Vmware 8 Workstation on opensuse 12.1

Hi,

I upgraded from opensuse 11.4 to 12.1 yesterday…and Vmware 8 failed to install…
i guess it has something to do with the kernel…any ideas ?

tnx,
M.

I can’t help you, but I have similar issues that might be related. I run 12.1 in VMware Fusion 4.0.2 on Mac OS X Lion.

During the late milestone period, I could actually mount the Mac filesystem from within the virtual machine. But with RC1, that possibility disappeared. I was using vmware fusion 3.1.3 at that time. I therefore upgraded to version 4. No luck, but I got in contact with VMware support. The direct reason was that I wanted to install vmware tools, but suddenly, from RC1 onwards, the virtual CD would not (and will not) mount.

The support guy contacted “the engineers” and they said that 11.4 and 12.1 are not supported platforms.

However, openSUSE include vmware packages of their own. With 11.4, I couldn’t access the Mac file system either, but then, a few months after the launch, it suddenly started to work. I assume this was after an upgrade of openSUSE.

I have googled around and searched the opensuse web site, but I have yet to find any documentation regarding the opensuse vmware packages. It probably exists, but I am not enough of a guru to find the documentation. Maybe one shouldn’t even try to install the VMware provided vmware tools packages, and just stick with those that opensuse provides. How knows?

I googled for “opensuse 12.1 vmware” and this post was the second item I found, not any official documentation.

You need to patch your sources and recompile. There are some scripts floating around that will do it automatically, however, it seems to run poorly once you are done.

Hallo, used the following “Patch for 3.1 Kernels” after Installation and now it works without any Problems.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware#3.1rc_kernels

Greetings

On 2011-11-17 20:06, Purpendicular wrote:
> The support guy contacted “the engineers” and they said that 11.4 and
> 12.1 are not supported platforms.

Which are the supported platforms? 11.3? O SLES/SLED?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks - found this link easily and got vmware 8 running in 5 minutes - great -

I eventually found this page:
VMware Guest Operating System Installation Guide

openSUSE 10.x is the latest. enterprise 11. RedHat 6, Ubuntu 11.10 seems to be the most up to date. No Fedora so openSUSE is not discriminated against…

tnx, this worked flawlessly :smiley:

VMware-Workstation-Full-8.0.1-528992.x86_64.bundle installs without any issues on opensuse 12.1 x86_64

On 2011-11-18 08:26, Purpendicular wrote:
> openSUSE 10.x is the latest. enterprise 11. RedHat 6, Ubuntu 11.10
> seems to be the most up to date. No Fedora so openSUSE is not
> discriminated against…

Shame on them.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Hey Aureal,

Thanks heaps for that; perfect directions; problem solved.

Tim.