12.1 GNOME Backround and Flickr

12.1 with GNOME.
In System Settings > Backround there’s a drop down list of Background sources. One of them says Flickr. When I select it, nothing happens. There’s no apparent way to configure it. Am I holding it wrong? Is it broken in openSUSE? Is it broken upstream? Other?

All I’ve been unable to find via Google is a (very) few comments that it doesn’t work but they all pre-date the release of GNOME 3.2.

I’ve wondered about this too - not sure how its supposed to work.

Hi
Have a read here;
http://blogs.gnome.org/thos/2010/07/26/gnome-background-chooser-flickr/

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 3 days 0:51, 4 users, load average: 0.20, 0.10, 0.14
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 285.05.09

Whilst the photo at that url shows how it’s supposed to look, it doesn’t answer the question of how one gets it to actually work. Apparently it uses something called libsocialweb which is included in openSUSE 12.1 and I have installed (I didn’t install it, must be in the default package selection). None of the packages appear to contain any sort of frontend that I can run though (nothing in /usr/bin belongs to any of the packages with libsocialweb in their name).

I looked at it back when GNOME 3.0 came out and couldn’t figure out how to make it work then. If it was broken in 3.0 then by 3.2 one would expect it be either fixed or removed.

(Hey, you’re here too! Hello :slight_smile: )

I think libsocialweb is the same thing that integrates Twitter to the “Online Accounts” feature (see here Online accounts - Twitter) - no idea what it does or if it ever does anything…:expressionless:

Hi
Looks like it hooks in via the ‘google’ online account to flicker, need
to associate (as in sign up) flickr to google.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 3 days 4:57, 4 users, load average: 0.66, 0.25, 0.19
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 285.05.09

I’m not sure what you’re describing. Are you saying that if you have a Flickr account which you’ve created by signing in with your Google account (Sign up for Flickr with your Google Account!), then when you select Flickr in the Background settings you’re able to see photos from your own Flickr account? Or… what?

Out of curiosity I logged in to Flickr with my Google account and uploaded a photo earlier today. Still nothing happens when I select Flickr in the GNOME Background settings.

FWIW, I’ve raised a bug report for this. https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=732690