OpenSuse 12.1: Issue installing .RPM

Hi guys,

I recently installed OpenSuse 12.1 and everything worked well until I wanted to install applications from .rpm packages. Whenever I try to install from an .rpm, I get the popup to authenticate and after that, when I’m supposed to receive the popup for license agreement(I guess), I get an warning saying "KDEInit could not launch ‘/usr/bin/appear’ " like in the screenshot below. Anyone has any advice on how I could solve this issue?

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4495/snapshot1al.png

Any input is very much appreciated. Regards,
Sergiu

How does YUM install rpm? I have been trying to install sun java rpm for sometime, have yum installed but cant figure it out.

Hi,

go to your systemsettings and choose the file type allocation (I have a german version, so I’am not sure how the menu points are named in the english version). Here, search for rpm and change x-rpm to “software install/delete” (you can change the order of the programs).

Best wishes

Michael

Mmmm , I think I did , changed file association x-rpm and move install etc to top vs apper, is that correct. If so still could install the rpm version of sun java.

On 2011-11-18 20:56, ssergiu wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I recently installed OpenSuse 12.1 and everything worked well until I
> wanted to install applications from .rpm packages. Whenever I try to
> install from an .rpm, I get the popup to authenticate and after that,
> when I’m supposed to receive the popup for license agreement(I guess), I
> get an warning saying "KDEInit could not launch ‘/usr/bin/appear’ " like
> in the screenshot below. Anyone has any advice on how I could solve this
> issue?

Is apper installed? If not, install it.
packagekit also is needed.

If all that is installed, report bug in bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

In my case, apper and packagekit are installed, but it’s not working (same problem as ssergiu).
I’am running fine with using “software install/delete”.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for the workaround suggestion. Switching the default program for the .rpm files to “Install/Remove Software” solves this issue for me.

Thanks a bunch Michael.

I followed your suggestion and I can now install .rpm packages without any issues.

For people who are new to opensuse the complete path is: start menu - > Applications -> Configure Desktop - > File Associations -> Search for rpm -> Select x-rpm under application -> In Application Preference Order select “Install/Remove Software” and click “Move Up” until it’s on the first position in this list.

Best regards,
Sergiu

Thanks a lot! This really works!!!

thank you.

I had the same issue… Will this be fixed in future upgrades? Could imagine new users to opensuse would be a little set back by this…

On 2011-11-23 17:16, wgre0111 wrote:
>
> I had the same issue… Will this be fixed in future upgrades? Could
> imagine new users to opensuse would be a little set back by this…

If you don’t fill bugzillas, no.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

KDE4 doesn’t seem ready for prime time. While trying to update SUSE the password box opens behind the update window and it took me a few tries to realize that it was open and asking for my input. This happened in a couple places. And this issue with Apper. And the kind of funky tool bar that you can only kind of modify.

> If all that is installed, report bug in bugzilla.

I tried accessing bugzilla and many of the links for bug reporting are all broken. Or maybe it is because I am trying to access these links from Thailand, but other links work so why wouldn’t these.

A lot of stuff with 12.1 is broken.

Installing rpm files without changing the file association. Seems to me the default distribution should not need modifying to install these files.

Dictionary cannot find ANY dictionary files.

“Main Menu” which in my understanding is meant to allow you to create menus that display when you move the cursor to the upper left corner of the screen, is completely broken. Even though the default shows “Applications” as a menu with sub-menus (groups of programs) every program is displayed in the “Applications” menu individually not in a sub-menu. You cannot create additional menus outside of “Applications” even though I believe this is the intent, if not this is a useless application.

KDE4 Desktop is pretty broken everywhere. Changing themes doesn’t work at all. Installing new themes doesn’t work at all. Logging in besides automatically does not work (will not accept my password, and no I did not forget it).

Setting up Evolution does not complete when you attempt to query the server for Authentication Methods for sending mail.

Those are just from a casual use of 12.1.

Bugzilla should be working fine. It’s the place for bug reporting; leaving comments here will not help the development process.

The bug report says a fix is complete.

Brand new to opensuse so pls excuse ignorance. I dont have the option “configure desktop” in applications so i cant change file associations. I have KDE desktop loaded

Thanks for any help

Andrew

It’s listed under the favorites portion of the KDE desktop “start menu”. It also shows up as “Personal Settings”.

Thank U very much!!! rotfl!

Ssergiu,

My friend…I too was experiencing the same problem. Thanks for the very explicit instructions…made the change as noted above and my problem was mostly fixed. I also realized I was having a problem with my Packman site as well which I fixed by choosing another.

Now all is well in Connecticut…

Thanks,

Doug

Thanks that works for me because Im new with opensouse, really thanks.