Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

Will Honea NNTP User

Default Re: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

GeoBaltz wrote:

>
    > Just to throw another variable into this maelstrom, has anybody tried
    > kmail/akonadi from KDE 4.7.3? The release notes tout some improvements
    > to the Nepomuk/akonadi complex, and the changelog has a few kmail fixes,
    > but nothing I could relate back to this problem.

I was screwing around with a sandbox install tonight and kmail showed some
    interesting improvement in speed with a couple of hundred messages to
    download from the server. I had it set up with 4 accounts and every message
    hit a filter. The d/l went noticably faster than an 11.4 installation and
    deleting (moving to trash) all the messages was also faster.

Doen't help me at all, tho. Kontact/Korganizer are also screwed up. That
    means losing all existing calendars and addresses which ain't gonna fly.
    Aside from the KDE PIM trainwreck 12.1 looks pretty good but I (and the
    other users here) depend on the apps to get something useful done so looks
    like 12.1 stays on the todo list for a while.

--
    Will Honea

Correction:
    Quote Originally Posted by edin_suse View Post
    * delete ~/.local/kde4/share/apps/kmail2
    * delete ~/.local/kde4/share/apps/kres-migrator
    > filters are not imported
    should be:
    * delete ~/kde4/share/apps/kmail2
    * delete ~/kde4/share/apps/kres-migrator
    and filters can be nearly imported if you point kmail2 to your old kmail config file (~/.kde4/share/config/kmailrc)
    you still have to refine the imported filters by pointing the "move to this folder" settings to the up-to-date location, but it beats typing them all in from scratch...

Quote Originally Posted by josephkk View Post
    On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:26:03 GMT
    This is (i think) the 4th time in 3 years that, redoing something to use
    akonadi and mysql to make something "better" turned into a train wreck. At
    least one of the others was a KDE app.
    yea: akonadi, mysql, nepomuk, striggi ... must say the hardware requirements to run this stuff are going through the roof!
    Have to admit to running Puppy on half my boxes now coz openSUSE is too much of a beast for them.

I hope this can be of assistance to some others who have run into this problem. It isn't necessary to delete all the setup files.

Summary:
    The crash with error message about inability to get resource collection was in my case caused by an error in ~/.kde4/share/config/specialmailcollectionsrc - it pointed to akonadi_maildir_resource_0. I renamed akonadi_maildir_resource_1rc (in ~/.kde4/share/config/) to akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc and that took care of the crash.

KMail has an account for "Local Folders" (no data) in addition to the translated account (in my case "Lokale mapper" (which has correct configuration and points to ~/.local/share/local-mail).
    This is probably an error in the migrator.

KMail seems to work OK now but I had to manually clean up the KMail setup inside KMail. That's probably because I messed around too much and deleted files before finding the solution, so you may fare better.

My "journey":
    I have several virtual machines for the sports club (archery club) I'm in, and I upgraded the least important of them to 12.1 the other day after setting it up with a mail account (which didn't exist before). My main system is still screwed up after the 11.4 KDE 4.7 upgrade which I did without backing up first so the choice of system was *very* deliberate.

I ran into the problem this thread focuses on. After reading this thread I started trying to correct the error.

I used egrep to find config files (in ~/.kde4 and ~/.config) with mail references and checked these to figure what to try and change.
    Code:
    egrep --ignore-case --recursive --devices=skip --binary-files=without-match mail ~/.kde*
    Code:
    egrep --ignore-case --recursive --devices=skip --binary-files=without-match mail ~/.config*
    Being asked for account information on each kmail start I provided the information several times, and it turned out this was stored every time in ~/.config/akonadi/ as agent_config_akonadi_pop3_resource_* files and agent_config_akonadi_imap_resource_* files

Removed "duplicate" ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_contacts_resource_* files
    Removed "duplicate" ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_pop3_resource_* files
    Removed "duplicate" ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_imap_resource_* files

Modified ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi-firstrunrc to point to entries that still exists (it pointed to ~/.config/akonadi/agent_config_akonadi_contacts_resource_6 which I had deleted)

Tried to start KMail, but was again queried for account information (cancelled) and KMail crashed with the resource collection error message.

Tried to start kmail in command-line and checked the errors reported. I noticed that it complained about akonadi_maildir_resource_0 - which it shouldn't try to fetch as I don't have any maildir resources. Used egrep again and found reference to this in ~/.kde4/share/config/specialmailcollectionsrc.
    Turned out the solution was to rename ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi_maildir_resource_1rc to ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc.

That solved the crash and I could actually start good old (or rather, new) KMail. I still got some error messages, but at least I could see my e-mail and was able to use it and manually clean up the multiple configurations that had gotten added.

Thumbs down Re: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

I have tried all good advices here but when running the kmail-migration i get tons of errors from Soprano

"/usr/bin/kmail-migrator(23943)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service files"

So who should have provide this? When and where?

"/usr/bin/kmail-migrator(23943)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Connection refused"

Time to leave KDE now. It just get worse and worse. I guess that most KDE developers are from Microsoft as it get more and more complicated and heavier and heavier. They have totally lost the fundamental idea about a *NIX system.

Kmail was the last app that kept me using KDE. But now I do not even have this one.

After some trouble with this mail migration (error from above), I test several solutions from this thread. But with the following sequence -> the migration runs. First I start the akonadi settings GUI and remove the old mail entries. Then I stop akonadi and make in a user konsole the following commands:
    Code:
    akonadictl stop
    rm -rf ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail  ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2
    rm -rf  ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail2
    cd  ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail
    rm lock*
    rm unfiltered*
    rm *.backup                                                                                                                                                                          
    cd ~/.kde4/share/config/                                                                                                                                                             
    rm *lock*                                                                                                                                                                            
    rm session/*                                                                                                                                                                         
    rm a*mail*                                                                                                                                                                           
    rm kmail*.new                                                                                                                                                                        
    rm specialmailcollectionsrc                                                                                                                                                          
    rm kmail-migratorrc                                                                                                                                                                  
    rm kmail.eventsrc                                                                                                                                                                    
    rm kmail2rc                                                                                                                                                                          
    rm -rf  ~/.local/share/akonadi/                                                                                                                                                      
    kmail-migrator --interactive
    Now the migration runs and all my (20) email accounts was migrated. But I can't read any Email in Kontact/Kmail(2) which are in the local folder (~/Mail over POP3). Also sending of each message are blocked (also with a new created transmit account). And any call loop, the error which put in German (free translated) "give me your username and password for account XXX -> you was requested against the account data, because the registration was canceld". Have anyone some Idea?

-G- NNTP User

ulfbart wrote:

> Now the migration runs and all my (20) email accounts was migrated. But
    > I can't read any Email in Kontact/Kmail(2) which are in the local folder
    > (~/Mail over POP3). Also sending of each message are blocked (also with
    > a new created transmit account). And any call loop, the error which put
    > in German (free translated) "give me your username and password for
    > account XXX -> you was requested against the account data, because the
    > registration was canceld". Have anyone some Idea?

Just in case it helps, have you defined your ~/Mail folder as "Local folder"
    using the command akonadiconsole (look in the first tab)?

I also had all sorts of trouble migrating my old mail folder so I imagine
    how you feel :-/
    -G-

hey, I had the same issue and I found a way to get Kmail to work. There is a similar post, and I have my findings there: kmail does not display local folder content after akonadi migration

hope it helps

Try to look for a solution in AKONADIJU (Akonadi Configuration) and then under [Local Folders] which should be directed to set up and adjust to the correct path (/ home / USER / Mail / inbox)

I hope this helps, I did ...

Quote Originally Posted by -G- View Post
    Just in case it helps, have you defined your ~/Mail folder as "Local folder"
    using the command akonadiconsole (look in the first tab)?
    It was migrated as "Local folder" - but was empty with path was set
    I create this as "kmail folder" - with the same result

Quote Originally Posted by -G- View Post
    I also had all sorts of trouble migrating my old mail folder so I imagine
    how you feel :-/
    -G-
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irajic View Post
    Try to look for a solution in AKONADIJU (Akonadi Configuration) and then under [Local Folders] which should be directed to set up and adjust to the correct path (/ home / USER / Mail / inbox)

I hope this helps, I did ...
    See also comment above. I create a "kmail maildir" and after it doesn’t work "maildir" Resource with:
    /home/USER/Mail
    But I think the problem is, that this is a historic mixture between many maildirs and many MBoxes. Its verey historic with many thousands of mails.

Ulf

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast