Thread: Root password Network manager

Default Root password Network manager

HI!
    I use Opensuse 12.1 and i would like to ask you if anyone knows if i can change user policy so i wouldn't have to enter root password when i have to change my personal settings in Network manager. I am the only user of computer and i am administrator, but it is really annoying that i have to type my password every time i use new wireless connection.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Root password Network manager

I am not sure what program you must enter the password into unless it is either YaST or the KWallet Manager. But, you can use my asroot bash script with the terminal version of YaST:

asroot version 1.14 allows you to run a program (with options) as a root user - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Open up terminal and run the terminal command:

Code:
    asroot yast
    You can create a link to application with the same command on your Desktop in KDE or a menu addition with the same commands. On the Application Tab, select Advanced Options and then Check, Run In Terminal. I will say that in general you should not be logging in as root because if anyone gets a hold of your computer, even remotely, they can do anything they want without using the root user password. Hopefully, they will not know about using asroot either.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Default Re: Root password Network manager

This is a problem with the interaction between PolicyKit and NetworkManager. It is being discussed as Bug 731812, and there are some pointers there on changes to PolicyKit that might help. I don't know enough about PolicyKit to be sure about whether they work and whether they are safe to use.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    This is a problem with the interaction between PolicyKit and NetworkManager. It is being discussed as Bug 731812, and there are some pointers there on changes to PolicyKit that might help. I don't know enough about PolicyKit to be sure about whether they work and whether they are safe to use.
    Wow that was very interesting nrickert, even Linus himself got involved. I never saw a definitive answer to the issue however.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Apart from the bug report, here's an earlier thread on the same

Networkmanager Requires Root Privileges - Page 2

ok.
    that is not good.
    But i would like to ask you to help me.
    This is my problem.

I own Nokia c6 and i when i pare it via bluetooth computer gives mw an option to create mobile broadband connection with it.
    And when i click this a new window pop out and i configure my mobile operator and that...
    And than a network window appears - the one to add new connection---> it appears always when you add new wireless connection
    And when i click OK there is no password prompt but my new mobile broadband connection is not listed.... (when i add new wireless it asks me for password and than connection is on the list...but in mobile brodaband nothing happens...

can anybody help me, because i really need to connect to internet via my mobile phone --> i do not have other ways.

THANKS!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    I never saw a definitive answer to the issue however.
    I did some experimenting yesterday. Note that I am using KDE.

I opened "Personal Settings" --> "Actions Policy"

From there, I opened "org.freedesktop" --> "NetworkManager" --> "settings" --> "NetworkManager"

The last item there is "Modify personal network connections". That is set at "yes" for "active console". I think that means that somebody logged in at the main desktop should be able to define personal settings.

The item above that is "Modify network connections for all users". That is set to Administrator.

Those settings look reasonable, and seem to describe the way that network manager used to work. So I changed the last of those settings (the "Modify network connections for all users") to yes for active console, thinking that might liberalize things a little. The change required root - which is reasonable.

After that change, I still could not modify any network manager settings without being prompted for the root password. I rebooted, in case such policy kit changes require reboot to take effect. That did not help. It seems to me that something is broken.

I tried the KDE help menus while making those changes. The help menus were silent on the settings.

I tried googling for more information. I found a wiki page at the KDE wiki. The wiki page basically says "If anybody understands this stuff, would they please add the information to this wiki page."

Policykit stuff sure seems opaque. It is looking more and more like the cure for which there is no disease, or the answer for which there is no question.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

I (and others) have found the same kind of issue when trying to adjust other desktop policies with openSUSE 11.4. The System Settings >> Action Policy tool has not kept up with the PolcyKit version installed

Chapter

At the moment, there are two PolicyKit versions available with openSUSE in parallel: the “old” PolicyKit and the “new” polkit version (polkit-1), which is a re-write of the old PolicyKit version. The following sections are basically documentation on the “old” PolicyKit version.
    9.3.2.1. Modifying Configuration Files for Implicit Privileges¶

openSUSE ships with two sets of default authorizations located in /etc/polkit-default-privs.standard and /etc/polkit-default-privs.restrictive. The .standard file defines privileges suitable for most desktop systems. It is active by default. The .restrictive set of privileges is designed for machines administrated centrally. Activate it by setting POLKIT_DEFAULT_PRIVS to restrictive in /etc/sysconfig/security and run set_polkit_default_privs as root afterwards. Do not modify these two files.
    In order to define your custom set of privileges, use /etc/polkit-default-privs.local.
    Anyway, the active policies (for 11.4 at least) are now located in /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d, in the form of .pkla files. Any changes made here, are not reflected by the KDE 'Actions Policy' utility.

I'd be interested in knowing if this is the same for 12.1, which I have not yet installed. Hopefully, the desktop tools will catch up with PolKit.