Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I take print in VirtualBox

Default Re: How can I take print in VirtualBox

That means that your USB doesn't work in Virtualbox. I think you said the guest additions/extensions were installed, so have a look in your machine details in VB without starting it. What does it say in the USB section? I never needed to define any device filters but you could try. Do you have any other USB devices (mouse, USB stick, scanner) that you could try?
    Never installed a printer in Ubuntu, but I assume it uses CUPS? Did openSUSE automatically detect your printer or did you have to install a proprietary driver? Have a look at CUPS in openSUSE and what it says about your printer and see if there's any clues.
    First task is to establish beyond doubt whether it's a problem with the USB support in Virtualbox, or with the printer in Ubuntu.
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

opensuse121 NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by gminnerup View Post
    That means that your USB doesn't work in Virtualbox. I think you said the guest additions/extensions were installed, so have a look in your machine details in VB without starting it. What does it say in the USB section? I never needed to define any device filters but you could try. Do you have any other USB devices (mouse, USB stick, scanner) that you could try?
    Never installed a printer in Ubuntu, but I assume it uses CUPS? Did openSUSE automatically detect your printer or did you have to install a proprietary driver? Have a look at CUPS in openSUSE and what it says about your printer and see if there's any clues.
    First task is to establish beyond doubt whether it's a problem with the USB support in Virtualbox, or with the printer in Ubuntu.
    Yes extensions pack was installed. Amazingly when I added the printer in the 'usb filter device' option of 'USB" section, it is working, I simply didn't understand the reason that without it, printer won't work. If you never defined any device filter, did it work? I had to define else it didn't, I don't know the reason behind it..... I tried with another USB pen drive also, but again, I had to define it in the same location..! openSUSE automatically detected the printer but the drivers were not found! I had to search and install the drivers for my old Samsung printer. I didn't see the CUPS ever, but just installed the driver and the printer always works in the host openSUSE 11.4.

Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    Yes extensions pack was installed. Amazingly when I added the printer in the 'usb filter device' option of 'USB" section, it is working, I simply didn't understand the reason that without it, printer won't work. If you never defined any device filter, did it work? I had to define else it didn't, I don't know the reason behind it..... I tried with another USB pen drive also, but again, I had to define it in the same location..! openSUSE automatically detected the printer but the drivers were not found! I had to search and install the drivers for my old Samsung printer. I didn't see the CUPS ever, but just installed the driver and the printer always works in the host openSUSE 11.4.
    Well OK, we're getting somewhere, and that's good news! Maybe the reason I never needed USB device filters is because I'm using VB for Windows mainly, but who cares? You got it to work, that's all that matters.
    As to CUPS, I think all Linux distros use it for printer configuration, but it's not always obvious. You can use YAST to configure printers but all that matters in the end is CUPS. Do some googling about CUPS, it's well worth it if you want to learn about printers and Linux. Apple Macs use it too, in fact it's copyright Apple if I remember correctly...
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.

opensuse121 NNTP User

Ok well, I would see the CUPS too, but thanks that it ultimately worked, really who cares for why and how. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12