Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'bumblebee' stop working

Default 'bumblebee' stop working

ok i'am install 'bumblebee' successfully and work very will so i have updated software nvidia driver after that 'bumblebee' stop no 3d no compiz work

i return to terminal to start 'bumblebee' again but the message appear to me :

You're already member of the 'bumblebee' group, but
    need to re-login to apply these changes..

how to re-login and start 'bumblebee' again

and how to remove 'bumblebee' and install it again to work perfectly

i'am using opensuse 11.4

Default Re: 'bumblebee' stop working

I also updated my nvidia driver (prebuilt rpm) to 290 something. The nvidia side of things still functioned but the intel glx was broken. I was able to fix the intel by reinstalling the mesa, xorg-intel, xorg-drivers rpms from yast.
    You can tell if intel or nvidia are working by running glxinfo and optirun glxinfo. This may or not be the same problem you have.

How did you install bumblebee, if you used a prebuilt rpm in yast, just find the package in yast and update that package.

Relogin? Either reboot or log out from kde and log back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle236 View Post
    I also updated my nvidia driver (prebuilt rpm) to 290 something. The nvidia side of things still functioned but the intel glx was broken. I was able to fix the intel by reinstalling the mesa, xorg-intel, xorg-drivers rpms from yast.
    You can tell if intel or nvidia are working by running glxinfo and optirun glxinfo. This may or not be the same problem you have.

How did you install bumblebee, if you used a prebuilt rpm in yast, just find the package in yast and update that package.

Relogin? Either reboot or log out from kde and log back in.

After you reinstalled the Intel stuff, do you still have nvidia 3d working?
    It is like choosing between pest and cholera... but the **** kids truly want their Minecraft not to lagg and that is to much to ask from the Intel gfx.
    :/

Yes nvidia 3d was working the entire time oddly enough and also worked after restoring the mesa/intel packages. Hopefully this pattern continues.

I had no such luck, I fiddled with it until my hair went gray... but to no avail. Nvidia glx working with bumblebee but then no Intel glx on screen 0 - Intel glx working without Nvidia drivers.

Finaly I got mad, installed Linux Mint, 10 minutes later I had Intel+Nvidia glx with the help of 'Ironside/bumblebee'. Was a happy camper watching Minecraft working and glxgears turning in never before seen fps. After the initial amazement I started to use Linux Mint/Gnome-weirdness, quickly my happiness faded away, w t f. (been using opensuse for a long time - Mint felt like it was early alpha software)

So to make a long story short, tried and failed with Bumblebee/Linux Mint...
    ... now newly reinstalled OpenSUSE running without nvidia :/ but with a nice kde desktop.

Sorry about the rambling.

If nvidia works and intel doesnt most likely the nvidia package overwrote something intel should be doing, which the only solution ive found so far is the one i described earlier with reinstalling mesa/xorg packages.

If intel works but nvidia doesnt then check the log for xorg screen :8. I found in my setup it was complaining about the screen setup DLP vs CRT (or something like that). Changing the nvidia xorg.conf that came with bumblebee to the other monitor type fixed the problem.

So far those are the only 2 problems ive come across running 12.1 with prebuilt bumblebee and nvidia packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle236 View Post
    If nvidia works and intel doesnt most likely the nvidia package overwrote something intel should be doing, which the only solution ive found so far is the one i described earlier with reinstalling mesa/xorg packages.

If intel works but nvidia doesnt then check the log for xorg screen :8. I found in my setup it was complaining about the screen setup DLP vs CRT (or something like that). Changing the nvidia xorg.conf that came with bumblebee to the other monitor type fixed the problem.

So far those are the only 2 problems ive come across running 12.1 with prebuilt bumblebee and nvidia packages.
    the first one... reinstalling didn't work for me... and I never had any problem with the nvidia proprietary driver, it works but getting the Intel 3d working at same time - that solution eludes me. I tried reinstalling mesa/xorg but so far it's a fail.
    I will persist and try again tonight

Hope it goes well so I don't bring out my shotty and use my Asus for a clay pigeon...

edit: btw, I noticed there is 2 different 'Bumblebee' in the repositories, one "2.4-something" and one "1.7-something" from Ximi, witch one do you use?

yeah at one point there were more than that, but im using the 1.7 package

Ahhh, Victory!

Finaly... Asus U36JC + OpenSUSE 12.1 + Working nVIDIA blob

I added this repository but didn't install anything.

Index of /repositories/home:/Ximi1970:/bumblebee-unstable/openSUSE_12.1

Then I followed the instructions for installing "bumblebee-1.7..." from git with the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run

1. git clone http://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee.git
    2.cp NVIDIA* ./bumblebee/
    3. cd bumblebee/
    4. sudo ./install.sh

5. Answered yes I'm sure to a bunch of questions, chose system nr 1 (with working power managment) and proxy.
    6. Added myself to the bumblebee group
    7. Rebooted
    8. And success at last

Code:
    angry@asus:~> glxgears
    /.../
    295 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.899 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.819 FPS
    300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.820 FPS
    ^C

happy@asus:~> optirun glxgears
    _ON Enabling nVidia Card Succeded.
    Starting up bumblebee X server:
    /.../
    6556 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1311.046 FPS
    6589 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1317.747 FPS
    6580 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1315.906 FPS
    ^CStopping bumblebee X server: .
    _OFF Disabling nVidia Card Succeded.
    Stopping bumblebee X server: 
    Bumblebee server not running
    tired@asus:~>

Thanks Pickle236 for your tips, if not for you I would have given up

btw - I think "bumblebee-2.4.1..." only works with Nouveau, at least for me

Kind regards from Linux Uber Noobelicious me

Blog Entries

A very interesting thread for those having problems getting bumblebee to work with openSUSE 12.1.

@thermalgrease

Are you saying that the the repo bumblebee package did not work correctly, and that you had to then install the git version instead?

https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast