Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

Hybrid View

Default Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

I have installed 12.1. (I had been running KDE 4.6.5 in 11.4.) When I opened Kontact I agreed to let it migrate the mail but 'Migration to KMail 2 failed. In case you want to try again, run 'kmail-migrator --interactive' manually.'

So I ran 'kmail-migrator --interactive' with this result
    Code:
    kmail-migrator(6725) main: Migration of kmailrc has already run, not running it again
    Whenever I tried to open Kontact I encountered this error message: 'KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. Failed to fetch the resource collection.'

I have uninstalled Kontact and rebooted and installed it again. Same errors. I can see no entries in the calendar or addressbook or mail parts of Kontact.

Opening kmail2 from the command line gives this message:

Code:
    kmail2(6653)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Unknown error. (Failed to fetch the resource collection.)"
    I tried some workarounds for this error which I found by googling:

creating an empty folder ~/Maildir
    moving ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail

but still the same 'Failed to fetch the resource collection' error.

Would really appreciate some help.

Default Re: [Solved sort of] Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

Quote Originally Posted by jenspen View Post

Whenever I tried to open Kontact I encountered this error message: 'KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. Failed to fetch the resource collection.'

I have uninstalled Kontact and rebooted and installed it again. Same errors. I can see no entries in the calendar or addressbook or mail parts of Kontact.

Opening kmail2 from the command line gives this message:

Code:
    kmail2(6653)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Unknown error. (Failed to fetch the resource collection.)"
    This advice worked:

"Delete all akonadi related files/folders under the following locations:

~/.config/akonadi/
    ~/.local/share/akonadi/
    ~/.kde4/share/config/

~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
    ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2"

Hope this helps someone else.

Will Honea NNTP User

Default Re: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

jenspen wrote:

>
    > jenspen;2404619 Wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> Whenever I tried to open Kontact I encountered this error message:
    >> 'KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. Failed to fetch
    >> the resource collection.'
    >>
    >> I have uninstalled Kontact and rebooted and installed it again. Same
    >> errors. I can see no entries in the calendar or addressbook or mail
    >> parts of Kontact.
    >>
    >> Opening kmail2 from the command line gives this message:
    >>
    >> >

> Code:
    > --------------------
    > > >

> >
    > > kmail2(6653)/libakonadi
    > > Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult:
    > > Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Unknown
    > > error. (Failed to fetch the resource collection.)"
    > >
    > >

> --------------------
    >> >

>>
    >>
    >>

>
    > This advice worked:
    >
    > "Delete all akonadi related files/folders under the following
    > locations:
    >
    > ~/.config/akonadi/
    > ~/.local/share/akonadi/
    > ~/.kde4/share/config/
    >
    >
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2"
    >
    > Hope this helps someone else.

Where does this leave the system? My basic requirement is to migrate a
    working system from 11.4 -> 12.1 without losing the email history and
    addresses, specifically. So far, that has been a no-go so what would be the
    next step after the above deletions?

--
    Will Honea

Quote Originally Posted by Will Honea View Post
    jenspen wrote:

> This advice worked:
    >
    > "Delete all akonadi related files/folders under the following
    > locations:
    >
    > ~/.config/akonadi/
    > ~/.local/share/akonadi/
    > ~/.kde4/share/config/
    >
    >
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
    > ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2"
    >
    > Hope this helps someone else.

Where does this leave the system? My basic requirement is to migrate a
    working system from 11.4 -> 12.1 without losing the email history and
    addresses, specifically. So far, that has been a no-go so what would be the
    next step after the above deletions?

--
    Will Honea
    Good question. I've been at this all day here in Oz and it's time to cook the dinner so, briefly, I re-opened KMail2 and somehow coaxed Akonadi into importing some of my Mail folders - so far I've got my old Inbox and my old Sent Mail (I imported each separately as 'kmail migrator' wasn't working).

I also imported backed up ical and vcard files for the calendar and contacts. The plasma desktop only crashed and had to be reconfigured twice as I tried to edit calendar appointments.

Back in 1998 when I first started using Linux I enjoyed finding problems and learning things but I'm not sure I learnt anything much today except that I can't move any of my non-geeky friends onto openSUSE 12.1 after all. Or that I'm just getting too old to be a beta tester.

Same Problems with the migration here.
    I am irritated about the inconsiderate introduction of such an unstable and buggy core application like kmail2 into a new distribution release. If I had chosen a 'factory' repository for update, well, but a main distribution upgrade should definitely not tinker with a communication essential like kmail.

While I have been a trusting user of kmail since I first changed to SuSE, I had to install Mozilla's Thunderbird today for a working email environment.

It would be a good idea to allow kmail1 back into the main 12.1 repositories until kmail2 is fixed.

Same problems here too...
    It seems also like we are dealing with this issue on several Threads on the forum as well. Maybe the manager should try to put all these posts in a single thread.
    Anyway, my case is as many upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1 and not getting Kmail2 migrating the contents of the previous version.
    and trying in Konsole with "kmail-migrator –interactive" has no success neither since it states that the job was done and refuses to try again...

I was able to fix it in one of my three boxes (x86_64) so here is what worked at leas in one case...

1) Just in case of further problems, back up your emails... I did it by compressing the folder ~/home/.kde4/share/apps/kmail
    maybe it is a good idea to do it too with the KDE addresses and calendar files (under /kabc and /korganizer)
    2) Delete Remove the following files in ~/home/.kde4/share/config/ :
    kmail-migratorrc
    kmail2rc
    3) Now in terminal or Konsole, try again with "kmail-migrator –interactive" and follow the steps.

I hope it works for more users while somebody fixes this issue... I can see why people are migrating to other distros. It looks more a KDE issue more than an OpenSuSE, but it should be addressed before launching 12.1, at least with a note or something to help the migration.

Thumbs down Re: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

I have tried all good advices here but when running the kmail-migration i get tons of errors from Soprano

"/usr/bin/kmail-migrator(23943)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"

So who should have provide this? When and where?

"/usr/bin/kmail-migrator(23943)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"

Time to leave KDE now. It just get worse and worse. I guess that most KDE developers are from Microsoft as it get more and more complicated and heavier and heavier. They have totally lost the fundamental idea about a *NIX system.

Kmail was the last app that kept me using KDE. But now I do not even have this one.

After some trouble with this mail migration (error from above), I test several solutions from this thread. But with the following sequence -> the migration runs. First I start the akonadi settings GUI and remove the old mail entries. Then I stop akonadi and make in a user konsole the following commands:
    Code:
    akonadictl stop
    rm -rf ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2
    rm -rf  ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail2
    cd  ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail
    rm lock*
    rm unfiltered*
    rm *.backup                                                                                                                                                                          
    cd ~/.kde4/share/config/                                                                                                                                                             
    rm *lock*                                                                                                                                                                            
    rm session/*                                                                                                                                                                         
    rm a*mail*                                                                                                                                                                           
    rm kmail*.new                                                                                                                                                                        
    rm specialmailcollectionsrc                                                                                                                                                          
    rm kmail-migratorrc                                                                                                                                                                  
    rm kmail.eventsrc                                                                                                                                                                    
    rm kmail2rc                                                                                                                                                                          
    rm -rf  ~/.local/share/akonadi/                                                                                                                                                      
    kmail-migrator --interactive
    Now the migration runs and all my (20) email accounts was migrated. But I can't read any Email in Kontact/Kmail(2) which are in the local folder (~/Mail over POP3). Also sending of each message are blocked (also with a new created transmit account). And any call loop, the error which put in German (free translated) "give me your username and password for account XXX -> you was requested against the account data, because the registration was canceld". Have anyone some Idea?

-G- NNTP User

ulfbart wrote:

> Now the migration runs and all my (20) email accounts was migrated. But
    > I can't read any Email in Kontact/Kmail(2) which are in the local folder
    > (~/Mail over POP3). Also sending of each message are blocked (also with
    > a new created transmit account). And any call loop, the error which put
    > in German (free translated) "give me your username and password for
    > account XXX -> you was requested against the account data, because the
    > registration was canceld". Have anyone some Idea?

Just in case it helps, have you defined your ~/Mail folder as "Local folder"
    using the command akonadiconsole (look in the first tab)?

I also had all sorts of trouble migrating my old mail folder so I imagine
    how you feel :-/
    -G-

It would be a good idea to allow kmail1 back into the main 12.1 repositories until kmail2 is fixed.
    Fully agree, I have the same problem and I am using now Mozilla's Thunderbird

By the way where within kmail2 is the mail stored ?

cheers
    Desktop: AMD , 16 GB, SSD 250 GB , OS. openSuseLeap 15.0
    Printer: Brother Color lazer , Scanner Edson V330

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast