Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Made a Font Mess

  1. #1

    Default Made a Font Mess

    openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 / KDE4.7.2. First time user. Installed and tweaked the tweaks regarding fonts that I found for the distro and still wasn't happy with the end product, especially with chosen browser, Firefox. So I got to reading around and realised I could just drop a fonts folder into usr/share/fonts. So copied over and dropped the Windows 7 MS fonts folder off into it (using root) and rebooted. Got back to the desktop and things, text, looked different, I set things to MS Sans Serif for a test and was blown away at the difference, very pleased....

    Opened up Firefox and Opera, both crashed instantly, so I uninstalled both. Reinstalled both, Opera still crashes instantly, Firefox will start but text is missing off tabs, etc. - Started both from terminal as root and both fire up and when I close out they crash and I get the output.


    Code:
    g12dot1test@ubuntu:~/Desktop/firefox> ~/firefox/firefox
    
    (firefox:7764): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",
    
    (firefox:7764): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "oxygen-gtk",
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Arial 8.9990234375'
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: font_face status is: out of memory
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: scaled_font status is: out of memory
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Arial 8.9990234375', text='●'
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Arial 9.013671875'
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: font_face status is: out of memory
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: scaled_font status is: out of memory
    
    (firefox:7764): Pango-WARNING **: shaping failure, expect ugly output. shape-engine='BasicEngineFc', font='Arial 9.013671875', text='The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.'
    Running global cleanup code from study base classes.
    g12dot1test@ubuntu:~/Desktop/firefox>

    Now, I'm pretty sure I could just delete the MS fonts folder I dropped into usr/share/fonts and all would be fine. But, I really like what I've got elsewhere.

    Can this be resolved quickly / painlessly with me keeping what I've got at the moment and making my browsers work properly?

    Hope so. Thanks for looking.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,856
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Made a Font Mess

    Try running
    Code:
    su -c "SuSEconfig"
    then logout and back in.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3

    Default Re: Made a Font Mess

    Also try installing fetchmsttfonts via Yast.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Made a Font Mess

    Ok, thanks for that, tried both and still get the same error output. I also noticed a change in the font when I logged back in but it makes no difference to running each browser. I can see me deleting the MS Fonts folder and that making no difference at this rate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •