Thread: SuSE 12.1: nouveau - Install flashes screen black every 10 seconds

Default SuSE 12.1: nouveau - Install flashes screen black every 10 seconds

Just installed 12.1 last week, and the one install problem I had was the nouveau (open source NVidia) / kernel mode feature that's being forced on everyone with an NVidia card.

Installation came up and worked, but the screen flashed black briefly (~1/10th of a second) every 10 seconds throughout the whole installation. Very annoying.

After installation, once I installed the NVidia driver (disabling nouveau) that problem went away.

GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 cores

(As an aside, when I installed Ubuntu 11.10, their install [with default options] wouldn't even come up because of nouveau. A modprobe core dumps on startup with signal 9 in nouveau. Forcing nomodeset on the install kernel works around that.)

Other than that, have only had one significant issue with SuSE 12.1 (KDE-related) which I'll post separately about. By and large has been very stable and I've been otherwise pleased with it. Would just highly suggest that we stop hoisting this nouveau thing on NVidia GPU users unless you "know" that the specific GPU installed is supported very, very well.

Default Re: SuSE 12.1: nouveau - Install flashes screen black every 10 seconds

Not sure what the issue is here. Nouveau wasn't "forced on you", there needs to be some default driver for NVIDIA cards and the nv driver once used for that purpose is no longer maintained, I think. I no longer use NVIDIA cards but did until some time last year and found the Nouveau drivers quite impressive: so much so that I didn't bother in 11.3 to install the proprietary drivers as Nouveau did the job perfectly well (and I use dual monitors, plenty of Kwin effects, and do plenty of graphics-intensive work).
    Now of course it all depends on what NVIDIA card you use. I was lucky perhaps with a 9600GT, and I've had less positive experiences with other NVIDIA cards. But if the worst that happens is the "blackouts" that you experienced, and given the abundance of guidance given here and elsewhere on how to install NVIDIA's closed source drivers in different ways, I don't think there's a real issue. Yes, in an ideal world Nouveau would support all NVIDIA cards equally well but then they're reverse-engineering the drivers with no help whatsoever from NVIDIA. Welcome to the world of open source!
    Günter

Desk: Leap 42.2, KDE 5, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA.
    Lap: Thinkpad T430, Tumbleweed, Intel i5, 8Gb, SSD.