Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

  1. #1

    Default Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    At first glance upgrading was successful but not everything works fine now.
    So, my experience:
    First of all, after installing 12.1, approximately 430 packages weren't updated to new versions. For example, I had kernel-desktop-base and kernel-desktop-source packages from 2.6.xx kernel, while kernel-desktop ws updated to 3.1.
    Second, when I tried to install new network printer (SMB), I couldn't select any driver for the new printer, YaST utility just didn't see any. I had to remove all driver packages and install them back, then I was able to select the necessary driver. Maybe, the reason was the same: old packages.
    And the third problem is the most disappointing. I have an Intel GM965 laptop and there are problems with KDE, which I have never had on 11.4. Take a look at the screenshots:



    Those popups look strange



    Some images from the GUI disappear, like this "show desktop" under the mouse cursor



    The worst situation is with Dolphin, quite a lot of icons disappear



    After the boot everything is fine, but then those problems randomly occur. Unfortunately I don't have any idea on how to get rid of it.
    Has anyone faced the same problem?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,844

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    Do you still have this problem if you turn desktop effects off?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    Yes, all of these screenshots were made when effects were off. You may notice, the panel is not transparent. When effects are on - it is.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    On 11/17/2011 10:16 PM, aleyer s wrote:
    > At first glance upgrading was successful but not everything works fine
    > now.


    which causes me to wonder *how* did you upgrade...which of these two
    supported and recommended methods of upgrade did you use, step by step:

    http://tinyurl.com/35p966c

    http://tinyurl.com/6kvoflv

    or, what error did you get at what point during the process?

    --
    DD http://gplus.to/DenverD
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  5. #5

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 11/17/2011 10:16 PM, aleyer s wrote:
    > At first glance upgrading was successful but not everything works fine
    > now.

    which causes me to wonder *how* did you upgrade...which of these two
    supported and recommended methods of upgrade did you use, step by step:

    SDB:System upgrade - openSUSE

    Chapter

    or, what error did you get at what point during the process?
    According to the second method (15.1.3. Upgrading with YaST), I downloaded the ISO, burnt it onto a DVD and selected the update option. It removed all the repos used in 11.4, removed some packages and updated a lot of existing ones, but not all of them. And there were no error reports during the installation.
    I've found a bugreport about black artifacts in KDE. Basicly, the artifacts I get are also black, but what's more, some icons and sometimes even the cursor disappear.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Earth - Denmark
    Posts
    10,730

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    On 11/18/2011 01:06 PM, aleyer s wrote:
    > I've found a 'bugreport' about black artifacts in KDE. Basicly, the artifacts I get are also black, but what's more, some icons and sometimes even the cursor disappear.



    yes, that looks to be that folks are looking at that problem....on the
    other hand i have no idea why "approximately 430 packages weren't
    updated to new versions" unless maybe they were packages you had
    installed in 11.4 from sources outside of the four openSUSE repos: oss,
    non-oss, packman and update..

    OR those 430 packages have not changed since you installed them on to
    11.4--and, if that is the case then they should not be upgraded..

    OR, the newer packages have not yet been loaded into the 12.1 repos (or,
    maybe never will be)

    --
    DD http://gplus.to/DenverD
    http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat
    openSUSE®, the "German Automobiles" of operating systems

  7. #7

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    In order to update those 430 packages to new versions, I had to switch system packages to "openSUSE-12.1-oss" repository in YaST. Maybe you're right, they could belong to Factory repository. I tried to install Gnome 3 in 11.4, it seems that I needed to add some extra repositories that time.
    One thing is certain, all the new versions were on the DVD initially, as well as in oss repo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    On 2011-11-18 17:12, DenverD wrote:

    > yes, that looks to be that folks are looking at that problem....on the
    > other hand i have no idea why "approximately 430 packages weren't updated
    > to new versions" unless maybe they were packages you had installed in 11.4
    > from sources outside of the four openSUSE repos: oss, non-oss, packman and
    > update..


    I reported that as bug a version ago.

    But I don't see where you read that "approximately 430 packages weren't
    updated to new versions" :-?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    On 2011-11-18 18:06, aleyer s wrote:
    >
    > In order to update those 430 packages to new versions, I had to switch
    > system packages to "openSUSE-12.1-oss" repository in YaST. Maybe you're
    > right, they could belong to Factory repository. I tried to install Gnome
    > 3 in 11.4, it seems that I needed to add some extra repositories that
    > time.


    Don't you have a list? It is possible to know if they were from packman or not.

    > One thing is certain, all the new versions were on the DVD initially,
    > as well as in oss repo.


    Hold on, those packages were in the DVD you used for the upgrade? That's
    different from the problem I reported.

    I assume you booted that DVD, and then selected the upgrade installed
    system option?

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Issues while upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1

    Well, the approximate list looks like this. I'm not sure about the versions of all the 430 packages. I noticed only that 2 kernel-related packages were outdated, with the versions of the old 2.6.37 kernel from 11.4. So, it's my guess that the situation is the same with the other packages. I may be wrong, don't know.
    One more thing, this bug is absolutely reproducible. I had to remove libreoffice-kde and libreoffice-kde4 packages to make it work without crashing.
    By the way, I selected Fallback GLMode in kwinrc, and don't have black artifacts for 2 hours already. But "Show desktop" icon has disappeared once again.

    >>But I don't see where you read that "approximately 430 packages weren't
    >>updated to new versions"

    I just switched system packages to OSS repo in YaST and it told me that it needed to upgrade 429 packages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •