Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stupid 12.1

Exclamation stupid 12.1

I've used SUSE for more than six years and each new version coming out always give me surprising more or less. However, I found the most recent 12.1 is really disappointed, especially the gnome desktop:

1. I don't find any difference and surprise with this gnome3 while comparing with other linux distribution.

2. When I switch to gnome2-like environment, I am getting very angry. How can SUSE become as stupid as Ubuntu? The gnome2-like environment is almost the same as Ubuntu..... The menu, the task bar color and so on. Why can't SUSE keep its own uniques? The SUSE menu in 10.0 till 11.4 is quit nice and creative. Why did this 12.1 switch to stupid Ubuntu like style?

3. What's worse. The workspace switcher in gnome2-like environment is the same as 10.0 version: when we use "only show current workspace", it can only show ONE workspace, and others are all gone......

12.1, Progress or backwards?

To be honest as a Linux user, the stupid gnome3 don't have even a little tinny tiny attraction to me. I do hope the SUSE developer can design SUSE from the aspects of users. If I were a SUSE developer, I will pay more attention to the stability and general interface of SUSE.

May SUSE a bright future.

A SUSE Lover

Blog Entries

Default Re: stupid 12.1

It is not completely clear what you are saying there.

openSUSE 12.1 comes with Gnome 3.2. There's no way of going back to gnome-2, unless you do a lot of work yourself.

Gnome-3.2 does have a "fallback mode". Perhaps that's what you are talking about. I'll assume that it is.

I'm a KDE user, but I do have gnome installed also, and when I use gnome, I use it in fallback mode. With gnome 3 in fallback mode, I see 4 workspaces on the switcher. I seem to recall that I right clicked on the switcher and selected "settings" or "prerences" or similar. There, I could set the number of workspaces and the number of rows in the switch.

I do seem to recall that it was a bit confusing. The first time I tried, I didn't find all of those settings. So maybe there's more than one menu to select from and I chose the wrong one.

There are many people who don't like Gnome 3 (including me). But there are others who think it is really great. Don't blame the openSUSE team for moving to gnome-3. It was appropriate to use the latest gnome version. Your argument should be with the Gnome developers. Actually, better not to argue - either learn to live with Gnome 3, or switch to KDE or to XFCE. I think you would find XFCE closer to Gnome 2.

For myself, I was a long time Gnome user but I switched to KDE around 18 months ago because I could somehow see that the Gnome people had ideas about desktops that I didn't find congenial. I'm glad I changed. I would be just as happy with XFCE as with KDE, except I prefer the KDE handling of the touchpad on my laptop. For that matter, using Gnome 3 in fallback mode is also pretty good, except that they made it harder to find some of the controls.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

On 12/21/2011 02:36 PM, nrickert wrote:
    > It is not completely clear what you are saying there.

but i saw it said THREE times today...twice in the forums and once in
    project-opensuse@...

--
    DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobiles" of operating systems!

Hmm, not long ago I saw this OP's thread (closed) in Applications being switched to Soapbox! How did it spread [like a virus] here and where else?

> How did it spread [like a virus] here and where else?

_it_ didn't spread like a virus, the _poster_ spread it all over..

--
    DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    openSUSE®, the "German Engineered Automobiles" of operating systems!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    How did it spread [like a virus] here and where else?
    I think he started two (or more) threads on the same topic. I'll put it down to "new to the forums and still confused."
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

On 12/21/2011 10:26 AM, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > consused;2420972 Wrote:
    >> How did it spread [like a virus] here and where else?

>
    > I think he started two (or more) threads on the same topic. I'll put
    > it down to "new to the forums and still confused."

Do not feed the trolls!

This is NOT openSUSE's fault. The best way is to post your unhappiness with the new GNOME 3 is with the GNOME devs.

I would recommend navigating to features.opensuse.org and post your idea for a GNOME 2.x fork. It can be done.
    There are a lot of people unhappy with GNOME 3 including me... And I don't even use it. I tried it briefly and it felt awkward.

IMHO Switch to KDE.

Cheers!

Romanator
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 42.3 - Plasma 5.8.7
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.15.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by albumns View Post
    I understand you are upset but:
    1. you have other desktops available to use under openSUSE
    2. try to be calm when addressing an issue it helps to see the solution faster
    3. i don`t want to be rude but, most of the problems found under an OS (not just openSUSE) are caused by the user, and again i say to you read first, try in vbox second then install on real hardware.
    4. if you need help just ask in a polite way, offer as much data as you can and have patience.

Merry X-mas !
    openSUSE Community Member: -> en.opensuse.org/User:Creatura85
    Connect Profile:
    -> connect.opensuse.org/pg/profile/creatura85
    openSUSE Romania Member: -> suseromania.ro

Question Re: stupid 12.1

So how does one manage to get a one click workspace switcher on the new Gnome thingie? It is a feature that I used. I would have about 8 workspaces with stuff open that I used.

Now I have to right click on the upper left hand corner in order to show a list of my workspaces.

If you have the answer please give a step by step as if you were addressing a clueless newbie... (you never know...)

Thanks!

Steve

Phear the Penguin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast