Thread: Firefox 8 and openSUSE 12.1, can't view youtube videos

Question Firefox 8 and openSUSE 12.1, can't view youtube videos

I just updated from openSUSE 11.4 to 12.1. I started my profile from scratch this time, though I restored firefox, thunderbird, pidgin, and a few other setting folders. After the upgrade, firefox will not play youtube videos. I get a black rectangle, with no video, no play button, or anything else. Am I missing something I need to add? I would think if it were not there at all, I'd get a screen that says I need to install a plugin (flash video, IIRC), but I'm not even getting that. Just the black rectangle.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Default Re: Firefox 8 and openSUSE 12.1, can't view youtube videos

Make sure Flash is installed. You can use yast2->Software Management and search for "flash". Make sure the flash-player package is installed. You can do "aboutlugins" in Firefox to check the version, etc. You can always install flash from Adobe's website as a last resort.

Thank you Erikvcl. Flash is installed. I just tested in a fresh profile. Firefox can play youtube videos in a fresh profile, but not in mine. I hate to start my firefox profile over, so I'm hoping we can find where the problem lies. The interesting thing is that if I go to aboutlugins, I don't see adobe flash listed anywhere, yet I do see vlc plugins, and though I have installed vlc, I specifically did not install the browser plugins...

I have the same problem. Opensuse 12.1, Flash Packages are installed in yast but i just get black boxes instead of videos on youtube.
    Looking into the firefox plugins sections shows that there is a shockwave flash player plugin installed.
    I did not get any error messages.

Desktop: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3 Ghz | 4 GB RAM | GeForce GT 630