Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: consumption of the kernel

  1. #1

    Default consumption of the kernel

    Hello,

    the problem with the power consumption of the kernels higher than 2.6.37 Do they affect only to laptops or also desktops?

    My motherboard Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 is located between those affected. I have no laptop but I doubt installing opensuse 12.1 per if I can increase the power consumption of pc.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by jony127 View Post
    Hello,

    the problem with the power consumption of the kernels higher than 2.6.37 Do they affect only to laptops or also desktops?

    My motherboard Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 is located between those affected. I have no laptop but I doubt installing opensuse 12.1 per if I can increase the power consumption of pc.

    Thank you.
    The kernel by itself has no energy consumption. Your mainboard has. The problem with the linux kernel higher then 2.6.37 is given by an error of the mainboard manufacturers. Faulty implementation of the standards causes a higher energy consumption because the PCI-e ACPI function is not working correctly under normal standards, while the linux kernel which instead is using the function correctly. The recent patch for energy consumption (that is doing nothing more then mimicking the error behaviour as work around that is doing windows), has not been AFAIK implemented in openSUSE 12.1. I do not see however how this could give a problem with your PC or the aforementioned main-board. It does not cause overheating, it just causes higher consumption while idle and this means the autonomy of a laptop will go down from let's say 6:40 hours to maybe 4 h. No battery is breaking because of this (this is simply FUD spread). There is no problem with overheating of normal main-board chip-set, nor does it cause any problem to a fix PC. Not even to a micro-ATX, since the ventilation is largely sufficient.
    I therefore do not really understand your problem?
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:46:02 +0000, jony127 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > the problem with the power consumption of the kernels higher than 2.6.37
    > Do they affect only to laptops or also desktops?
    >
    > My motherboard Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 is located between those affected. I
    > have no laptop but I doubt installing opensuse 12.1 per if I can
    > increase the power consumption of pc.


    I use openSUSE 12.1 on both laptops and desktops alike - if you've got an
    Intel processor, try installing powertop and see if that helps you
    identify what's consuming power.

    Note that the power consumption issues that have been reported are mostly
    caused by the Linux kernel now asking what capabilities the hardware has
    and then trying to use them - and some hardware apparently reports fewer
    capabilities than it actually has for saving power.

    There are some workarounds posted in various threads that you should look
    into using.

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  4. #4

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    My question was about whether I can increase my consumption pc desktop or only affects laptop .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by jony127 View Post
    My question was about whether I can increase my consumption pc desktop or only affects laptop .
    The answer is, compared to before, it will not "decrease" your consumption as efficiently as it could with a laptop. This will have an impact only if your PC is a) running on an UPS system during a power break, b) if you are using a laptop d) if you have a device which is expected to be constant on and also not ventilated (e.g. some legacy technology in a train-station display or public bus info system.
    What cannot happen:

    • you will not experience higher consumption then the one expected by your manufacturer. The worst case scenario will give you full usage of the components during calculation. However this will be important for the PCI-e components AFAIK, as the CPU is correctly handled. The expected symptoms would be, if ever, a stronger (thus slightly noisier activity of the system fan. I heard of no desktop users that would be aware of the problem. The only ones complaining so far have been the laptop users of selected machines.
    • it is not known that the issue would have engendered any hardware damage. It is therefore not a problem that in a normal machine would cause you any trouble. I have it running on a fix PC and I do not encounter any issue compared to previous versions (AMD/Nvidia Chip-set).

    So I would do as every user does.
    • If your former system is still perfectly working, does not lack of any functionality you do desire and is functioning to your satisfaction, my advice would be "do not change a winning team" at least up to the end of support. You may change however to the current version 12.1 in e.g. March as it will be very stabilized by then.
    • If you have a system that is not satisfying you, that is not giving you access to a functionality that instead the newer one would promise, I would update.

    Hope that helps.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:06:02 +0000, jony127 wrote:

    > My question was about whether I can increase my consumption pc desktop
    > or only affects laptop .


    If your laptop is an Intel-based system, you can try using powertop to
    see what's using power and to tune your system to more efficiently use
    the battery.

    I did that with my Dell laptop, and managed about 3 hours from the stock
    battery. It wasn't doing a lot during that time, but you can flip the
    governor to 'conservative' and it'll keep the CPU from going above the
    minimum speed, which helps a lot, especially in a multi-core system.

    Disabling things like bluetooth and wireless when not in use also will
    increase battery life.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 13:06:02 +0000, jony127 wrote:

    > My question was about whether I can increase my consumption pc desktop
    > or only affects laptop .


    If your laptop is an Intel-based system, you can try using powertop to
    see what's using power and to tune your system to more efficiently use
    the battery.

    I did that with my Dell laptop, and managed about 3 hours from the stock
    battery. It wasn't doing a lot during that time, but you can flip the
    governor to 'conservative' and it'll keep the CPU from going above the
    minimum speed, which helps a lot, especially in a multi-core system.

    Disabling things like bluetooth and wireless when not in use also will
    increase battery life.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at openSUSE Forums FAQ
    Jim, he has a Gigabyte X48T-DQ6, that is a PC. He does not have a laptop and he was somehow unsure if that "powerconsumption" could be a problem for him, having a fix machine. No battery AFAIK, see the first thread.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,037

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 23:56:02 +0000, stakanov wrote:

    > Jim, he has a Gigabyte X48T-DQ6, that is a PC. He does not have a laptop
    > and he was somehow unsure if that "powerconsumption" could be a problem
    > for him, having a fix machine. No battery AFAIK, see the first thread.


    True that it's a PC, but if it's an Intel-based PC, powertop should still
    give him ideas about how power is being used by the system, and adjusting
    some of the parameters will still affect the amount of power the system
    uses/needs.

    Jim



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Fictionland
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: consumption of the kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 23:56:02 +0000, stakanov wrote:
    True that it's a PC, but if it's an Intel-based PC, powertop should still
    give him ideas about how power is being used by the system, and adjusting
    some of the parameters will still affect the amount of power the system
    uses/needs.
    Agreed upon. But I understood he had some not better defined fears about hardware consequences for his machine. There aren't as i could think of. BTW. seasonal greetings. Hope you get gifts and not charcoal bricks. ;-) (like me getting it all the years LOL, I am the classical "bad boy").
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •