Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you use VirtualBox as your VM?

Default Re: Do you use VirtualBox as your VM?

I also use VirtualBox - however, I started out using VmWare server as it was free and mature, really had no qualms with it, it worked well. I started using VM's because I had started using Suse Linux, liked it and wanted to use it on a daily basis, however, could not get my webcam to work in linux and had lots of programs i needed which would not run in linux, e.g. PageMaker, Lotus Smart suite, etc. I loaded Windows XP in VmWare server and things ran fine. I then came across VBox and started toying with it and also shifted to VmWare Player they all worked fine but didn't function quite the same as regards, sound, video, etc. Early on I down loaded a VmWare program to my initial Windows XP and used it to convert my Windows system to a vmdk file which i then loaded into my various Vm's. I finally settled on VirtualBox, I think it has matured well and when I run windows in it, it is just as if I was running my original windows raw from the drive. As an example, I can play Netflix movies in my vm and they are flawless. My webcam is virtually realtime works great. I have never used Xen or Kvm although I am interested in learning how to use them. In closing I would say that Virtual machines are a godsend, which ever one you use. They are particularly usefull in testing. One of my sons is involved with software company him and a friend started and one piece of software was crashing Windows7 64 bit systems, we loaded Win7 in to a Vm to check and find out what the problem was, because if it crashes the VM no fault no foul, just restart the Vm. I'm sold on them, use them and VirtualBox, to me, seems the best!
    RJ

I now using VBox, after trying out Xen. I found VBox to be far easier to use than Xen and KVM, and has excellent performance (close to bare metal). Even though Xen has relative good documentation it is not easy to do a Xen setup, and is slower than VBox and KVM. KVM has serious lack of decent documentation even though KVM performance seems very good, close to bare metal.

I using VBox to do software testing in safe sandbox. On servers (running VBox headless on minimal host) to separate various server services from one another.

On 2011-12-18 21:26, gsancosme wrote:
    > The "most ?" surprising is that they are really happy with this.

We aren't. Simply VB does not support many old operating systems as guest,
    they have no guest tools for them. So we have to keep using vmware.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

I use VMware.

VMware is pervasive in the enterprise (well, let's just say, the enterprise customers that I work with, and they all have massive data centers) and it makes things easier for me if I mimic the customer environment as much as possible --- even down to the hypervisor level. I use it to try and repro customer environments / problems, test out new software, upgrades, releases, etc. Personally, I was using it to run Windows (to manage my iDevice) -- but I recently moved over to Android so I don't need that anymore.

I've also used VMware since version 1 so it's the most familiar to me. I've dabbled a bit with KVM, and it looks interesting, but for the time being I'm happy with VMware. I refuse to use VirtualBox because of my dislike of Oracle.

Yes, VMware does make you pay to upgrade from 1 major version to the next (at least for workstation), but I find that to be perfectly acceptable since it's at a discounted rate. Paying upgrade fees is a common practice in the enterprise software world unless you are paying an annual maintenance contract.
    Main Machine: Dell Precision M6600 running openSUSE Leap 16
    Server: Dell PowerEdge SC1430 running SLES 15

Hi All,

This is quite timely, I am wanting to start using Virtualization on a new box I am setting up shortly. I have never tried it before but there are some things I would like to do, try other versions of linux, use windows xp for a couple of things that wont work using wine. etc.

I do have one question though:

When setting up my system would one suggest having a separate partition for Virtualization, rather than bundling it all on the /home partition? therefore if it all turns to custard one can just blow it away and start again?

What are your thoughts? Thanks.
    HP dc7900 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
    Memory: 6 GB Video: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 3D driver: NVIDIA 340.102
    openSUSE Leap 42.3 Kernel 4.4.92.31-default KDE: 5.8.7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pv1962osl View Post
    Hi All,

This is quite timely, I am wanting to start using Virtualization on a new box I am setting up shortly. I have never tried it before but there are some things I would like to do, try other versions of linux, use windows xp for a couple of things that wont work using wine. etc.

When setting up my system would one suggest having a separate partition for Virtualization, rather than bundling it all on the /home partition? therefore if it all turns to custard one can just blow it away and start again?

It's a personal choice. I have my VM files on the /home partition (which makes it mighty big) and blow some of them away from time to time. I don't see the need to have them on a separate partition. I think it might be good for mental housekeeping, that's all. But whatever you like you should do.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pv1962osl View Post

As a single user on a PC, with the Virtual Box program, I typically go with the default directory in /home/oldcpu/.VirtualBox.

... BUT on my Dell Studio Laptop, which my wife also uses, I keep my VirtualBox guests in a directory where both my wife and I have full access, in something like /home/virtual .... That way no matter which user one is logged on as (ie my wife or myself) we can access the Guest operating systems in that directory and we share the same Guest OS.

Quote Originally Posted by ajpeck View Post
    KVM has serious lack of decent documentation
    I've used the ones here with good results: Red Hat Enterprise Linux

V2V Guide
    Virtualization Administration Guide
    Virtualization Getting Started Guide
    Virtualization Host Configuration and Guest Installation Guide

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    As a single user on a PC, with the Virtual Box program, I typically go with the default directory in /home/oldcpu/.VirtualBox.

... BUT on my Dell Studio Laptop, which my wife also uses, I keep my VirtualBox guests in a directory where both my wife and I have full access, in something like /home/virtual .... That way no matter which user one is logged on as (ie my wife or myself) we can access the Guest operating systems in that directory and we share the same Guest OS.
    Yep VirtualBox here too. On a separate partition, mounted on /Extra, both on the laptop, and on my server/workstation. These partitions have rwx access for the group "vboxusers". /home/USERNAME/.VirtualBox is a symlink to /Extra/.Virtualbox .Some of the VM's are used by my wife as well.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Yep VirtualBox here too. On a separate partition, mounted on /Extra, both on the laptop, and on my server/workstation. These partitions have rwx access for the group "vboxusers"
    Yes (I do that too). But the permissions of the vm config file (the .xml file) and the log (VBox.log) in its Logs subdirectory get reset to 0600 after another member of the "vboxusers" group boots the vm. I don't know how to change this behaviour of VirtualBox. I use an alias as root to reset the permissions when needed to 0664 for files and 0775 for directories. (see this post: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ml#post2414171)

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    . /home/USERNAME/.VirtualBox is a symlink to /Extra/.Virtualbox .Some of the VM's are used by my wife as well.
    IMO it would be better to let the user be the owner of his ~/.VirtualBox and change the vm default location in VirtualBox preferences. This is the location returned by the command:

Code:
    vboxmanage list systemproperties | grep -i "default machine folder"
    If you are the only user, it doesn't matter but ... a touch of elegance never hurts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast