Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: which virtualization should I give a try?

  1. #11

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    Well, but some packages are already there like: Packages
    Well, its a bit confusing. @swerdna's howto as well as vboxlive do not refer to the same version of VirtualBox. Actually, the one we talked about is written "VirtualBox" and not "virtualbox". If you install the version you see in YaST - it's up to you - you don't need (and you should not) install the oher one of course, but you should still install the Extension Pack if you want USB support.

  2. #12

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    So is virtualbox (or any of its package(s)) is already installed? Seeing this, I must install virtualbox which is not installed....? Or from the link which swerdna has given...? But as you say, virtualbox is easiest, so I should go with it...
    Before installing anything, could you please type this command in a terminal and paste the output here:

    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
    That will tell us what you have installed yet.

  3. #13
    opensuse121 NNTP User

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    While I am not to use USB port, so does it mean that I have already installed?

  4. #14
    opensuse121 NNTP User

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    The output of 'rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox' is as follows:

    Code:
    virtualbox-guest-kmp-default-4.0.12_k2.6.37.6_0.7-0.2.1.i586
    virtualbox-guest-tools-4.0.12-0.2.1.i586
    virtualbox-guest-x11-4.0.12-0.2.1.i586
    But I ran that command without using 'sudo'.

  5. #15

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    The output of 'rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox' is as follows:

    Code:
    virtualbox-guest-kmp-default-4.0.12_k2.6.37.6_0.7-0.2.1.i586
    virtualbox-guest-tools-4.0.12-0.2.1.i586
    virtualbox-guest-x11-4.0.12-0.2.1.i586
    But I ran that command without using 'sudo'.
    You don't need to use sudo to just query which packages are installed.
    All right, did you install these packages yourself in YaST? I mean, did you check the boxes to install them? These are the guest packages, not the ones you need for the host. What you need is the emulator itself, the package called "virtualbox". The required host kernel modules should get installed automatically when you install virtualbox.

    This is one way to install, not the only one, and this is not the method nor the package I'm using. Most of us still use the Oracle version, I would say probably mostly for historical reasons, because I'm not sure it still has advantages.

    So you have the following options :


    • install the package "virtualbox" from YasT.
    • or follow @swerdna's method and install the required package (kernel sources and compiler), the Oracle repo, and add yourself to the vboxusers group
    • or use a script which does all these steps for you, in which case you would have to type exactly what I have described in this post http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2407566


    The latter is (IMO by far) the fastest and most straightforward way of installing VirtualBox. It is intendeed for both, people who have no idea at all and people who have ideas but no time. However, learning how to install the package manually step by step, as explained by @swerdna, can not hurt.

    Method 2 and 3 will install the Oracle version (package VirtualBox). Method 1 will install the OSE version (package virtualbox), which I guess is not called OSE anymore ... or it is the other one which is not called PUEL anymore ... I'm not sure about that.

    The main difference of method 1 is that it does not require to compile the kernel module after a kernel update, since the kernel module is installed (and get updated) in the kmp package.

  6. #16
    opensuse121 NNTP User

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    You don't need to use sudo to just query which packages are installed.
    Okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    All right, did you install these packages yourself in YaST? I mean, did you check the boxes to install them? These are the guest packages, not the ones you need for the host. What you need is the emulator itself, the package called "virtualbox". The required host kernel modules should get installed automatically when you install virtualbox.
    I really didn't install any of the packages but I guess then, while updating 11.4, this might have happened that those three packages got installed themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    This is one way to install, not the only one, and this is not the method nor the package I'm using. Most of us still use the Oracle version, I would say probably mostly for historical reasons, because I'm not sure it still has advantages.
    Okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    So you have the following options :
    • install the package "virtualbox" from YasT.
    • or follow @swerdna's method and install the required package (kernel sources and compiler), the Oracle repo, and add yourself to the vboxusers group
    • or use a script which does all these steps for you, in which case you would have to type exactly what I have described in this post http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2407566


    The latter is (IMO by far) the fastest and most straightforward way of installing VirtualBox. It is intendeed for both, people who have no idea at all and people who have ideas but no time. However, learning how to install the package manually step by step, as explained by @swerdna, can not hurt.

    Method 2 and 3 will install the Oracle version (package VirtualBox). Method 1 will install the OSE version (package virtualbox), which I guess is not called OSE anymore ... or it is the other one which is not called PUEL anymore ... I'm not sure about that.

    The main difference of method 1 is that it does not require to compile the kernel module after a kernel update, since the kernel module is installed (and get updated) in the kmp package.
    Okay if I go with the first option (the only reason being it is more simple and easy to use), I have to just install the package 'virtualbox', but only the emulator as you say and so other packages (which are not for host), should I uninstall those and install only this one? Further, I get the same result (in the searching of the package in Yast) when I type either 'VirtualBox' or 'virtualbox'.

  7. #17

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    Okay if I go with the first option (the only reason being it is more simple and easy to use),
    Just because it seems that you just have to check a box doesn't mean that is is more simple and easy to use. The virtualbox package will get installed for sure. But then, does it add yourself to the vboxusers group? I don't know - because I'm not using this package - but I doubt it. Anyway, you'll get it set up one way or another.

    Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    I have to just install the package 'virtualbox', but only the emulator as you say and so other packages (which are not for host), should I uninstall those and install only this one?
    The guest packages are not needed but shouldn't bother.


    Quote Originally Posted by opensuse121 View Post
    Further, I get the same result (in the searching of the package in Yast) when I type either 'VirtualBox' or 'virtualbox'.
    Because the search in YaST is case insensitive. But here's the package VirtualBox (not the one you are about to install) :

    Code:
    $ rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
    VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.8_75467_openSUSE114-1.x86_64
    The -i option of the grep command means --ignore-case. This command filters the output of "rpm -qa" and displays both, VirtualBox and virtualbox, whichever package is installed. Simply typing "rpm -qa" displays the (long) list of all packages that are installed.

  8. #18
    opensuse121 NNTP User

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Just because it seems that you just have to check a box doesn't mean that is is more simple and easy to use. The virtualbox package will get installed for sure. But then, does it add yourself to the vboxusers group? I don't know - because I'm not using this package - but I doubt it. Anyway, you'll get it set up one way or another. The guest packages are not needed but shouldn't bother.
    I just have uninstalled the three packages also, so that finally the output of 'rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox' is null now.

    So I am now thinking to go with the simple (yes it also looks simple) method as you have said, here. But the method has 12.1 instructions, can I very well implement those for 11.4?

    Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Because the search in YaST is case insensitive. But here's the package VirtualBox (not the one you are about to install) :

    Code:
    $ rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox
    VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.8_75467_openSUSE114-1.x86_64
    The -i option of the grep command means --ignore-case. This command filters the output of "rpm -qa" and displays both, VirtualBox and virtualbox, whichever package is installed. Simply typing "rpm -qa" displays the (long) list of all packages that are installed.
    Oh I see. Then it is really best to include '-i'.

  9. #19
    opensuse121 NNTP User

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    And the method you have told has one options:

    vboxlive -o ubuntu -D

    but suppose I have not ubuntu but some other CD, then? Means prior to use any CD virtually, I need to enter this definitely? And whatever be the version of the CD, like 11.04 or 14.34 (say).

  10. #20
    opensuse121 NNTP User

    Default Re: which virtualization should I give a try?

    I was really a bit more confused but wanted to give the Virtualization a try. I finally went with the swerdna's method. Added the repo but while installing 4.1 VirtualBox (I had two options, one another of 4.0) but I chose the latest one but while I was installing it, I got the warning of an additional package which is:

    Install this also

    while on the page he describes the process (here) it is said that there should not be any such warning, so really what's the error?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •