Thread: Can't write to NTFS partition, while logged into XP

Default Can't write to NTFS partition, while logged into XP

When Gnome 2 was available, I automounted an NTFS storage partition with no problems. I switched to KDE when Gnome 3 came out and then, when I logged into XP, I was unable to write to the NTFS storage partition. I switched to XFCE and hoped that the problem would go away (I was planning to switch anyway), but I'm still not able to write to the partition under XP. Everything works fine in openSuse.

Did I somehow alter my partition in a way that affects the permissions in XP? How can I revert back? Can I do it without a complicated user map?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Can't write to NTFS partition, while logged into XP

Quote Originally Posted by xpacker View Post
    When Gnome 2 was available, I automounted an NTFS storage partition with no problems. I switched to KDE when Gnome 3 came out and then, when I logged into XP, I was unable to write to the NTFS storage partition. I switched to XFCE and hoped that the problem would go away (I was planning to switch anyway), but I'm still not able to write to the partition under XP. Everything works fine in openSuse.

Did I somehow alter my partition in a way that affects the permissions in XP? How can I revert back? Can I do it without a complicated user map?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Its not clear to me if you are trying to write to a connected Hard Drive or write to a separate Windows XP computer from a Linux machine. You did not mention your openSUSE version and if 32 or 64 bit. For two PC's, one openSUSE and the other Windows XP, look at using SAMBA:

Samba S.W.A.T. - Samba Web Administration Tool Setup for openSUSE - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

For NTFS drives connected to a local PC, look at message #20 here:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...nt-hdds-2.html

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Can't write to NTFS partition, while logged into XP

Thanks for the response. Actually, I figured out my problem: I had been using fstab settings from another computer, forgetting that the other computer's extra partition is ext4, not NTFS. I just manually set my fstab, and all is well again. Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't write to NTFS partition, while logged into XP

Quote Originally Posted by xpacker View Post
    Thanks for the response. Actually, I figured out my problem: I had been using fstab settings from another computer, forgetting that the other computer's extra partition is ext4, not NTFS. I just manually set my fstab, and all is well again. Thanks!
    That is good news to hear xpacker. I see that it was six months or so since your first message post for this problem. Did you just fix it recently or did it just take a while to get back with us? Anyway, its true you need to use the auto-created fstab file in openSUSE. Many don't know you can use the YaST Partitioner to mount any existing partitions, which adds the correct fstab entry for you as well and something to consider in the future. For instance, If I added a new hard drive and used Windows to format it in a dual boot setup, I could then use the YaST Partitioner in openSUSE to mount, create a dedicated mount folder, like /windows/D and to add all the right stuff in my fstab file without knowing a thing about making new entries to that fstab file. Anyway, thanks for letting us know of your success.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas