Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Latitude E6410 muiple monitors using docking station

Default Dell Latitude E6410 muiple monitors using docking station

I am using Dell Latitude E6410 with a docking station which provides external monitor, USB and audio I/O ports. I am using openSuse 12.1 with KDE. My graphics card as listed by lspci is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

The external monitor connected works fine, but the laptop's own LCD display remains off. Even KDE doesn't detect it. I want to use laptop's monitor as another KDE virtual desktop. How can I do so?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Dell Latitude E6410 muiple monitors using docking station

Quote Originally Posted by xolve View Post
    I am using Dell Latitude E6410 with a docking station which provides external monitor, USB and audio I/O ports. I am using openSuse 12.1 with KDE. My graphics card as listed by lspci is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

The external monitor connected works fine, but the laptop's own LCD display remains off. Even KDE doesn't detect it. I want to use laptop's monitor as another KDE virtual desktop. How can I do so?
    So, after the boot is complete you have to turn the internal LCD on with the normal Dell Fn Keys and then you may need to do a Ctrl-Alt-F2 and then a Ctrl-Alt-F7 for instance so that KDE will find it as I recall.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: Dell Latitude E6410 muiple monitors using docking station

The Dell Fn key to brin LCD monitor to power doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xolve View Post
    The Dell Fn key to brin LCD monitor to power doesn't work.
    And have you tried using Ctrl-Alt-F2 and then a Ctrl-Alt-F7 in KDE?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Yes I tried this. Ctrl-Alt-F2 takes me to console and Ctrl-Alt-F7 takes me back to KDE on the external monitor.

Here is a screen-shot of KDE display settings, obviously the identified output is he external output. I checked the back panel of monitor and it is connected using DVI connector.

imgur: the simple image sharer

I also use an E6410 in an environment that's very similar....

When you're unplugged from the docking station, what is your LCD screen identified as? eDP1?

Do you know which model of docking station you have?

C.Durbin

When not plugged in to the docking station my LCD monitor is recognized as: eDP1

The docking station's model number is: PR 03X

Sorry for the late reply.

Hi,

I had a Dell Latitude E6410. I never used the KDE tools or the Fn buttons for multiple monitors, I always used the nvidia tools. Did you install the nividia driver?

Best wishes

Michael

Sorry, I haven't seen that you mentioned intel graphics.

Are there variants of the Dell Latitude E6410 with an intel graphics controller?
    My one had a Nvidia quadro NVS3100M.

Michael

My setup is an E6410 with 2 Dell 1908 monitors attached to my docking station. If I used the tools in KDE to set the monitors up,
    the internal screen wouldn't turn on when undocked. So after doing some searching on-line I found a small bash script that set
    different monitor configs via xrandr. I modified it for use for my particular instance, but I think it may work for you as well.
    Basically what it does is if it detects HDMI1 then it turns on HDMI2 and sets its position to the right of HDMI1. If it doesn't detect
    HDMI1, it turns on eDP1 and turns off HDMI1 and HDMI2 (technically it probably doesn't need to do that). I have it run automatically
    at login and it seems to work very well. Hope it helps!

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # If an external monitor is connected, place it with xrandr
    # External output may be "VGA" or "VGA-0" or "DVI-0" or "TMDS-1" or "HDMIx" 
    # Look in KDE monitor config to find the names of detected screens
    EXTERNAL_OUTPUT1="HDMI1"
    EXTERNAL_OUTPUT2="HDMI2"
    INTERNAL_OUTPUT="eDP1"
    # possible locations
    # --left-of --right-of --above --below 
    xrandr |grep $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT1 | grep " connected "
    if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        # If HDMI1 is connected then activate both external monitors and turn off internal
        xrandr --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT1 --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT2 --auto --right-of $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT1 --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --off   
    else
        # Didn't see HDMI1 connected, so turn off both external monitors and turn on the internal one.
        xrandr --output $INTERNAL_OUTPUT --auto --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT1 --off --output $EXTERNAL_OUTPUT2 --off
    fi
    C.Durbin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast