernate

linux-121:~ # cat /var/log/pm-suspend.log

redirecting to systemctl                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/06autofs thaw hibernate: success.                                                                                                                                                                                  
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/02rtcwake thaw hibernate:                                                                                                                                                                             

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/02rtcwake thaw hibernate: success.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave thaw hibernate:                                                                                                                                                                           

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00powersave thaw hibernate: success.                                                                                                                                                                               
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging thaw hibernate:                                                                                                                                                                             

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00logging thaw hibernate: success.                                                                                                                                                                                 
Sat Dec 31 22:03:28 CET 2011: Finished.  

I don’t have the answer here, and unfortunately, with the switch to systemd, the log output is not verbose:

A similar recent thread that may be of interest:

http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/470088-pm-suspend-logfile-pm-suspend-log-almost-empty.html

manchette fr wrote:

> pm-hibernate despite log seems ok gives a strange result :
> splash error -10, than swap is too small error (it’s 2 gb though)

How much ram memory do you have?
When suspending to disk (hibernate) the content of your ram memory gets
written to disk, and therefore you must have enough swap space that matches
at least the size of your ram memory.

Chris Maaskant

wow, i missed this

my ram is 4 gb and my swap 2 gb …

i wanted to increase my swap to 5 gb, i then decreased my /home of 3 gb from gparted with partition magic live cd and then gparted would not increase the swap to 5 gb …

i then erased the 2 gb swap , so i had 5 gb unalocated space, but again gparted would now allow me to create a new partition of 5 gb with swap fs. i was only able to create a 3 gb swap from yast.
How come ?

Hi

I’m fairly new to linux (3 days), and started with openSUSE, because Ubuntu with KDE seemed somehow off… And i wanted KDE because its mainly written in Qt, don’t ask me why…

When I installed it, i could not define bigger swap than 2GB, although i have 4GB RAM (minus 0.5 for the GPU, because AMD E-350 APU’s integrated graphics), so I essentially reproduced your problem.
I run into a screen flash loop, when suspending almost finishes.

I don’t want to install again, so could you tell me how did you manage it?
I have read that i could make a swap file, but currently it isn’t implemented to resume from it after hibernation.
So which liveCD you suggest? Something which can run in ram only mode, and finish what you started

Hi Samonitari, and welcome.

There are a few points to note on swap:

1. swap size don’t necessarily need to be the same as your RAM, it can be less and suspend to RAM will work if the “non-cache” RAM is less than or equal to swap size. In KDE4 you can install the widget systemloadviewer (available in the default installation) and it will show you how much RAM is effectively used - in this system, although most of the RAM is used, only 33% is system and application data, the rest is HD cache that will be discarded when suspending.

2. The swap partition usually comes before the system/home partition(s) is the natural other of things in HD-land, and you can only increase a partition size into empty (non-partitioned) contiguous space right after it. Not before, and not if there is something (another partition) between the partition you want to resize and the empty (non-partitioned) space.

One option would be to resize your largest/emptiest partition (usually home) to 4GB less (wich will shrink the end of the partition) and create a new swap partition in this now-empty space. I’d use the Parted Magic live CD for this, you can grab it at:
downloads – Parted Magic

Good luck.

I also wanted to do something like that, however after a friend of mine told me it could take a while, and i also messed up the system in some other ways, i reinstalled it, kepping the home partition and resizing the root and swap during the process.
Unfortunetly i also listened to another person who didn’t hear about btrfs and snapper, to use ext4 insted of ‘that’, so now i messed up the ability to use the ‘Sands of Time in system management’ (isn’t it?). I just read about that after the whole reinstall session.

There were some educating moments: the live install really wanted me to delete all the partitions, because the hard disk needded a label (GPT, or something like that). I figured it is just because the live install detected the pendrive as a candidate hardware for the /boot. My first install was a full DVD one, which obviouly didn’t have to deal with this matter of choice.

The funny is it looks like the swap size was not the only problem…