Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which virtualization should I give a try?

Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    But the method has 12.1 instructions, can I very well implement those for 11.4?

Yes of course.The first post in this thread shows the instructions for 11.4. The only difference it the repo to install the package from 11.4 or 12.1.

And the method you have told has one options:

vboxlive -o ubuntu -D

but suppose I have not ubuntu but some other CD, then? Means prior to use any CD virtually, I need to enter this definitely? And whatever be the version of the CD, like 11.04 or 14.34 (say).
    It was just an example to show how easy it would have been to install VirtualBox with this script, meaning you don't need to explicitely install it at all but it will get installed and set up for you (if it's not already installed) as soon as you start a virtual machine (which would get created) to run a live CD (which will get downloaded if you don't have it).

But to just install VirtualBox without creating a virtual machine or run another Linux, you could have typed:

Code:
    vboxlive --install
    I must have mentioned that in the howto (it's a little bit long, I know).

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2415492

The option -D means download.

However the original purpose of this script wa not to install VirtualBox. It just happens to provide a simple way because it takes care of everything (which people forget to do or to mention in howtos).

opensuse121 NNTP User

Quote Originally Posted by swerdna View Post
    For a straightforward, vanilla install of VirtualBox, maybe read this: http://forums.opensuse.org/content/5...umbleweed.html
    Yes it looks very easy but what of this error?

opensuse121 NNTP User

May be I am really confused between your method (which is very good) and swerdna's method (also very good). So some times looked here and then there. Puzzled, hmmm, back try your method!

May be I am really confused between your method (which is very good) and swerdna's method (also very good). So some times looked here and then there. Puzzled, hmmm, back try your method!
    Sorry, I went away for an hour or so. My script is easier and safer. Normally, it should work right away ... and if it does not, it would be a bug that I would need to fix. But when it works, it works and you can not do it wrong. I tested it on a fresh install and people have reported using it successfully.

But installing VirtualBox is not such a big deal after all, whether you do with my script or manually.

You can still install the vmscripts* package. It's not going to hurt anything, and it will provide the script VBoxExtensionPack, that you can just execute to install the latest extension pack (no need to go to the website, check versions, etc).

* from the 11.4 repo if you are on 11.4. But the scripts are the same in both repos.

Yes it looks very easy but what of this error?
    It needed to install a newer version of that library. This is not an error and could have happened with another package than VirtualBox. It has nothing to do with the method you applied. Did you say that your current version of openSUSE was an update from a previous version? That would explain.

opensuse121 NNTP User

My current version is openSUSE 11.4 and its a fresh install.

My current version is openSUSE 11.4 and its a fresh install.
    Then it justed needed to update this library. Don't worry about that! It's not an error. Otherwise it would have said "Error". Did it?
    It's common when you install a package that it needs to install or update others. This is the principle of 'dependencies' in a package management system like the one used in openSUSE or other distros.

Why do you go by name opensuse121 and still use 11.4?

opensuse121 NNTP User

Well I have just installed virtualbox like swerdna's method. As you say that it was not an error, so I just made it installed. It became okay. And when I was downloading the extension pack from the sun oracle website (as per the instructions) I have done but when he says 'download and locate', I didn't get what he meant by 'locate', however, the location where it was saved was 'Downloads' and from there itself I just double clicked it to install (after accepting some 'yes'). So finally it was installed, the look is here:-

VirtualBox

The name is this since it is the latest version, but it would remain this even when 12.2 would be released. However, at the time when I was just creating the user name, 12.1 was the newest version and I first was trying to install that and installed it but later installed back 11.4 since in the pc I installed 12.1 was given to somebody (for his work, I don't know what he is using now)......That's the story. Well, you are a part of Suse team?

opensuse121 NNTP User

Apart from it, how much RAM should I allocate to suppose I install Ubuntu LTS 10.04, ...other questions, should I start the new thread or should I ask here itself?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast