Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash hardware acceleration in openSUSE 12.1

Default Re: Flash hardware acceleration in openSUSE 12.1

FWIW, this trick worked for me with the latest Flash (11.1.102.62-7.1) installed. On openSuSE 12.1 x-64_86.

Doesn't work for me (at least when testing on YouTube). What hardware do you use?

Here I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 4890 with the latest fglrx (Catalyst), although I'm not certain if I'm missing any libraries needed for acceleration or if it's supported to begin with. Still, adding (the whole /etc/adobe directory didn't exist here) that configuration file didn't reduce stability, either.

I have a cheap nvidia card (zotac geforce gt220), it works niicely with the latest flash using hdmi to tv and dvi to viewsonic monitor.
    It plays flash hd 1080p in full screen without tearing. Perhaps the best solution is finding a suitable graphic card in linux.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Great advise!! Works like a charm.

Flash-Player-10.3.183 works fine with my HP-notebook (NC6400), with ATI Radeon X1300 with open-source driver, Opensuse 12.1 and Gnome 3.

I have used both options "/etc/adobe/mms.cfg":
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode = 1
    OverrideGPUValidation = 1

In Firefox 10.0, YouTube works fantastic with full screen HD-mode.

In Chrome the Flashplayer is built-in by Google, and so it is still using the 11.1 Flashplayer which does not support hardware acceleration. I have not found a method to replace the Adobe flashplayer 11.1 version from Chrome with the 10.3 version which I now use in Firefox.

So I have dumped Chrome and am now using only Firefox.

Most probably I have introduced now a security hole in my system; perhaps somebody knows to explain to me what kind of security hole this is.

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    I have a cheap nvidia card (zotac geforce gt220), it works niicely with the latest flash using hdmi to tv and dvi to viewsonic monitor.
    It plays flash hd 1080p in full screen without tearing. Perhaps the best solution is finding a suitable graphic card in linux.
    I'm talking about frame dropping here (right-click and choose to see video information, then see if frames are being dropped). For me, they are, and a lot of them (so the framerate is around 20 FPS, therefore unsmooth). Apparently neither the decoding nor rendering is accelerated for me right now.

Never had any problems with tearing.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I'm talking about frame dropping here (right-click and choose to see video information, then see if frames are being dropped). For me, they are, and a lot of them (so the framerate is around 20 FPS, therefore unsmooth). Apparently neither the decoding nor rendering is accelerated for me right now.

Never had any problems with tearing.
    Ok frame dropping is not there too. The video is smooth like watching a dvd. On another pc with nvidia 7300gt, it can play smoothly up to 720p medium size flash but frame dropping is there in full screen 720p.

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    Ok frame dropping is not there too. The video is smooth like watching a dvd. On another pc with nvidia 7300gt, it can play smoothly up to 720p medium size flash but frame dropping is there in full screen 720p.
    I checked the flash while playing on tv via hdmi (full screen 1920x1080/1080p)connection it's 25 pfs sometimes goes up to 26pfs.
    In the 23"viewsonic monitor via dvi (full screen 1680x1050/1080p) connection, it's 24pfs.
    This graphic card is zotac nvidia geforce Gt 220.
    I tested it on a you tube video.

I have found that frame dropping varies with the particular video. There are some YouTube videos that drop frames continuously and others that do not at all. Either way, the video info that I get on right clicking says "Software video rendering, hardware video acceleration". This is with Flash 11.1 in Firefox, openSuSE 12.1 x86_64, nVidia 9600GT.

I see, so both of these NVIDIA cards have acceleration. I know that I don't have it, since I get dropped frames even on windowed 360p video and both rendering and decoding are software. Now I wonder if this is an issue with fglrx, or with flash, or with some missing libraries... Anyone else with AMD cards that could test this?

The link for "flash-player-10.3.183", does not work anymore. Anyone has backup or any other links? I want 64-bit version please.

नेपालीको छोरो
    help spread the word of linux

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast