Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: install the latest Oracle (Sun) Java JRE in openSUSE 12.1

Lightbulb HOW TO: install the latest Oracle (Sun) Java JRE in openSUSE 12.1

Oracle (Sun) Java JRE has been removed from the repositories of openSUSE 12.1. License troubles....
    openSUSE 12.1 Release Notes

However, should you still want it: I have written a how-to for manual installation of Oracle (Sun) Java JRE in openSUSE 12.1:
    Oracle (Sun) Java for openSUSE - Easy Linux tips project

Installing should be quite easy now; just follow the instructions with precision.

Have fun, Pjotr.
    Nederlandstalige tips voor openSUSE:
    http://sites.google.com/site/computertip/opensuse

Default Re: HOW TO: install the latest Oracle (Sun) Java JRE in openSUSE 12.1

Very detailed and newbie-friendly step-by-step tutorial, well done.

vboxlive can be used to install Oracle VirtualBox too. It will take care of kernel sources, install the Extension pack and add yourself to the vboxusers group. It's not even necessary to explicitely install VirtualBox, since it will be installed if it's missing the first time you boot a distro live CD in a virtual machine. However to just install VirtualBox, you can type:

Code:
    vboxlive --install
    vboxlive is included in package vmscripts availalbe in my repo.

Great tutorial but im stuck on step 9. When i copy paste your command update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java" 1 i get the following messages:

Altair:/opt/java/64 # update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java" 1
    update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java because link group java is broken.
    update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/bin/java with a link.

Even if i run the command a few times i get the same message every time. How can i fix the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by corbinc View Post
    Great tutorial but im stuck on step 9. When i copy paste your command update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java" 1 i get the following messages:

Altair:/opt/java/64 # update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java" 1
    update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java because link group java is broken.
    update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/bin/java with a link.

Even if i run the command a few times i get the same message every time. How can i fix the problem?
    Several things are possible, among which a corrupt bin file.

Try this:
    - Remove your Java by deleting /opt/java
    - Apply the how-to again, with a freshly downloaded installation file from the Oracle website.
    Nederlandstalige tips voor openSUSE:
    http://sites.google.com/site/computertip/opensuse

Tried again, same issue. I am using gnome if that makes a difference. I see that i can get it in add or remove software now, but when i do that im not able to compile and run java programs from the command line.

Quote Originally Posted by pjotr123 View Post
    Oracle (Sun) Java JRE has been removed from the repositories of openSUSE 12.1. License troubles....
    openSUSE 12.1 Release Notes

However, should you still want it: I have written a how-to for manual installation of Oracle (Sun) Java JRE in openSUSE 12.1:
    Oracle (Sun) Java for openSUSE - Easy Linux tips project

Installing should be quite easy now; just follow the instructions with precision.

Have fun, Pjotr.
    Good work Pjtor! This helped me to get my bank connection back online, so thank you!

BTW for system wide sun java firefox installation making the symbolic link in the directory below should suffice:
    /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins

best esa
    LNAFIN

Quote Originally Posted by lnafin View Post
    Good work Pjtor! This helped me to get my bank connection back online, so thank you!

BTW for system wide sun java firefox installation making the symbolic link in the directory below should suffice:
    /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins

best esa
    LNAFIN

If its just the browser plugin you want to change (not necessarily the whole systems java) then download and install the sun java rpm

cd /usr/lib64/browser-plugins
    rm javaplugin.so
    ln -s /usr/java/latest/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so javaplugin.so

obviously change lib and java folders as needed. this will set firefox, chrome and opera

I've just tried to go through this how-to but got stuck at the point where we inform the system of the new JRE default. I get the following error:
    Code:
    suntp001:~/Downloads # update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_04/bin/java" 1
    Absolute path to 'update-alternatives' is '/usr/sbin/update-alternatives', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg. root).
    I'm using 32bit JRE and followed everything to the letter up until this point. I tried it a couple of times, redownloading the file, with the same result.
    IBM Thinkpad X60s | Intel L2400 | Intel 945GM | 3GB | openSUSE Tumbleweed
    Dell XPS 13 9360 | openSUSE Leap 42.3

Default Re: HOW TO: install the latest Oracle (Sun) Java JRE in openSUSE12.1

On 2012-05-17 20:16, suse tpx60s wrote:

> Code:
    > --------------------
    > suntp001:~/Downloads # update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/32/jre1.7.0_04/bin/java" 1
    > Absolute path to 'update-alternatives' is '/usr/sbin/update-alternatives', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg. root).
    > --------------------

He, he! You need to use "su -", not "su".

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast