Thank you for opening this subforum!

Finally! James, were you behind this? A subforum dedicated to virtualization fills a long standing need.

Indeed, you have James to thank for this.

On 12/16/2011 07:16 AM, caf4926 wrote:
> you have James to thank for this.
>

thanks James!!

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

@DenverD, what are you virtualizing? OS/2? CP/CMS? … Yourself? lol!

> @DenverD, what are you virtualizing? OS/2? CP/CMS? … Yourself? lol!

i am a virtual figment of my own imagination…wonderful in every way!!

please stand back, i’m coming through… :slight_smile:

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

Actually I would consider my two cents worth being the last straw that got it going but hardly the only voice here. None the less, I love kind words no matter how I might get them. One thing is for sure, we need all the help we can get in this forum to help push it along and get it doing good things for our users.

Thank You,

I would like to add my thanks here as well. Virtualization is really trendy at the moment and very useful as well (system backup ease hard to beat by anything else IMHO).

Best regards,
Greg

I am not sure how trendy it is but it is real popular with IT folks. Seems like a lot of new offices I work in are using it while more established places are not so much. So perhaps that is trendy, but I am not the one to ask that question. As everyone here has indicated, its a great way to have access to several Operating Systems under a single roof, or I mean host such as using openSUSE. While the businesses I have seen use it either A) use some very minimal computer which is accessing a VM on a server somewhere as its main and only OS as in a Doctors office or clinic OR B) the user may have a normal computer that has access to many VM’s used for different tasks like Order Entry, customer CRM at large companies or even different programming environments. In fact, the latter setup was what I got to see while working in a nVIDIA programming location here in Austin (as well as doing hardware emulation with some of the most powerful servers I have even seen in one location). I can’t say I see someone at a normal business running it just for the ability to have different OS’ per say as we use it here. But, I can say that I do not in any way know for sure the most common way it is being used. VMWare has a big office here in Austin as well and seems to be doing lots of business locally even as I don’t know all that much about their direct business model. But I am very happy with our ability to use it with openSUSE AND it seems to work pretty darn well in fact with openSUSE as a host or guest.

Thank You,

I’m just a home user but for me virtualization is allowing me to consolidate machines, turning off several systems once their function is moved to the VM host.

So far I’ve gotten rid of my firewall (SmoothWall) computer, my music server and shared file server (two Linksys NSLU2s) and I may be able to get rid of my Windows box that is used to run a couple Windows-only apps that I can’t do without, VNC is fine for running them from anywhere.

Putting the host and VM systems on a SSD and then putting the data on individual drives appears to be working well. The eventual goal is to have the data drives spun down when not in use saving even more power/heat/noise but I’m not there yet.

This same setup would work well for a small office or another home user since most of us want a firewall of some sort running between us and the Internet and want services like file, printer and scanner sharing.

Thanx for this sub-forum. Now we can have all our opensuse virtualization issues and questions all in one place, than lost all over the forums buried deep inside the various forums.

I also thank for opening the forum. Virtualization is a big topic, it must have separate threads. A good idea and very well implemented.