Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 11.4 new nvidia driver install problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Farpoint Station
    Posts
    77

    Default 11.4 new nvidia driver install problems

    11.4 with Gnome 3. Saw a new nvidia driver -- let's get it. 290.10

    Tried to install with both one-click and zypper with no luck. Log file entry: missing or misconfigured D-bus session bus daemon -------

    I've been able to install nvidia in the past using either method in the past with no problems but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've tried since installing 11.4 and Gnome 3.

    Searched for similar problems but all I came up with was the D-bus message for other issues, not installing nvidia.

    Maybe 12.1 has similar problems? Dunno.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: 11.4 new nvidia driver install problems

    Quote Originally Posted by gudewdl View Post
    11.4 with Gnome 3. Saw a new nvidia driver -- let's get it. 290.10

    Tried to install with both one-click and zypper with no luck. Log file entry: missing or misconfigured D-bus session bus daemon -------

    I've been able to install nvidia in the past using either method in the past with no problems but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've tried since installing 11.4 and Gnome 3.

    Searched for similar problems but all I came up with was the D-bus message for other issues, not installing nvidia.

    Maybe 12.1 has similar problems? Dunno.
    So, have you uninstalled your old nVIDIA driver? If installed by YaST, you can search for it and unckeck its installation and allow it to be removed. I have some blogs on installing it the hard way if you are interested.

    Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    AND

    LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.20 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Farpoint Station
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: 11.4 new nvidia driver install problems

    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    So, have you uninstalled your old nVIDIA driver? If installed by YaST, you can search for it and unckeck its installation and allow it to be removed. I have some blogs on installing it the hard way if you are interested.

    Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    AND

    LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.20 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

    Thank You,
    Over the past few years, I have updated the nvidia driver using various methods, including the hard way, and have never had to uninstall the old before installing the new. Just curious - why now? It's not that I'm unwilling to try, but it seems odd to me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: 11.4 new nvidia driver install problems

    Quote Originally Posted by gudewdl View Post
    Over the past few years, I have updated the nvidia driver using various methods, including the hard way, and have never had to uninstall the old before installing the new. Just curious - why now? It's not that I'm unwilling to try, but it seems odd to me.
    If the nVIDIA driver is installed using YaST, it should be removed (uninstalled in YaST) before loading it the hard way. Further, if you wish to revert back to using YaST, you should uninstall the nVIDIA driver installed the hard way, before doing anything in YaST. And if you wish to revert to the default kernel nVIDIA driver, you must uninstall the proprietary nVIDIA driver. Only when updating the nVIDIA driver, but you are not changing the method from which it is being loaded, do you not need to uninstall it beforehand.

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •