[urgent] boot fails: error 28 when grub tries to boot from root image after installing 12.1

I did a fresh install of 12.1 from live kde usb stick X86_64. After installation a reboot is required without cd (but usb in my case).
When the PC reboots I get following error:

Booting 'opensuse 12.1'

root(hd0,1)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-1.2-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V320F0_V60SJM5G-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
  [Linux-bzimage, setup=0x4200, size=0x4baef0]
initrd /boot/initrd-3.1.0-1.2-desktop

error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

Press any key to continue...

I tried 2 installations but same result. I have 2GB RAM so that can’t be the problem. I also format my root partition as ext4, but the error says something about ext2fs…

I didn’t change any of the default grub settings neither.

Can someone help me? I already tried failsafe but no result.

On 2011-12-01 22:56, suskewiet wrote:

> error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load
command is either trying to load its data such that it won’t fit
into memory or it is simply too big.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hi,

Suskewiet, how did you manage to grab the text from the boot process? I’ve been trying to find a log file or some way to halt the boot process so I can read the error messages. It appear I have similar error messages at boot time to what you list above although I don’t recall seeing the error 28 message.

I read something about trying to fast boot and trying to load various modules one of which fails followed by a wall of text and then it flicks quickly over to the login prompt.

But what is causing this and more important: how to fix it? I install grub with default settings so this seems a bug in opensuse 12.1. I could install 11.4 just fine on the same machine…

@funkypigeon: I just typed the error over from the screen.

On 2011-12-02 18:16, suskewiet wrote:
> But what is causing this and more important: how to fix it? I install
> grub with default settings so this seems a bug in opensuse 12.1. I could
> install 11.4 just fine on the same machine…

No idea. Just verify what grub is loading and the sizes.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I’m sorry but you make it sound like every user knows how to do this, but I don’t;).
I need some more detailed help to fix this issue. I tried several installations already, each time the same result. I had no problems with 10.2 till 11.4. But now 12.1 installation seems a horror.

Found the problem. My bios has an option to use a hole at 14M-15M in the memory. If this is turned on, grub won’t boot 12.1. If it is turned off, it boots ok. With 11.4 this was no problem to turn it on though…

On 2011-12-03 13:56, suskewiet wrote:
>
> Found the problem. My bios has an option to use a hole at 14M-15M in the
> memory. If this is turned on, grub won’t boot 12.1. If it is turned off,
> it boots ok. With 11.4 this was no problem to turn it on though…

Interesting… You could write it on Bugzilla, but then it might be
something they know. Maybe the kernel is a bit bigger now and it hits that
hole.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.