Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,124

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:36:02 +0000, unass wrote:

    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > sorry, it's me again. Just to give you another hint:
    >
    > In order to patch the vmware modules, I use the
    > "patch-modules_2.6.39.sh" shell script with the "vmware3.1.0.patch"
    > file. It comes from a "fullvmwarelinux310patch.tar.gz" file BUT gives
    > warnings like
    >
    > " WARNING: Can't read module
    > /lib/modules/3.1.0-1.2-default/weak-updates/updates/vmxnet.ko: No such
    > file or directory"
    >
    > And there is indeed no ../weak-updates/updates/vmxnet.ko file. Did I
    > miss something?
    > How do you patch vmware v7.1.5?


    No problem - sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I was wrapping
    up a contract this week and that was taking pretty much every waking
    minute.

    When I did my install of v7.1.5 on my systems, all I had to do was make
    sure the necessary prerequisites were installed and run the script. For
    me, it just worked.

    Warnings aren't necessarily something to worry about - are there any
    lines that explicitly stated that they were errors?

    Jim

    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  2. #12

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Hi Jim,

    I uninstalled vmware again. Instealled version 7.1.5 and then only used the
    patches "vmware2.6.39fixedv3.patch" and "patch3031vmware741.patch". Then
    I compiled the modules via "vmware-modconfig --console --install-all". NO errors!
    But invoking vmware as user gives at the end the following messages:

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No value set for `/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility'
    No value set for `/desktop/gnome/interface/accessibility'
    process 14893: Attempt to remove filter function 0x7f6b7a595980 user data 0x8d30f0, but no such filter has been added
    D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The D-Bus demon IS RUNNING! I use KDE instead of GNOME. So what does this means?

    Thanks again,

    Uwe.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,035

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Hi Uwe,

    Did you manage to fix this?

    IINM I *THINK* it may require you install haldaemon - vmware would give those warnings if it was not installed in 11.4. There are a number of posts about the filter function message - not the process number and hex codes , but the text.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,035

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Don't bother. It seem that vmplayer 4.01 install without issues, as posted by sagemta on another thread.

  5. #15

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Hi,

    Did anyone compiled VMWare 7.1.5 with kernel 3.2 ? Thanks

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Posts
    10,140
    Blog Entries
    48

    Smile Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by rockyman View Post
    Hi,

    Did anyone compiled VMWare 7.1.5 with kernel 3.2 ? Thanks
    rockyman, why not ask your question in the new Virtualization forum and don't forget to read the starting thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ion-forum.html

    Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

    Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

    Its James again from Austin, Texas

  7. #17

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Thanks James. I asked it here since the thread subject was "Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1". Suse 12.1 is what I'm running and it's been upgraded to kernel 3.2 recently. Any help on this would be appreciated and maybe you have seen something helpful in the new Virtualization forum or even when reading the starting thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/g...ion-forum.html

    Thanks

  8. #18

    Lightbulb Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by unass View Post
    Hi Jim,

    sorry, it's me again. Just to give you another hint:

    In order to patch the vmware modules, I use the "patch-modules_2.6.39.sh" shell script with
    the "vmware3.1.0.patch" file. It comes from a "fullvmwarelinux310patch.tar.gz" file BUT gives
    warnings like

    " WARNING: Can't read module /lib/modules/3.1.0-1.2-default/weak-updates/updates/vmxnet.ko: No such file or directory"

    And there is indeed no ../weak-updates/updates/vmxnet.ko file. Did I miss something?
    How do you patch vmware v7.1.5?

    Thanks again,

    Uwe.
    I know how you're feeling I'm knew to linux and it was driving me crazy not able to get VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 installed on Opensuse 12.1. Here is a script that might help you, it's not fancy but it works, this was combine from three websites/blog (blog mention above). Just copy and paste in Gedit, save as <filename>.sh. Make sure you run it as su (Super User). This is for VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 using kernel 3.1.x. You would want to install the prerequsites first before you attempt to install VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5. If your having issues I would suggest you start over, uninstall VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 and run the script below. When asked to install VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 use su to install VMware. Good Luck . Wish this message will self-distruct in 10 sec.

    uninstalling example:

    cd /usr/lib
    vmware-installer -list
    Product Name Product Version
    ====================== ====================
    vmware-workstation 7.1.5.491717
    vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

    script:

    #!/bin/bash
    # init

    function pause(){
    read -p "$*"
    }

    clear

    zypper install gcc
    zypper install make
    zypper install kernel-source
    zypper install kernel-syms
    zypper install linux-glibc-devel
    zypper install linux-kernel-headers
    echo
    echo
    echo "/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    echo "Please verify if you have the follow prerequsites listed below installed
    before going any further. (scroll up and verify)"
    echo
    echo
    echo "gcc"
    echo "make"
    echo "kernel-source"
    echo "kernel-syms"
    echo "linux-glibc-devel or linux-kernel-headers"
    echo
    echo
    echo "//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    pause 'Press [Enter] to proceed.'
    clear
    echo "//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    echo "Open another shell (shift+ctrl+t) and install VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5."
    echo
    echo "////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    pause 'Press [Enter] only if you have VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 installed and your going crazy cause it will not compile the way it should.'
    clear
    echo "Creating tmp folders to patch files."

    mkdir /tmp/vmware && cd /tmp/vmware
    cp -R /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ .
    cd /tmp/vmware/source

    echo "Download Patch from Weltall&#039;s Blog. (full patch for vmware workstation on linux 3.1.0)."

    wget http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpre...10patch.tar.gz

    sleep 5

    echo "Extracting Downloaded Patch file."

    tar -zxvf fullvmwarelinux310patch.tar.gz

    echo "Extracting .tar files to patch"

    for i in ./*.tar; do tar -xf $i; done

    echo "Backing up orginals files with ext 'orginal'"

    for i in ./*.tar; do mv $i $i.orginal; done

    echo "Patching files."
    patch -t -f -p1 </tmp/vmware/source/vmware3.1.0.patch

    echo "Packaging required files to install vmware 7.1.4/7.1.5."

    tar cf vmblock.tar vmblock-only
    tar cf vmci.tar vmci-only
    tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
    tar cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
    tar cf vsock.tar vsock-only
    cp -vf *.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/

    echo "Attemping to compile Vmware Workstation 7.1.4/7.1.5."

    vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

    vmware

    echo "Clearing tmp files."
    rm -rf /tmp/vmware

  9. #19

    Default Re: Vmware 7.1.5 and SuSE 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by urbie306 View Post
    I know how you're feeling I'm knew to linux and it was driving me crazy not able to get VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 installed on Opensuse 12.1. Here is a script that might help you, it's not fancy but it works, this was combine from three websites/blog (blog mention above). Just copy and paste in Gedit, save as <filename>.sh. Make sure you run it as su (Super User). This is for VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 using kernel 3.1.x. You would want to install the prerequsites first before you attempt to install VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5. If your having issues I would suggest you start over, uninstall VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 and run the script below. When asked to install VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 use su to install VMware. Good Luck . Wish this message will self-distruct in 10 sec.

    uninstalling example:

    cd /usr/lib
    vmware-installer -list
    Product Name Product Version
    ====================== ====================
    vmware-workstation 7.1.5.491717
    vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

    script:

    #!/bin/bash
    # init

    function pause(){
    read -p "$*"
    }

    clear

    zypper install gcc
    zypper install make
    zypper install kernel-source
    zypper install kernel-syms
    zypper install linux-glibc-devel
    zypper install linux-kernel-headers
    echo
    echo
    echo "/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    echo "Please verify if you have the follow prerequsites listed below installed
    before going any further. (scroll up and verify)"
    echo
    echo
    echo "gcc"
    echo "make"
    echo "kernel-source"
    echo "kernel-syms"
    echo "linux-glibc-devel or linux-kernel-headers"
    echo
    echo
    echo "//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    pause 'Press [Enter] to proceed.'
    clear
    echo "//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    echo "Open another shell (shift+ctrl+t) and install VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5."
    echo
    echo "////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////"
    echo
    pause 'Press [Enter] only if you have VMware 7.1.4/7.1.5 installed and your going crazy cause it will not compile the way it should.'
    clear
    echo "Creating tmp folders to patch files."

    mkdir /tmp/vmware && cd /tmp/vmware
    cp -R /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/ .
    cd /tmp/vmware/source

    echo "Download Patch from Weltall's Blog. (full patch for vmware workstation on linux 3.1.0)."

    wget http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpre...10patch.tar.gz

    sleep 5

    echo "Extracting Downloaded Patch file."

    tar -zxvf fullvmwarelinux310patch.tar.gz

    echo "Extracting .tar files to patch"

    for i in ./*.tar; do tar -xf $i; done

    echo "Backing up orginals files with ext 'orginal'"

    for i in ./*.tar; do mv $i $i.orginal; done

    echo "Patching files."
    patch -t -f -p1 </tmp/vmware/source/vmware3.1.0.patch

    echo "Packaging required files to install vmware 7.1.4/7.1.5."

    tar cf vmblock.tar vmblock-only
    tar cf vmci.tar vmci-only
    tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
    tar cf vmnet.tar vmnet-only
    tar cf vsock.tar vsock-only
    cp -vf *.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/

    echo "Attemping to compile Vmware Workstation 7.1.4/7.1.5."

    vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

    vmware

    echo "Clearing tmp files."
    rm -rf /tmp/vmware
    nvm you already solved it.. lol guess I should of read further bhahaha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •