Thread: 11.4 after upgrade boots to blank screen ... is this bad?

Arrow 11.4 after upgrade boots to blank screen ... is this bad?

Hello,

After my windows server 08 corrupted itself with a service pack, I decided to switch back to suse.

After messing around with it today, I got a big list of updates to do, one of which i noticed was fglrx 8.xxx

When it was done it asked for a restart. After restart, I see the chameleon loading graphic which gets to about 2/3 thru and then ... blank screen!

failsafe mode works.

I noticed that the scrolling messages when failsafe starts complain about x.org.conf.install not existing.
    I noticed some other users had this problem with their video cards, but all were related to hd3000 chipsets. I have a radeon 5830. Has ati made bad drivers?

What do you guys recommend from this point on? Should I just wipe everything and install 12.1 or is this fixable?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: 11.4 after upgrade boots to blank screen ... is this bad?

I have been reading a post below mine, with a 12.1 user who seems to have lost his gui also. As suggested there I have since tried to edit 50-device.conf to use the fbdev and vesa driver for video but still nothing. It just hangs and shows a dark screen... though I only tried the "nomodeset" option with vesa, other times it was both vga=0x345 nomodeset

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11.4 after upgrade boots to blank screen ... is this bad?

Quote Originally Posted by bananapeal View Post
    I have been reading a post below mine, with a 12.1 user who seems to have lost his gui also. As suggested there I have since tried to edit 50-device.conf to use the fbdev and vesa driver for video but still nothing. It just hangs and shows a dark screen... though I only tried the "nomodeset" option with vesa, other times it was both vga=0x345 nomodeset
    If you remove the rpms with 'fglrx' in the file name, then the fbdev and/or vesa drivers should work. You can find out what rpms you have installed with 'fglrx' in the file name by typing:
    Code:
    rpm -qa '*fglrx*'
    and then remove those rpms, and edit the 50-device.conf file as you noted.

Cool Re: 11.4 after upgrade boots to blank screen ... is this bad?

Thanks a lot oldcpu, vesa driver worked as advertised after removing fglrx rpms. After booting graphically I downloaded the fglrx 8.911 drivers from ati and installed them with the "generate distribution specific package" option. I now have CCC running and all looks and works great!

To review, here are the steps I took in case anyone's interested:

1. rpm -qa fglrx* (I forgot the '*fglrx*' using two stars is better as it's more general, but i forgot at the time)
    2. rpm -e <fglrx long filename typed out>
    3. ensure 50-device.conf in x.org folder had the line Driver = "vesa"
    4. reboot to gui
    5. install amd drivers from their website!

Would anyone mind entertaining a philosophical question for me? If it's known that amd drivers don't do well during extensive updates and that you have to install them from their site, why does kpackagekit put them in the list automatically?

Thanks again for your help oldcpu!