12.1 Nvidia 290.10

When I install the 290.10 Nvidia driver through Yast2 I get no boot to desktop . 12.1 KDE , Nvidia 7900 GS
I can uninstall driver through Yast2 and regain desktop .
"can’t move /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old "

So I did a search on this problem and found a lot of users with 7000 & 8000 series video chipsets that have complained with having this same error. I am using the latest video driver without a problem, loaded the hard way as described in this blog:

Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

I think it might just be best to wait in your case for the next update cycle of the video driver before trying a newer nVIDIA driver version again. For anyone wishing to view their error logs can do so using the following bash script:

S.L.A.V.E. - SuSE Logfile Automated Viewer Engine - Version 2.55 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Thanks , I did a install the “hard way” of 285.05 driver (older) , and will wait for a fix .
By the way love the eye movement on the lizard when booting .
I know my join date is new but had a account since 2004 but lost it along the way when SuSE was switched to openSuse .

Thanks again for help .

Yes, on more than one occasion, a new version of the nVIDIA driver did not work for me, but they always came out with a newer version that did. Also, upgrading to the latest driver does not always make any difference anyway and so it is kind of funny to be chasing the latest thing with no real perceived difference, but its what I have come to do.

I also like the eye movement of SUSE on startup and how such a small thing might be thought of as being so funny.

As for forum membership, I also had been a member around 2005-2006 I think but could not remember just what I even called myself then. But it really does not matter all that much and you are always welcome here no matter the message number you might have now. Thanks so much for your comments here.

Thank You,

I find a good forum to watch (and as appropriate participate in) for nVidia graphic driver issues is: NVIDIA Linux - nV News Forums

Hey thanks .
Went there and saw the error had already been spotted so did not make any comments , figured just wait it out .

jdmcdaniel3 have I seen you on the opensuse discussion list ? Your mug shot looks familiar . :slight_smile:

Again thanks for the help everyone .

Humm … It looks like I was lucky for a change. I didn’t have trouble with the GeForce 6150 and 8400 GS . Do you confirm that, @oldcpu? If I correctly remember, you have a 8400 GS somewhere.

My issues were with (nvidia driver newer than 260) + KDE4 + GeForce 7xxx. Change any of the elements on the equation and it works (in oS 11.4).

I had a PCI (not PCI-e) nVidia 8400GS, but the mother board of the PC in which it was located died. We decided to cannibalize that PC rather than rebuild it. So my wife gave the nVidia 8400GS away to a friend who had an old PC with a big power supply (replacing an even older graphic card). Hence I can no longer test nVidia 8400GS problems.

I do note that my nVidia 8400GS being a PCI and not a PCI-e variant, did mean it on occasions did not suffer from the same malady’s that the PCI-e variants experienced.