Get the best font rendering in openSUSE 12.1 GNOME

Hi all,

OpenSUSE is one of best linux versions I ever tried. I love openSUSE because of its stability, sponsor and YaST. The only concern I had with is the font rendering, here what i tried and worked well on my desktop.

1. Install freetype-word rendering engine

//go to root
su

//change dir to
cd /etc/zypp/repos.d/  

//Then run this command to download and add repository:
wget http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:Lemonzest/RedHat_RHEL-6/home:Lemonzest.repo

//run this command to install the packages
zypper install freetype-freeworld

after finishing installation, go to Advaced Settings → Fonts → change Hinting (Slight) and Antialiasing (rgba). You may see better font rendering than before (or you should logoff and logon again).

1. Setup font for Firefox

//create .fonts.conf at ~/
gedit ~/.fonts.conf

//Copy and paste this code into file and save
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

Restart firefox again to apply the change.

1. Install ubuntu and MS fonts in advance

Ubuntu font

//run these in terminal
wget http://font.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu-font-family-0.80.zip
unzip ubuntu-font-family-0.80.zip
sudo mv ubuntu-font-family-0.80 /usr/share/fonts/
sudo /sbin/SuSEconfig

MS font

wget http://www.freetechie.com/upload/font/fetchmsttfonts.sh
chmod a+x fetchmsttfonts.sh
sudo sh fetchmsttfonts.sh

//or
sudo zypper installfetchmsttfonts

Hope you can have the best font rendering like ubuntu.

Thanks

1. Change Desktop font in case you show nautilus in desktop.

//install dconf-editor
sudo zypper install dconf-editor

open dconf-edit and go to org-> gnome -> nautilus -> desktop -> font -> can change “[font name] [size=]” whatever you want[/size]

Yes this looks really nice, thanks, and something the openSUSE devs could work on. Of the current new distro versions I think Mint has the best fonts out-of-the-box, with Solaris a close second. If getting font rendering right is a matter of following the recipe above, why don’t openSUSE do this by default? Font rendering is something Linus distros have had problems with for ages - look at the long ‘how to render fonts in version xxx’ threads on the Ubuntu forums which appear with each new release.

Getting fonts right is a real sticking point for new users and likely to tip them from one distro to another, or even get them to return to Windows, which did get font rendering right with their ClearType technology years ago. OpenSUSE is still struggling to keep up, if this thread is anything to go by! Blurry fonts or fonts with colo(u)r fringes are tiring on the eyes!

The Muzlocker repo significantly improves the OpenSUSE fonts especially for GTK and Mozilla products such as Firefox and Tbird. I ran Ubuntu/gnome2 until Unity ran me off and now I am a happy OpenSUSE/KDE camper. My fonts are outstanding and everybit bit as good as Microsoft/Ubuntu/Mint, etc… See:

openSUSE starter: Step 4. Get yer subpixel hinted fonts: openSUSE 11.4 & 12.1
Also:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amuzlocker

FYI,

Gordon

Just wanted to post up and say thanks for this guide. I couldn’t find the program “freetype2-feature-subpixel-hinting” as per the guide, but it didn’t matter at all. The fonts are now much nicer and way more professional looking. :slight_smile:

Dear openSUSE devs, please please look into enabling this enhanced font appearance by default in your next release. Thank you. :slight_smile:

+1, especially as the licensing issues preventing this in the past no longer apply.

Very Nice thanks !! Although not sure how to add them to firefox!!!

Maybe you can help me with KDE. :wink:
How can I configure Ubuntu font in KDE 4 opensuse 12.1 ?

+1 Do these GNOME instructions apply to KDE as well? Don’t feel like breaking my clean install over font rendering…

Yes. I am running KDE4 on OpenSUSE 12.1 with the Muzlocker font repo and I have outstanding font rendering.

Guess it’s not available in openSUSE 12.2

Yes, that is correct. The Muzlocker repo has not yet been updated for 12.2, at least as of today. However, there is another subpixel font repo that you can implement for OpenSUSE 12.2 based on Infinality here:

Index of /repositories/home:/namtrac:/subpixel/openSUSE_12.2

I believe that Muzlocker’s repo was also based on Infinality although I am not 100% certain about that. In any event, you can read more about Infinality here:

Freetype Patches | infinality.net

I am currently running OpenSUSE 12.2 as a test bed under Virtual Box prior to upgrading my everyday workhorse system from OpensSUSE 12.1 to 12.2. I have installed the Infinality subpixel repo on my 12.2 VM installation and it appears to significantly improve the font rendering very similarly to Muzlocker’s repo.

FYI,

Gordon

Muzlocker’s 12.2 repo has been posted at:

Index of /repositories/home:/muzlocker/openSUSE_12.2

FYI,

Gordon

It seems that the latest muzlocker subpixel packages for 12.1 (uploaded today) isn’t working properly. Has anyone else noticed?

Thanks.

Am 14.09.2012 00:36, schrieb estevaovix:
>
> It seems that the latest muzlocker subpixel packages for 12.1
> (uploaded today) isn’t working properly. Has anyone else noticed?
>
I noticed the same on 12.2 today, when I switched to the corresponding
packages to the ones from http://repos.opensuse-community.org/subpixel
it worked again, so it looks something is broken with the muzlocker
packages.

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.4 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

The packages in /subpixel for 12.1 are working fine too. Thanks.

This perfectly works too, #12 message, by gldickens3
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/468575-get-best-font-rendering-opensuse-12-1-gnome-2.html#post2485981

I’ve installed some MS ClearType fonts from my Windows installation and my openSUSE now is the best looking gui around my office and campus.

My 12.1 system is working perfectly fine after the update. You may need to reboot for everything to work properly.

I can confirm that this gives superb results on openSUSE 12.2 (with XFCE, in my case, should work with virtually any other desktop as well). The Namtrac repo is the one officially blessed by the Infinality project, which is what REAL font afficionados use. :slight_smile:

Am 14.09.2012 15:16, schrieb rahim123:
> I can confirm that this gives superb results on openSUSE 12.2 (with
> XFCE, in my case, should work with virtually any other desktop as well).
> The Namtrac repo is the one officially blessed by the Infinality
> project, which is what REAL font afficionados use. :slight_smile:
>
>
That shows how different people are. When I tested the infinality (did
it two times, last time yesterday on a laptop) I get headache after less
than an hour looking at it (no joke).
But of course it is good that different choices are there for all of us.

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.8.4 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10