Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

  1. #21

    Default Re: Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

    Guys,

    You can see the difference below...

    Before the latest muzlocker updates:



    After the latest muzlocker updates:


    PS. In the letters "e", "w" and "y" the poor rendering is more evident.

    I also sent these screenshots to muzlocker by e-mail, he will analyze this issue.

    Thanks.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

    Quote Originally Posted by gldickens3 View Post
    Yes, that is correct. The Muzlocker repo has not yet been updated for 12.2, at least as of today. However, there is another subpixel font repo that you can implement for OpenSUSE 12.2 based on Infinality here:

    Index of /repositories/home:/namtrac:/subpixel/openSUSE_12.2
    Plz bare with my stupidity. I successfully add the repository with zypper. What pakages should I install next?
    I have not experiment with them, but I fear to mess up my dear working horse.

    Plz offer some hints, thx!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

    Quote Originally Posted by FreeMonkey View Post
    Plz bare with my stupidity. I successfully add the repository with zypper. What pakages should I install next?
    I have not experiment with them, but I fear to mess up my dear working horse.

    Plz offer some hints, thx!
    I am running the muzlocker repo and here is a list of the packages installed from muzlocker:
    --+---------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | fontconfig | 2.8.0-58.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | fontconfig-32bit | 2.8.0-58.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | fontconfig-devel | 2.8.0-58.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | freetype2-devel | 2.4.10-123.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libcairo2 | 1.12.8-65.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libcairo2-32bit | 1.12.8-65.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libcairo-gobject2 | 1.12.8-65.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libfreetype6 | 2.4.10-123.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libfreetype6-32bit | 2.4.10-123.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libpixman-1-0 | 0.28.0-68.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libpixman-1-0-32bit | 0.28.0-68.1 | x86_64
    i | MuzlockerFonts_12.2 | libpixman-1-0-devel | 0.28.0-68.1 | x86_64

    I am not sure about the Infinality repo, however, you should be safe just doing a distribution upgrade to it which is what I do with Muzlocker anyway. If you are concerned then just do a good rsync backup of your entire installation before you upgrade.

    FYI,

    Gordon
    Laptop #1: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | HP ZBook 17 G2 (17")
    Laptop #2: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | System76 Darter (14")

  4. #24

    Default Re: Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

    While I'll admit that the subpixel stuff in the Muzlocker repository looks great, it seems to come at a pretty high price.

    You might recall that I posted a week or two ago about how Audacious seems to leak 264KB/minute. I seem to have narrowed the bulk of the problem down to the Muzlocker packages.

    Here is the valgrind leak summary when running Audacious for 3 minutes (no music playing) with the OpenSuSE font packages installed:

    Code:
     LEAK SUMMARY:
        definitely lost: 8,364 bytes in 21 blocks
        indirectly lost: 20,448 bytes in 639 blocks
          possibly lost: 3,974,807 bytes in 46,317 blocks
        still reachable: 1,139,901 bytes in 8,444 blocks
             suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
    And here is the valgrind leak summary for the same 3-minute test with the Muzlocker packages installed:
    Code:
     LEAK SUMMARY:
        definitely lost: 774,572 bytes in 3,014 blocks
        indirectly lost: 19,488 bytes in 609 blocks
          possibly lost: 3,924,787 bytes in 44,854 blocks
        still reachable: 1,241,578 bytes in 9,665 blocks
             suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
    The majority of the "definitely lost" memory involved calls to the Cairo library. In fact, of the 774,572 bytes definitely lost, 758,784 bytes were lost in just 4 calls to Cairo (two calls each to _cairo_surface_subsurface_paint and _cairo_surface_offset_fill).

    So Audacious seems to leak memory in either case but the leak is far worse when the Muzlocker stuff is installed.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

    arcasinky, I see memory loss but not nearly as much as you do. Here are my results from a 3 minute test with the Muzlocker repo installed using the following command:

    Code:
    valgrind --leak-check=yes --tool=memcheck audacious
    ==6423== LEAK SUMMARY:
    ==6423== definitely lost: 62,472 bytes in 978 blocks
    ==6423== indirectly lost: 68,095 bytes in 1,395 blocks
    ==6423== possibly lost: 1,514,767 bytes in 12,316 blocks
    ==6423== still reachable: 3,535,720 bytes in 37,407 blocks
    ==6423== suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
    FYI,

    Gordon
    Laptop #1: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | HP ZBook 17 G2 (17")
    Laptop #2: OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 (x86_64) | System76 Darter (14")

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •