Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How diagnose why my computer's running much slower than before with opensuse 11.3?

Default How diagnose why my computer's running much slower than before with opensuse 11.3?

Yes, I know of "top" and such commands but I have no way of really figuring out what I do/do not need to speed up my computer. I've noticed that:

1. A lot of programs take a lot longer to load than they used to
    2. There seems to be less RAM available than previously with the same programs

I'm sure I can shut some programs/services down, but I'm not sure which ones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Arrow Re: How diagnose why my computer's running much slower than before with opensuse 11.3?

The problem is likely the activity of strighi. If you have a valid graphic card at least. Try to go into desktop setting and to deactivate the "desktop search service". This should lower to a greater extent the consumption of RAM and speed. One note: If you want to have clear indications you should get used to formulate clear questions and give sufficient information. That is:
    • age of the machine
    • chip-set
    • ram size
    • graphic card processor and graphic memory
    • driver of graphic card installed
    • space available on the partition.
    • is this a fresh install or did you do an upgrade
    • if you did an upgrade, which method did you follow
    • do you use KDE or Gnome and what version of it
    • try to quantify slower..

You see, with a bit more information, more people will try to help.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Default Re: How diagnose why my computer's running much slower than before with opensuse 11.3?

Thanks! Nepomuk is already off (or at least unchecked).

Also, one thing that definitely has slowed down in the last month or so is VLC startup. I notice that vlc now takes a good 15 seconds before the window even shows up after I click a video file. (It's not the only thing slower, but the most noticeable)

Here's my info:

CPU : AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+, 1,808.59 MHz
    RAM: 1.4 GiB
    Free memory: 51.7 MiB (+ 96.9 MiB Caches)
    Free swap: 1.8 GiB

Kernel: Linux 2.6.34.10-0.4-default i686

Desktop: 4.4.4 (KDE 4.4.4) "release 3"
    Display Model: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400 GS
    2D driver: nvidia
    3D driver: NVIDIA 290.10

* Is fresh install
    * Root folder partition ("/") has 12.7 GB available
    * home has 175 GB available
    * Both are ext4
    * Computer is 6 years old, but has new RAM, 2+ year old graphics card, new HD

Quote Originally Posted by stakanov View Post
    The problem is likely the activity of strighi. If you have a valid graphic card at least. Try to go into desktop setting and to deactivate the "desktop search service". This should lower to a greater extent the consumption of RAM and speed. One note: If you want to have clear indications you should get used to formulate clear questions and give sufficient information. That is:
    • age of the machine
    • chip-set
    • ram size
    • graphic card processor and graphic memory
    • driver of graphic card installed
    • space available on the partition.
    • is this a fresh install or did you do an upgrade
    • if you did an upgrade, which method did you follow
    • do you use KDE or Gnome and what version of it
    • try to quantify slower..

You see, with a bit more information, more people will try to help.

Default Re: How diagnose why my computer's running much slower than before with opensuse 11.3?

Your machine is quite slow and has not much RAM. How much free space do you have on the root directory and on the /home?
    Do you have an encrypted /home file system with LUKS?
    Did you have crashes before this did start?
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for

Your machine is quite slow and has not much RAM.
    Sure, but this slowness is new.

How much free space do you have on the root directory and on the /home?
    Root folder partition ("/") has 12.7 GB available

Do you have an encrypted /home file system with LUKS?
    No

Did you have crashes before this did start?
    No

Are all partitions (but swap) Ext3? Did you switch on journaling?
    Try to look whether in your system when this happens are running multiple instances of the same program. Sometimes, if a program crashes and stays resident, it may cause this issue if it opens a new working instance. You will then have two voir three simultaneous instances running.
    Have a look also on RAM. If your machine has 4 banks and one of the 4 is not able to hold synchronization, the system will down-grade RAM speed (and therefore the speed of all banks). This could be an issue, I had it on one machine. You could run memtest or mprime to find out whether the RAM is good. (Just trying to think about all possible origins).
    Then please vote for

Are all partitions (but swap) Ext3?
    Ext4

Did you switch on journaling?
    How do I check this? And if it's not on, how do I turn it on?

Try to look whether in your system when this happens are running multiple instances of the same program. Sometimes, if a program crashes and stays resident, it may cause this issue if it opens a new working instance. You will then have two voir three simultaneous instances running.
    Where shold I look for this? I don't know what a ton of programs in "top" actually are.

Have a look also on RAM. If your machine has 4 banks and one of the 4 is not able to hold synchronization, the system will down-grade RAM speed (and therefore the speed of all banks). This could be an issue, I had it on one machine. You could run memtest or mprime to find out whether the RAM is good. (Just trying to think about all possible origins).
    How do I run memtest?

Thanks!

Are you running Desktop Effects?

I have a thread discussing a noticeable slowdown I observed in two particular applications having migrated from 11.3 to 12.1: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...ml#post2415199 As I just mentioned in that thread, turning off DE (after having run with it on since the new installation) has actually significantly increased the perceived responsiveness not only in the two apps in which I noticed the slowdown, but of the system as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    How do I run memtest?

Thanks!
    memtest is a bootable app ...you can either download an memdisc image and burn it to disc, or grab one of the many bootable utility discs that also include memdisc ... come to think of it, doesn't the openSUSE install disc? Also the BIOS from some mainboard manufacturers also have a memory diagnostic feature via also packaging memdisc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_K View Post
    Are you running Desktop Effects?

I have a thread discussing a noticeable slowdown I observed in two particular applications having migrated from 11.3 to 12.1: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...ml#post2415199 As I just mentioned in that thread, turning off DE (after having run with it on since the new installation) has actually significantly increased the perceived responsiveness not only in the two apps in which I noticed the slowdown, but of the system as a whole.
    The problem exists with/without desktop effects.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast