Javascript Adobe Reader problem in some linux distributions

Adobe Reader doesn’t execute initial javascript code of 3D scene in pdf document. With friends we’ve tested several linux distributions, namely CentOS, Ubuntu, Arch Linux, Mandriva, OpenSUSE. Also several Adobe Reader versions like 9.4.6 or 9.1. No luck. For some reason though, it works fine in Fedora (with exactly the same Adobe Reader). Here is an example pdf for test: 2shared - download mysterious_dice.pdf . Just open the mysterious_dice.pdf and you should see a rotating dice. If you dont, javascript wasn’t executed properly (it should be easy to check in Windows 7/XP or Fedora).

We thought that something is wrong in Reader settings (like disabled javascript), but javascript was always allowed. Then that maybe it is linux Adobe Reader bug, but again, why does it work in Fedora? So maybe some package(s) or something.

Another example is the Asymptote application, which uses javascript at the beginning for some scene settings (lights, camera position, etc) and especially with orthographic projection this problem shows up. More about this here: SourceForge.net: Asymptote: PRC size.

Any idea what might be wrong with this? I will just add that javascript later on works, only the initial code is ignored. Thanks for any suggestion. :frowning:

On 11/17/2011 02:46 PM, TheSil wrote:
> Any idea what might be wrong with this? I will just add that javascript
> later on works, only the initial code is ignored. Thanks for any
> suggestion. :frowning:

on openSUSE 11.4, fully updated and running acrobat reader in KDE4
(other software and hardware outlined in links in sig) i see a rotating
3D dice with multi-colored spheres as spots…

and, i see the same when viewing using acrobat in LXDE…

using Okular i see nothing…not surprising that it runs only in
adobe’s own…(which, like everything else they make, is a CPU and
memory hog)

DD http://gplus.to/DenverD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

Hey DenverD,
thanks for the reply, it helped a lot! I’ve been playing with openSUSE 11.4 and 12.1, installing it with both KDE and GNOME, and then I tried install with system language English (im czech so usualy i set czech). Then the pdf was working just fine! So I tried switching system language few times back and forth and this confirmed. I also tried this “solution” in CentOS and Ubuntu and it worked there aswell. Just for test I tried Spanish system language and again it was bugged.

Still though it is kind of mystery to me how system language can affect javascript (not) executing, but maybe Adobe Reader bug? Or maybe something with encoding…

Alright, now i think we have better solution (thanks to Ramses). All you need to do is run reader with command

LC_NUMERIC=C acroread

and then it works fine on non-english systems.

On 2011-11-18 17:56, TheSil wrote:
>
> Alright, now i think we have better solution (thanks to Ramses). All you
> need to do is run reader with command
>
> LC_NUMERIC=C acroread
>
> and then it works fine on non-english systems.

Ah, I have an English desktop with some customizations, like
LC_NUMERIC=es_ES@euro. It did not work.

Now with your change it works. Good investigation. I wonder where to report
as bug.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)