Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do you disable/uninstall/configure screensaver in 12.1 gnome-shell?

Default how do you disable/uninstall/configure screensaver in 12.1 gnome-shell?

hi, i just installed 12.1 gnome-shell, so far i only have a few problems, one being the screensaver activating while i watch flash videos. i'll be happy with any solution that stops it from working.

so far i have tried alien with caffeine (seg faults), uninstalling gnome-screensaver (which wants to uninstall all of gnome-shell), running sudo killall gnome-screensaver, xset s off, xset -dpms, adding presentation mode extension (which i can't find in the panel when enabled!) and following some howtos to disable gnome-screensaver. i have come close to putting my fist through my monitor, but decided to hit my head against the wall instead.

i'll be grateful for any help, thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: how do you disable/uninstall/configure screensaver in 12.1 gnome-shell?

I set the gnome screensaver to not kick in until after 1 hour. That is probably sufficient. However, since I mainly use KDE, I'm not sure how that affects actual gnome experience.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: how do you disable/uninstall/configure screensaver in 12.1 gnome-shell?

so is there a gui to do that with? right now i have no idea what is controlling my screensaver because it just activated again and i tried killing gnome-screensaver and it's not running now. i was going to chmod it to stop it working. i can't find anything in running processes that mentions screensaver. i just want it to stop working!

What little configuration there is for the GNOME screensaver is in System Settings > Screen.
    The GNOME screensaver now doesn't do anything except blank/lock the screen. This is deliberate by the GNOME developers. Apparently they consider screensavers as we've all become accustomed to worthwhile any more. You also can't disable it completely, the closest you can get is to blank after an hour. Again, deliberate by developers who apparently don't comprehend why anyone might want to disable the screensaver completely.

Quote Originally Posted by potatomash View Post
    so is there a gui to do that with? right now i have no idea what is controlling my screensaver because it just activated again and i tried killing gnome-screensaver and it's not running now. i was going to chmod it to stop it working. i can't find anything in running processes that mentions screensaver. i just want it to stop working!
    Go to the user menu (top-right -- the one you use to power off/log off etc.) and click on "System Settings" and then select "Screen" and then make your changes. (the "Turn off after:" drop-down is what controls what you are calling the "screensaver.")

Quote Originally Posted by mikewillis View Post
    This is deliberate by the GNOME developers. Apparently they consider screensavers as we've all become accustomed to worthwhile any more. You also can't disable it completely, the closest you can get is to blank after an hour. Again, deliberate by developers who apparently don't comprehend why anyone might want to disable the screensaver completely.
    Please understand that many of the things that used to be built into Gnome have been moved to gnome-shell extensions. Yes you CAN disable it completely. You'll need this extension: https://github.com/RaphaelKimmig/Gno...sentation-Mode

wow, thanks. i changed it to one hour

HotShotDJ, have you got that Gnome-Presentation-Mode extension? because i got it and enabled it, but i can't see where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by potatomash View Post
    wow, thanks. i changed it to one hour

HotShotDJ, have you got that Gnome-Presentation-Mode extension? because i got it and enabled it, but i can't see where it is.
    Its a switch added to the battery indicator (I'm not sure how that's going to work on a desktop system, though).

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Please understand that many of the things that used to be built into Gnome have been moved to gnome-shell extensions. Yes you CAN disable it completely. You'll need this extension: https://github.com/RaphaelKimmig/Gno...sentation-Mode
    Needing to install an extension from github to get an option to disable the screensaver is ridiculous. There should be an option to disable it in System Settings. It's basic, simple piece functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by HotShotDJ View Post
    Its a switch added to the battery indicator (I'm not sure how that's going to work on a desktop system, though).
    ok, thanks. i don't have that indicator lol.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast