Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

Default Re: Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

I am the original poster.

I had managed after many hours to get akonadi to import some of my mail. I had 9 years of inbox and sent mail visible and could import my calendar and addressbook files after some work.

For other people who use the maildir instead of mbox format, Kmail used to store mail in ~/Mail. Thunderbird cannot import the maildir format. I have tried half a dozen maildir to mbox scripts but Thunderbird doesn't read the results of any of them.

Akonadi kept going for 12 hours or so during which my calendar and addressbook were inaccessible - it had got to the point of having filled the inbox. openSUSE then crashed and I lost all configuration of the plasma desktop. When I tried to open Kontact I was back to where I started:

"Kmail encountered a fatal error...failed to fetch the resource collection." Kontact, naturally, crashes at the same time.

Two and a half wasted days and my email and calendar inaccessible. Just had to tell someone.

This is indeed an absolute nightmare. For the 1st time in many years, I am without any mail working , and unable to read the ~/Mail directory. I have tried to delete .config/akonadi/*, .local/share/akonadi/*, kmail2rc and kmail-migratorrc in .kde4/share/config/, but kmail still fails to start. Any new suggestion to try something ?

Quote Originally Posted by shockman View Post
    @ Brunolab,
    were you able to import your mail files to thunderbird?
    I haven't tried to import my old mail yet. I am still hoping for a quickly fixed kmail2 and will else return to kmail1. At the moment I can live with a working email program like Thunderbird.

The behavior of kmail2 remains erratic and unpredictable.
    Today I was able to download my emails after having removed all DIMAP mail accounts yesterday and then re-registered them as IMAP accounts.
    My old kmail directory structure is visible now, but no emails contained therein.

All those automatisms, that in theory would greatly ease the transition to a new data structure, in fact increase the trouble, if any tiny error is contained.
    And 'MS'-like cryptic error messages are no help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunolab View Post
    I haven't tried to import my old mail yet. I am still hoping for a quickly fixed kmail2 and will else return to kmail1. At the moment I can live with a working email program like Thunderbird.

The behavior of kmail2 remains erratic and unpredictable.
    Today I was able to download my emails after having removed all DIMAP mail accounts yesterday and then re-registered them as IMAP accounts.
    My old kmail directory structure is visible now, but no emails contained therein.

All those automatisms, that in theory would greatly ease the transition to a new data structure, in fact increase the trouble, if any tiny error is contained.
    And 'MS'-like cryptic error messages are no help either.

I finally got the Kmail to open and stay open without crashing, but I still can't migrate my email. I have my old Kmail file still there, right by Kmail2, its backed up and safe, I can open the mail files manually, so I know they are there. I did have the old structure at one time as well with no mail in it, but due to my tinkering, it has gone into the void of lost data. This is frustrating, and I now wished I didn't do the update this week. I have my laptop with 11.4 on it still, its working fine, so I will use that for now. I have never really had issues with previous updates so I wasn't ready for this.

So I now have Kmail somewhat working. I've been able to get my mail files imported, by first archiving them, and then importing the archives. I did all of that on my laptop though, and then transferred the files to a usb stick. I was then able to import the archived files. Its still not functioning right and I'm now having some issues because of the wallet is malfunctioning . Sending and receiving is erratic and I am not happy with the way this is all working I think I'll use Thunderbird for now as well.

How did it go with gnome? are the gnome people having similar issues?

As you did, I could manage to reimport in a sub folder all my mail and can at least read it, which was the most important. But the rest of the mail configuration is still a mess, and I can say goodbye to the address book. So I don't trust this application any more, and mail is really too important, so I decided to move to another mailer. Thunderbird looks a bit confusing, so I tried Evolution and Claws Mail to finally make up my mind on SeaMonkey. It works fine and will be my default mailer from now on. I am happy with the amazing KDE 4 and all its applications, but sad to let kmail behind, which has been such a good friend all these years. And btw I also congratulate the Opensuse team for this new release, which is a very good one.

josephkk NNTP User

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:26:03 GMT, edin suse
    <edin_suse@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
    >I upgraded from openSUSE 11.4 to 12.1 and drove straight into this car
    >crash.
    >But here is how I (kinda) walked away (well, at least with the aid of a
    >stick...)
    >Note this is post-kmail-crash and at init 3 (so I can delete stuff that
    >might have been still in use otherwise...)
    >===REBUILD AKONADI===
    >* rename ~/.config/akonadi <to something>
    >* move ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi* <to somewhere>
    >* delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kmail2rc
    >* delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kmail-migratorrc
    >* delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kres-migratorrc
    >* rename ~/.local/share/akonadi <to something>
    >* delete ~/.local/kde4/share/apps/kmail2
    >* delete ~/.local/kde4/share/apps/kres-migrator
    >* open konsole & run kmail
    >* after a lot of *****ing & moaning I finally got a kmail window that
    >didn't want to terminate --not without a number of error messages
    >though...
    >* however the importing has been less than successful:
    >> use of kwallet seems to have prevented the import of accounts - I

>had to re-enter them from scratch (including the kwallet storing
    >password bit)
    >> I used the kmail > import function to import my existing emails

>(it took ages)
    >> filters are not imported
    >> sending emails (smtp details lost) does not work properly

>* imported stuff is now in "kmail-Import>mail>inbox" and almost
    >everything is flagged as "unread"
    >* the stuff previously in akonadi will have to be re-imported again (a
    >task for another day)
    >* the interesting thing about invoking kmail from konsole is that it
    >goes to show how many errors are raised by the new code
    >> I have been watching my 4-core 3Gig RAM system run at 4+ for the

>past few hours and the error "QFSFileEngine:pen: No file name
    >specified" has come up a good few hundred times
    >NOTE!!
    >* I have not got many other resources using akonadi - my
    >notes/calendar/contacts are all cloud-based now, so removing the DB was
    >not a problem for me -- YMMV !!!
    >* I agree with other forumistas that this was not the finest day for
    >kmail migrations - I am in awe of the developers for all they do for us,
    >but sometimes I just want to cry "Enough!! Remember to K.I.S.S..."
    >HTH
    >Ed.

This is (i think) the 4th time in 3 years that, redoing something to use
    akonadi and mysql to make something "better" turned into a train wreck. At
    least one of the others was a KDE app.

?-)

there is a useful but long thread on kde-bugs at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=259355
    I got my kmail run but the address book was gone
    use the 'run command' from the menus [computer] and type
    akonadi
    and then select adonadi configuration
    and you will get a menu. you want to select local folders and when you click modify it will ask you to find your mail folders. You will want to select /home/yourname/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
    It may be necessary to select a different folder first and then select this one.
    I am a bit hazy about things now but I do have kmail (kde 4.7.2) working
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by bzidler View Post
    As you did, I could manage to reimport in a sub folder all my mail and can at least read it, which was the most important. But the rest of the mail configuration is still a mess, and I can say goodbye to the address book. So I don't trust this application any more, and mail is really too important, so I decided to move to another mailer. Thunderbird looks a bit confusing, so I tried Evolution and Claws Mail to finally make up my mind on SeaMonkey. It works fine and will be my default mailer from now on. I am happy with the amazing KDE 4 and all its applications, but sad to let kmail behind, which has been such a good friend all these years. And btw I also congratulate the Opensuse team for this new release, which is a very good one.

Ya, 12.1 looks good and I'm sure they'll get this straightened out in time. I am so used to Kmail and Kontact now, it seems weird using Thunderbird.

Just to throw another variable into this maelstrom, has anybody tried kmail/akonadi from KDE 4.7.3? The release notes tout some improvements to the Nepomuk/akonadi complex, and the changelog has a few kmail fixes, but nothing I could relate back to this problem.
    Use the Source, Luke

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast