Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: KDE does not start after upgrade from 12.1 32bits to 12.1 64bits

  1. #1

    Default KDE does not start after upgrade from 12.1 32bits to 12.1 64bits

    Hello everybody,

    I've got a problem with my laptop. It is an Inel i3 machine with Intel i915 video card. The story goes as follows:

    - I had 11.3 32bit without problems

    - I upgraded to 12.1 32bit via zypper dup, it worked ok, only NetworkManager applet did not appear

    - I've upgraded to 12.1 64bit via installation DVD and I got into trouble

    I had a problem with video driver as the upgrade installed also the legacy intel drivers. Once removed, kdm login screen dispalys ok and I can login to alternate WMs but not into KDE itself. So the video driver is not the problem any more.

    Inspecting /var/log/messages I can see:

    systemd-logind[900]: New user xxx logged in.
    systemd-logind[900]: New session 2 of user hlousek.
    systemd-logind[900]: Linked /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 to /run/user/xxx/X11/display.
    checkproc: checkproc: can not get session id for process 5561!
    systemd-logind[900]: Removed session 2.

    The same message appears for a regular user as well as for root.

    I think if this can be connected to NetowrkManager service somehow as it is the first service that starts after successful login on my desktop (according to /var/log/messages)

    What do you think about this? Any advice wellcome.

    Thanks

    Pavel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,757
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: KDE does not start after upgrade from 12.1 32bits to 12.1 64bits

    I think I'd be testing the 32 bit version again
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: KDE does not start after upgrade from 12.1 32bits to 12.1 64bits

    On 2011-11-28 11:06, bra7ka wrote:

    > - I've upgraded to 12.1 64bit via installation DVD and I got into
    > trouble


    That's a non supported update path.

    Run a query like this:

    Code:
    rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME};%{INSTALLTIME:day}; \
    %{BUILDTIME:day}; %{NAME};%{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE};%{arch}; \
    %{VENDOR};%{PACKAGER};%{DISTRIBUTION};%{DISTTAG}\n" \
    | sort | cut --fields="2-" --delimiter=\; \
    | tee rpmlist.csv | less -S
    
    or
    
    rpm -q -a --queryformat "%{INSTALLTIME}\t%{INSTALLTIME:day} \
    %{BUILDTIME:day} %-30{NAME}\t%15{VERSION}-%-7{RELEASE}\t%{arch} \
    %25{VENDOR}%25{PACKAGER} == %{DISTRIBUTION} %{DISTTAG}\n" \
    | sort | cut --fields="2-" > rpmlist

    and carefully inspect the result looking for packages of the wrong arch,
    and replace them with the appropriate arch.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •