Flash hardware acceleration in openSUSE 12.1

Hi guys,

I just found out that Adobe disabled linux hardware acceleration in flash-player 11 because of security concerns … ( Adobe Forums: FP11 Linux Hardware Acceleration? ).
Well, I use flash almost only to watch Youtube videos and I don’t care at all about Adobe’s security concerns, so here is a quick way to have accelerated flash playback:

1. Install flash-player-10.3.183 from OBS

2. Edit/create /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and add the following lines:

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode = 1
OverrideGPUValidation = 1

Note: the last option is a bit dangerous, forces the HW video acceleration even if you card does not support it. Right now only vdpau acceleration is supported by flash. which requires binary NVidia drivers. Use this last option with care, if you are not sure, don’t put it in your mms.cfg file.

> I just found out that Adobe disabled linux hardware acceleration in
> flash-player 11 because of security concerns … so here is a quick way to have
> accelerated flash playback:
>
> 1. Install ‘flash-player-10.3.183 from OBS’

i do not understand! you say Adobe crippled Flash 11–so why do you
install Flash 10 and then tinker with it?

did you intend to install Flash 11 and then . . . ??

by the way, using <http://demos.hacks.mozilla.org/openweb/HWACCEL/> i
got exactly the same results both with and without the mms.cfg, and with
both entries or only the first entry and then only the second
entry…so i have to wonder if it this hint is worth the trouble ???

and, one of your hints i got a while back from
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/applications/442251-youtube-flash-hangs-full-screen-opensuse-11-3-kde-4.html#post2382089
which referenced
http://blogs.adobe.com/penguinswf/2008/08/secrets_of_the_mmscfg_file_1.html,
but that hint had a slightly different format…

so, i also tested these format variations, with no apparent performance
change:

EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode = true
EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=true

DD
dump Flash: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15797399

Sorry if I was not 100% clear, english is not my native language.

So, what I tried to explain is that Adobe disabled video acceleration in flash 11 because of security concerns, no matter if your driver supports it. But you can get video acceleration with flash-player-10.3. ( My information can be wrong here, but I could not get accelerated playback with flash 11, but with 10.3 I do, with same settings ).

About mms.cfg:
I have an NVidia 9500M GS card, I got full hw accelerated playback ( Accelerated video rendering and Accelerated video decoding ) if I put both lines in mms.cfg. If I put only the first line, I got only accelerated video decoding. But these settings can vary, depending on video card, driver, the weather, a random variable in flash, etc …

OverrideGPUValidation = 1 option is dangerous a bit, because it forces hw video rendering even if your card does not support it -> can lead to crashes. I know my card and my driver supports it, and because flash autodetect does not see my card to support vdpau, I need to use.

On 11/20/2011 03:36 PM, inp3dance wrote:
> So, what I tried to explain is that Adobe disabled video acceleration
> in flash 11 because of security concerns, no matter if your driver
> supports it. But you can get video acceleration with flash-player-10.3.

OH! i misunderstood…i was (wrongly) thinking your changes would
override their disable in 11…

i miss-read…and, since i am using 11 there is no wonder none of those
settings result in a speedup!!

i back leveled to a v10 Flash and got a modest (20%) FPS boost in
firefox and about a 40% boost in Opera…

thanks for the tip!

DD
dump Flash: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15797399

No problem, you’re welcome!

This actually didn’t worked for me.
I’m using 12.1 Gnome.

First I installed update for the flash player with Software Update.
When I play a video from youtube in full screen , well … it’s a disaster.

Then I tried the method from the first post here (had to uninstall first latest version of flash player) , installed 10.03.183 version , created mms.cfg …
Same thing happens, can’t watch it in full screen.

What’s going on with all this flash player problems , I mean seriously … is there a way to watch a video from youtube in opensuse 12.1 ?
I can’t believe this…

Flash video acceleration in linux works only with NVidia boards and proprietary driver. You need to have the binary NVidia driver installed and also vdpau libraries. Do you have those installed?
I don’t know how flash is working with open source drivers, but with nouveau probably the performance is not the best.

I have ATI card , opensource driver.

In the meantime I tried various plugins (extensions) for firefox which were advertised as a “problem solver” , but they did nothing.

Until something comes up, the best method for me at least, is to download the youtube video and watch it with video player.

I can’t help you with an ATI card, I never used one with linux. But you should be able to watch flash video without hw acceleration too, only that it will consume you CPU. Did you tried it out in other desktops too? Maybe gnome3’s compositing window management plays there too.Try openbox for a quick test.

This thread is a few months old but I find it very upsetting that adobe has appeared to completely abandon hardware acceleration on Linux in Flash. Many of us with older hardware relied on the acceleration to be able to enjoy HD videos on older hardware in a normal way. This would seem yet another good example for why we need to get away from proprietary binaries and support open source alternatives. <Looking into Gnash>

FWIW, this trick worked for me with the latest Flash (11.1.102.62-7.1) installed. On openSuSE 12.1 x-64_86.

Doesn’t work for me (at least when testing on YouTube). What hardware do you use?

Here I’m using an AMD Radeon HD 4890 with the latest fglrx (Catalyst), although I’m not certain if I’m missing any libraries needed for acceleration or if it’s supported to begin with. Still, adding (the whole /etc/adobe directory didn’t exist here) that configuration file didn’t reduce stability, either.

I have a cheap nvidia card (zotac geforce gt220), it works niicely with the latest flash using hdmi to tv and dvi to viewsonic monitor.
It plays flash hd 1080p in full screen without tearing. Perhaps the best solution is finding a suitable graphic card in linux.

Great advise!! Works like a charm.

Flash-Player-10.3.183 works fine with my HP-notebook (NC6400), with ATI Radeon X1300 with open-source driver, Opensuse 12.1 and Gnome 3.

I have used both options “/etc/adobe/mms.cfg”:
OverrideGPUValidation = 1

In Firefox 10.0, YouTube works fantastic with full screen HD-mode.

In Chrome the Flashplayer is built-in by Google, and so it is still using the 11.1 Flashplayer which does not support hardware acceleration. I have not found a method to replace the Adobe flashplayer 11.1 version from Chrome with the 10.3 version which I now use in Firefox.

So I have dumped Chrome and am now using only Firefox.

Most probably I have introduced now a security hole in my system; perhaps somebody knows to explain to me what kind of security hole this is.

I’m talking about frame dropping here (right-click and choose to see video information, then see if frames are being dropped). For me, they are, and a lot of them (so the framerate is around 20 FPS, therefore unsmooth). Apparently neither the decoding nor rendering is accelerated for me right now.

Never had any problems with tearing.

Ok frame dropping is not there too. The video is smooth like watching a dvd. On another pc with nvidia 7300gt, it can play smoothly up to 720p medium size flash but frame dropping is there in full screen 720p.

I checked the flash while playing on tv via hdmi (full screen 1920x1080/1080p)connection it’s 25 pfs sometimes goes up to 26pfs.
In the 23"viewsonic monitor via dvi (full screen 1680x1050/1080p) connection, it’s 24pfs.
This graphic card is zotac nvidia geforce Gt 220.
I tested it on a you tube video.

I have found that frame dropping varies with the particular video. There are some YouTube videos that drop frames continuously and others that do not at all. Either way, the video info that I get on right clicking says “Software video rendering, hardware video acceleration”. This is with Flash 11.1 in Firefox, openSuSE 12.1 x86_64, nVidia 9600GT.

I see, so both of these NVIDIA cards have acceleration. I know that I don’t have it, since I get dropped frames even on windowed 360p video and both rendering and decoding are software. Now I wonder if this is an issue with fglrx, or with flash, or with some missing libraries… Anyone else with AMD cards that could test this?

The link for “flash-player-10.3.183”, does not work anymore. Anyone has backup or any other links? I want 64-bit version please.