Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse 11.4 and Windows 7 boot problem. Win7 will not boot.

Default Re: OpenSuse 11.4 and Windows 7 boot problem. Win7 will not boot.

Yes, it does. Only that i cannot connect to the partition where windows is installed. It's not recognized. OpenSuse does recognize only my other two windows partitions( where i do not have an operating system installed). This is my main problem : the partition where windows is installed is not recognized.

Blog Entries

They are
    Look

# cat /etc/fstab
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500BEVS-22UST0_WD-WXC108469413-part8 / ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500BEVS-22UST0_WD-WXC108469413-part9 /home ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500BEVS-22UST0_WD-WXC108469413-part1 /windows/C ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500BEVS-22UST0_WD-WXC108469413-part5 /windows/D ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD2500BEVS-22UST0_WD-WXC108469413-part6 /windows/E ntfs-3g users,gid=users,fmask=133,dmask=022,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
    debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0

Are you using gnome or kde
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    This rediculous
    You don't need all this mount mumbo jumbo

Opening windows partitions works out of the box, you'll just be requested your admin password.
    OK, I do not use MS Windows except one case within virtual machines. But how can you open a windows partition when it cannot be mounted? It looked as if the fstab entry was OK, but there was no filesystem mounted on /windows/C .The purpose of the "mumbo jumbo" was to determine whether the filesystem could be mounted without depending on any configuration files.

Alas it appears that the first partition does not have a serviceable ntfs filesystem. At this point I would make a copy of the partition using dd ro dd_rescue, and seek advice from someone with experience of recovering NTFS.. Maybe ntfsfix and another attempt to boot int MS Win7 is all that is needed, but I have never done this.

Quote Originally Posted by adisiilinca View Post
    Yes, it does. Only that i cannot connect to the partition where windows is installed. It's not recognized. OpenSuse does recognize only my other two windows partitions( where i do not have an operating system installed). This is my main problem : the partition where windows is installed is not recognized.
    Maybe it's encrypted or formated in some way that Linux can not read it.
    What's the output of :

Code:
    file -s /dev/sda1

output of " file -s /dev/sda1 " is :

Code:
    /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS    ", 
    sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 255, hidden sectors 63, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)

you can also try the following command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sda1 bs=512 count=1 2>/dev/null | strings
    and post the output ...

It will tell us if it looks like a bootable Windows bootsector.... or if it's completely garbaged.

it doesn't look very good :
    Code:
    s
    NTFS    
    NTFSu
    TCPAu$
    fSfSfU
    fY[ZfYfY
    A disk read error occurred
    BOOTMGR is missing
    BOOTMGR is compressed
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

What did you do exactly? You had Windows working before. You installed Linux, and now you're not able to boot Windows from Grub? Is it the problem you're having now?

Does the Win-7 install DVD have a "system repair" ability? Or cannot a working Win-7 machine not create a "system repair CD"? If that worked, presumably then booting into "recovery" mode from a linux CD/DVD would enable the MBR, and partition boot flag to be restored to recovery dual-boot.

Quote Originally Posted by adisiilinca View Post
    it doesn't look very good :
    Code:
    s
    NTFS    
    NTFSu
    TCPAu$
    fSfSfU
    fY[ZfYfY
    A disk read error occurred
    BOOTMGR is missing
    BOOTMGR is compressed
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
    No, it looks OK. The last 4 lines should look like this. These are the error messages which are displayed if Windows fails to boot. I'm not so sure about the rest. I'm not using WIndows myself and I cannot compare with a primary Windows partition ... but maybe somebody else here could. It doesn't look damaged but it can still be encrypted. In this case, you won't be able to boot it from Grub. It happens sometimes.

Why don't you try to set the bootflag on sda1 (as I assume you didn't install Grub in MBR)? You might succeed to boot Windows that way ... but only Windows. You would have to set the bootflag back on sda2 in order to boot Linux ... and because it's an extended partition*, you can not simply do it with diskpart in Windows (although it's not simple) and you'll have to boot a live CD. But that's what I would try if I had to boot Windows (fortunately it's not going to happen ).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast