Thread: Information on VM's in Linux

Blog Entries

Default Re: Information on VM's in Linux

libvirt: VirtualBox hypervisor driver

This is actually what I was talking about as I said that you can manage VirtualBox machines with libvirt and use the same GUI interface (virt-manager) you would use for kvm and Xen vms. But I never tried with VirtualBox.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Information on VM's in Linux

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    libvirt: VirtualBox hypervisor driver This is actually what I was talking about as I said that you can manage VirtualBox machines with libvirt and use the same GUI interface (virt-manager) you would use for kvm and Xen vms. But I never tried with VirtualBox.
    So, if my computer was a VM server only, I might use such a tool as a running a desktop just wastes resources, but I would not use it becuase of the fact that I do use a Desktop all of the time and my PC is not used to serve up VM's remotely. Now I do appreciate the links please_try_again. I wonder if you wanted to put together a procedure for running VM's remotely as I have never tried that myself? And of course, bring on those useful links.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

I think the term "running remotely" is a bit inapt. What you really mean is run it without a GUI, using RDP, or headless, without a display, whether the host is physically near you or not. VBox has had the capabilities for this for a long time. You can run it with displaying to RDP (requires the Oracle extension though), or headless. I find headless mode useful for running servers in a VM where it's in CLI mode anyway and I don't need to see the console.

Also on the VBox home page there is a link to the phpVirtualBox project which allows you to manage VBox via a web interface.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So, if my computer was a VM server only, I might use such a tool as a running a desktop just wastes resources, but I would not use it becuase of the fact that I do use a Desktop all of the time and my PC is not used to serve up VM's remotely.
    Yes. As I already mentioned in other posts, you could also use vm-create (include in the same package as vboxlive) to create vms on the remote server running libvirtd and kvm. Here's an example: openSUSE 11.4 - vm installation guide

Now I do appreciate the links please_try_again. I wonder if you wanted to put together a procedure for running VM's remotely as I have never tried that myself?
    It's uncomplicated. With virt-manager, you just need connect to a remote server over ssh. You can start, shut down and administrate vms on the localhost and on remote servers. But you really need kvm for serious things. VirtualBox is good (an also better than kvm) for running a couple Windows virtual machines on your desktop computer. If you need more, kvm is more approriate. IMO a kvm guest running FreeNX provides a good remote desktop. You can start the vm remotely, don't need to startx, don't need to use a (slow) vnc viewer. As soon as the vm has booted, connect to it with nx-client and login in kde, Gnome ... or whatever, or just an xterm (not a ssh tunneling X locally but a real xterm on the remote desktop).

I was wrong though with VirtualBox support in virt-manager. It looks like it is still not implemented. But it is in libvirt and so in virsh (the libvirt shell). Version 0.9.6 from the standard repo doesn't seem to support the latest VirtualBox APIs, but I read version 0.9.7 does.

Code:
    # LIBVIRT_LOG_FILTERS=1:vbox virsh -c vbox:///session

WARNING: no socket to connect to
    17:43:49.813: 8283: info : libvirt version: 0.9.6
    17:43:49.813: 8283: debug : tryLoadOne:163 : Found VBoxXPCOMC.so in '/usr/lib/virtualbox'
    17:43:49.813: 8283: debug : vboxRegister:94 : VBoxCGlueInit found API version: 4.1.8 (4001008)
    17:43:49.813: 8283: debug : vboxRegister:126 : Unsupport VirtualBox API version
    error: internal error unable to initialize VirtualBox driver API
    error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
    I haven't installed libvirt from the virtualization repo. I know I should but ...

Blog Entries

So this is very interesting to be sure. I don't even remote control a PC right now for any reason and so there would be lots of things to get into, but I can setup a computer to give this all a try. Perhaps KVM is the way to go if we all know if works that way.

Thank You,

So this is very interesting to be sure. I don't even remote control a PC right now for any reason and so there would be lots of things to get into, but I can setup a computer to give this all a try. Perhaps KVM is the way to go if we all know if works that way.
    I told you that already, James: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/o...ml#post2379130

Ram is cheap at the moment. Set up a computer with a lot of ram in a corner and use vm-create to create vms on it and virt-manager and/or virsh to manage them. If you like it, you can help me maintain this script ... because it looks like I won't get the time in the next .... years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    I told you that already, James: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/o...ml#post2379130

Ram is cheap at the moment. Set up a computer with a lot of ram in a corner and use vm-create to create vms on it and virt-manager and/or virsh to manage them. If you like it, you can help me maintain this script ... because it looks like I won't get the time in the next .... years.
    Hey memory is not my strong suite, in computers or in my head. , but I will check it out. I have been playing with Chrome tonight while at the same time the forum has been having some sort of pregnant pauses so, you got to cut me some slack or whatever. Perhaps actually, I just need some sleep and then it will all make more sense Tomorrow. Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I love ya Tomorrow! You're always Just A day A way!

Thank You,

Tomorrow is another night.