Thread: Preparing for a new HD (or autoyast/local_repo)?

Default Preparing for a new HD (or autoyast/local_repo)?

I have a HD that is currently RMA'd for humming noises and I have copies of my /home/jj directory and subs on my 3T USB Drive.
    I have not committed to installing 12.1 on it.

What I hoped to do is re-install 11.4 and maintain that as long as Support lasts, or until I make a conscious decision to try 12.1.
    I may wind up re-installing twice (12.1 > 11.4) but there's LOTS of variables since I have to have a working ec2-api-tools.

My Question is this:
    If I re-install 11.4 and run the updates, can't I turn those updates (cached locally) into a local REPO?
    To save me from downloading them again in the future?

I just think that I could be slipstreaming these updates into my installation routine.

I read up on AutoYAST earlier this year, but I was not very effective at getting it to work 'auto-magically'.

Thank you for your time.
    Lenovo: OpenSUSE 11.4/32 | Xfce 4.8.1 | Intel Core2 Duo T7200 | Intel 945GM/GMS | 4G RAM | Firefox 8.0 | Thunderbird 3.1.16

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Preparing for a new HD (or autoyast/local_repo)?

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    I have a HD that is currently RMA'd for humming noises and I have copies of my /home/jj directory and subs on my 3T USB Drive.
    I have not committed to installing 12.1 on it.

What I hoped to do is re-install 11.4 and maintain that as long as Support lasts, or until I make a conscious decision to try 12.1.
    I may wind up re-installing twice (12.1 > 11.4) but there's LOTS of variables since I have to have a working ec2-api-tools.

My Question is this:
    If I re-install 11.4 and run the updates, can't I turn those updates (cached locally) into a local REPO?
    To save me from downloading them again in the future?

I just think that I could be slipstreaming these updates into my installation routine.

I read up on AutoYAST earlier this year, but I was not very effective at getting it to work 'auto-magically'.

Thank you for your time.
    BY your command Habitual as your wish has been answered. Take a look at my blog on the subject:

S.L.R.C. - SuSE Local Repository Creator - Version 1.10 - This Example is setup for Packman - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Basically in the example, The packman repositories have been setup, but you can do the same with any active repository. All of Packman would even fit on a DVD-DL, but adding in the openSUSE repos could require a lot more space. None the less, with enough disk space, it can be done as you wish. Just ask if you have any questions.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Preparing for a new HD (or autoyast/local_repo)?

Thanks James.
    I have to investigate this technique/method/tool as some point in the future.

I am not sure I really want all of a REPO, (just the installed packages since installing)
    zypper -d [xyz] <package>
    So, I guess now the Q is "how can I download all the current packages installed on my system and make a REPO from that?
    I exported my Yast/Software Management > File > Export and saved almost 2000 installed packages.

I found /var/cache/zypp/packages/ but it is suspiciously short on disk space used.

Thanks for your time.
    Lenovo: OpenSUSE 11.4/32 | Xfce 4.8.1 | Intel Core2 Duo T7200 | Intel 945GM/GMS | 4G RAM | Firefox 8.0 | Thunderbird 3.1.16

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Preparing for a new HD (or autoyast/local_repo)?

Quote Originally Posted by Habitual View Post
    Thanks James.
    I have to investigate this technique/method/tool as some point in the future.

I am not sure I really want all of a REPO, (just the installed packages since installing)
    zypper -d [xyz] <package>
    So, I guess now the Q is "how can I download all the current packages installed on my system and make a REPO from that?
    I exported my Yast/Software Management > File > Export and saved almost 2000 installed packages.

I found /var/cache/zypp/packages/ but it is suspiciously short on disk space used.

Thanks for your time.
    The repo method is much better to setup as it can be used no matter the PC openSUSE is installed on. For any single PC, doing a backup might be a better choice to reinstate it for some reason. You can tell YaST to keep all downloaded files, but re-loading them manually would be a big pain you are not used to having to do.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Preparing for a new HD (or autoyast/local_repo)?

On 2011-12-14 16:56, Habitual wrote:
    > I found /var/cache/zypp/packages/ but it is suspiciously short on disk
    > space used.

By default, they are not populated, or the content is deleted after
    installation. You have enable "keep downloaded packages" for each repo,
    then they are kept in that directory - which you can export via nfs to
    another computer and save downloading them again.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)