Thread: Sound or Pulseaudio issues on emulators/games

Default Sound or Pulseaudio issues on emulators/games

I used to play some of my PS1 games using an emulator called "pSX emulator" back on openSUSE 11.3 x86_64. It just required some libraries (albeit 32-bit ones) to be installed and be given execution permissions to be able to run.
    Now I tried it on 12.1 x86_64 and I got this error:

[src/linux/sound.cpp, line 215]: 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle,hwparams,SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED)' returned 'Invalid argument'
    pad=0
    Segmentation fault

I was told there were some sound changes since 11.4, I don't remember if related to ALSA/Pulseaudio, but in the end I thought that could be the cause of the error.
    I was recently suggested to kill Pulseaudio with the command
    Code:
    killall -9 pulseaudio
    whcih could also work for other many games to work properly on recent Linux distributions.

I'm not at home right now, thus haven't tried it. But I wanted to ask, would that command work? What sound changes were made in openSUSE to get that error above?
    Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Sound or Pulseaudio issues on emulators/games

Apparently it didn't work. Any help about this? Thanks.

I would use an emulator that is... well, still developed (PCSX-Reloaded). But yes, probably PulseAudio can not be used through the ALSA API if the app is trying to use MMAP.

I don't know if that emulator allows to select the sound device. But the easy fix is to just use ALSA. Remove the "alsa-plugins-pulse" package, and perhaps reboot. With that ALSA apps will use ALSA. That will conflict with PulseAudio, but you can disable it temporally or just remove it.

I'd also like to use a still-alive emulator, but PCSX-Reloaded seems to have kind of slow development and several issues on still various games, unless I'm wrong...
    I liked pSX emulator because it's very easy to use and has wide game compatibility, being only surpassed by ePSXe, though it also seems a dead project...