Virtualbox - where do you install it from?

Hi! Just wanted to ask those of you who uses Virtualbox whether there is any benefit in installing it from the OpenSuse repo (software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 12.1) as opposed to installing it from the Virtualbox site? As far as I understand, the dedicated Virtualbox site usually offers the latest version of Virtualbox, which may have not yet found its way in the OpenSuse repository. Does Virtualbox installed from the repo update automatically?
Which way of installation do you use?

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/467910-how-install-latest-oracle-sun-java-jre-opensuse-12-1-a.html#post2410884
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/465445-running-linux-live-cds-disk-less-virtual-machines-under-virtualbox.html#post2407566

• It installs VirtualBox from Oracle 11.4 repo - which works fine under 12.1

I am confused. Why exactly would one want to run vboxlive? To install VirtualBox and JRE? What if I already have JRE installed (because LibreOffice asked for it)?

I am mostly pondering over all those options that the software.opensuse.org site offers vs the installer on the Oracle’s Virtualbox site. Wondering whether there is any reason in choosing one package over the other.

I don’t want anything. I answered to your question: Which way of installation do you use?

A script is a way to execute several commands in a single step - and in the right order. The original purpose of vboxlive was not to install VirtualBox but, since it uses VirtualBox, it had to provide a response if VirtualBox was not install: either display an error message or offer to install it. Finally I added an option to just install VirtualBox.

If you want to install Oracle VirtualBox “manually”, here’s what you should do - in this order:

• make sure you have the latest kernel *
  • install kernel sources, gcc and make
  • install Oracle 11.4 repo (even in 12.1)
  • install VirtualBox (the kernel module will be compiled at this stage - provided the kernel sources are installed)
  • add yourself to the vboxuers group.

Or run vboxlive --install.

And to answer your other question, the PUEL version (Oracle version) is a little bit better - for a couple things such as USB support - although I’m not 100% sure that it is still true.

• a common mistake ist to install the kernel sources without updating the kernel. Then the kernel sources don’t match the kernel and the VirtualBox kernel module doesn’t compile.

Nothing to do with JRE.

use the oracle version from official website

I get it direct from the Oracle repo. The basic package is open source now, there is no PUEL restriction on it. The PUEL bits have been moved to an extension pack. It’s a pity VRDP support is in that, it could have been useful for an install I did for a client, but I can live with it.

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 18:36:03 +0000, azangru wrote:

> Which way of installation do you use?

I installed it from the community virtualbox repository - that’s the
latest version, and is updated. The only additional thing to install
then is the extensions for USB support.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I have been wondering about that.

@azangru
I forgot to say that the vboxlive method also installs the extension pack (that you need for USB support).
Installing from Oracle repo is also better than downloading the package from Oracle website, because if you install it from the repo, it will be updated whenever there are updates.

Oh, right.

I see. This looks really convincing, I’ll give your script a try. Thanks!

Yeah, I remember making this mistake :wink: Luckily, the recent version of VirtualBox that I used suggested the cause of the error and the way to solve it. But it’s much better if this is done automatically.

Thank you all for your answers! Cheers to the forum!

azangru wrote:

>
> please_try_again;2413262 Wrote:
>> I don’t want anything. I answered to your question:
Which way of
>> installation do you use?
>
> Oh, right.
>
>> If you want to install Oracle VirtualBox “manually”,
here’s what you
>> should do - in this order:
>>
>> > > >
> - make sure you have the latest kernel *
> - install kernel sources, gcc and make
> - install Oracle 11.4 repo (even in 12.1)
> - install VirtualBox (the kernel module will be
compiled at this
> > stage - provided the kernel sources are
installed)
> - add yourself to the vboxuers group.
> -
> > > >
>>
>> Or run vboxlive --install.
>
> I see. This looks really convincing, I’ll give your
script a try.
> Thanks!
>
>> * a common mistake ist to install the kernel sources
without updating
>> the kernel. Then the kernel sources don’t match the
kernel and the
>> VirtualBox kernel module doesn’t compile.
>
> Yeah, I remember making this mistake :wink: Luckily, the
recent version of
> VirtualBox that I used suggested the cause of the
error and the way to
> solve it. But it’s much better if this is done
automatically.
>
> Thank you all for your answers! Cheers to the forum!
>
>
I installed the Oracle version yesterday on my 12.1
release system. (also have it installed on 11.4
system). I downloaded the rpm from oracle to local
disk, also the extension pack. Then installed
VirtualBox from Yast, and then installed the extension
pac. Please remember to add your user to the vboxusers
group or it will not start.

I Install XP and then install Guest Additions. So far I
have only run into one problem with my PS2 to USB
Converter (CHESSEN PS2 to USB Converter). If I enable
it in setting, the install of XP hangs, keyboard and
mouse dead. If I leave it disabled, everything works.

I thought this was fixed in 11.4 version but I need to
go back and look at bug report and test on latest 11.4.

I’ve used the Oracle version for a long time because of
the past usb issues mention earlier in this thread. i
think that is a think of the past but have not tried
openSUSE version yet.

Russ
openSUSE 12.1(Linux 3.1.0-1.2-desktop x86_64)|KDE
Platform Version 4.7.3 (4.7.3) Release “10”|Intel
core2duo 2.5 MHZ, |8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-
Linux-x86_64-285.05.09)

I’ve tryed these repos:

Index of /repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_12.1
Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox_Tumbleweed/openSUSE_Tumbleweed
Index of /repositories/Virtualization:/VirtualBox_backports/openSUSE_12.1/x86_64

None of them works fine (several kernel errors). Perhaps anybody knows a better source…

For OpenSuse 12.1, I used the openSUSE 11.4 repo at the bottom of Oracle’s VirtualBox download page here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

I first installed VirtualBox 4.1.6 from the above repo. Then, with Yast, I had to install the “kernel-source” for my 3.1 kernel and the “gcc” compiler. Then, I successfully ran:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Gordon

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/465445-running-linux-live-cds-disk-less-virtual-machines-under-virtualbox.html#post2407566
Use **vboxlive --install **to just install VirtualBox. It should take care of everything.

Use vboxlive --install to just install VirtualBox.

Just wanted to say that I followed your advice on OpenSuse 12.1, and everything worked great. Thank you very much, your script is amazing!

See, I told you! :wink:

Hello, I installed Oracle/Sun VB together with the Ext.Pack according to Swerdna’s description into o.S 11.4.
No problem at all.
So I made a legal install of win7 getting updates incl.SP1. (Installation of an antivirus software is suggested.)
As No.4 I added a small FAT32 partition into win 7 to be able to exchange data into both directions by using ssh
within my internal network with 2 other machines.
May be I eventually will replace the dual boot by this combination thereby having both systems on 1 screen.
EK