Kontact/Kmail2 in 12.1 - "Failed to fetch the resource collection."

I have installed 12.1. (I had been running KDE 4.6.5 in 11.4.) When I opened Kontact I agreed to let it migrate the mail but ‘Migration to KMail 2 failed. In case you want to try again, run ‘kmail-migrator --interactive’ manually.’

So I ran ‘kmail-migrator --interactive’ with this result

kmail-migrator(6725) main: Migration of kmailrc has already run, not running it again  

Whenever I tried to open Kontact I encountered this error message: ‘KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. Failed to fetch the resource collection.’

I have uninstalled Kontact and rebooted and installed it again. Same errors. I can see no entries in the calendar or addressbook or mail parts of Kontact.

Opening kmail2 from the command line gives this message:

kmail2(6653)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Unknown error. (Failed to fetch the resource collection.)"

I tried some workarounds for this error which I found by googling:

creating an empty folder ~/Maildir
moving ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail

but still the same ‘Failed to fetch the resource collection’ error.

Would really appreciate some help.

This advice worked:

"Delete all akonadi related files/folders under the following locations:

~/.config/akonadi/
~/.local/share/akonadi/
~/.kde4/share/config/

~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2"

Hope this helps someone else.

jenspen wrote:

>
> jenspen;2404619 Wrote:
>>
>>
>> Whenever I tried to open Kontact I encountered this error message:
>> ‘KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. Failed to fetch
>> the resource collection.’
>>
>> I have uninstalled Kontact and rebooted and installed it again. Same
>> errors. I can see no entries in the calendar or addressbook or mail
>> parts of Kontact.
>>
>> Opening kmail2 from the command line gives this message:
>>
>> >
> Code:
> --------------------
> > >
> >
> > kmail2(6653)/libakonadi
> > Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult:
> > Failed to request resource “akonadi_maildir_resource_0” : “Unknown
> > error. (Failed to fetch the resource collection.)”
> >
> >
> --------------------
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>
> This advice worked:
>
> “Delete all akonadi related files/folders under the following
> locations:
>
> ~/.config/akonadi/
> ~/.local/share/akonadi/
> ~/.kde4/share/config/
>
>
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2”
>
> Hope this helps someone else.

Where does this leave the system? My basic requirement is to migrate a
working system from 11.4 -> 12.1 without losing the email history and
addresses, specifically. So far, that has been a no-go so what would be the
next step after the above deletions?

Will Honea

Good question. I’ve been at this all day here in Oz and it’s time to cook the dinner so, briefly, I re-opened KMail2 and somehow coaxed Akonadi into importing some of my Mail folders - so far I’ve got my old Inbox and my old Sent Mail (I imported each separately as ‘kmail migrator’ wasn’t working).

I also imported backed up ical and vcard files for the calendar and contacts. The plasma desktop only crashed and had to be reconfigured twice as I tried to edit calendar appointments.

Back in 1998 when I first started using Linux I enjoyed finding problems and learning things but I’m not sure I learnt anything much today except that I can’t move any of my non-geeky friends onto openSUSE 12.1 after all. Or that I’m just getting too old to be a beta tester.

Same Problems with the migration here.
I am irritated about the inconsiderate introduction of such an unstable and buggy core application like kmail2 into a new distribution release. If I had chosen a ‘factory’ repository for update, well, but a main distribution upgrade should definitely not tinker with a communication essential like kmail.

While I have been a trusting user of kmail since I first changed to SuSE, I had to install Mozilla’s Thunderbird today for a working email environment.

It would be a good idea to allow kmail1 back into the main 12.1 repositories until kmail2 is fixed.

Same problems here too…
It seems also like we are dealing with this issue on several Threads on the forum as well. Maybe the manager should try to put all these posts in a single thread.
Anyway, my case is as many upgrading from 11.4 to 12.1 and not getting Kmail2 migrating the contents of the previous version.:sarcastic:
and trying in Konsole with “kmail-migrator –interactive” has no success neither since it states that the job was done and refuses to try again…>:(

I was able to fix it in one of my three boxes (x86_64) so here is what worked at leas in one case…:slight_smile:

1. Just in case of further problems, back up your emails… I did it by compressing the folder ~/home/.kde4/share/apps/kmail
    maybe it is a good idea to do it too with the KDE addresses and calendar files (under /kabc and /korganizer)
  2. Delete Remove the following files in ~/home/.kde4/share/config/ :
    kmail-migratorrc
    kmail2rc
  3. Now in terminal or Konsole, try again with “kmail-migrator –interactive” and follow the steps.

I hope it works for more users while somebody fixes this issue… I can see why people are migrating to other distros. It looks more a KDE issue more than an OpenSuSE, but it should be addressed before launching 12.1, at least with a note or something to help the migration.:sarcastic:

It would be a good idea to allow kmail1 back into the main 12.1 repositories until kmail2 is fixed.

Fully agree, I have the same problem and I am using now Mozilla’s Thunderbird

By the way where within kmail2 is the mail stored ?

cheers

I am not sure but I saw a new folder “kmail2” next to “kmail”, in ~/home/.kde4/share/apps/

I am not sure but I saw a new folder “kmail2” next to “kmail”, in ~/home/.kde4/share/apps/

Yes, but there are NO mail files in it ?!?

I have the same issues, I’m not real advanced in linux yet, but the forums help a lot. My kontact tells me the same thing and I am worried that I have lost my mail. If anyone figures out a cure, let us know, I am a copy and paste console kind of guy lol…

@ Brunolab,
were you able to import your mail files to thunderbird?

I am worried that I have lost my mail. If anyone figures out a cure, let us know, I am a copy and paste console kind of guy lol…

What did you do ? Upgrade to 12.1 ? If yes you will find your mail under “hidden folders” /home/yourusername/.kde4/share/apps/kmail

Just copy the lot in a separate folder (or burn a cd/dvd).

When you open the folder kmail, you should find all the mail folder etc.

cheers

gpsanino wrote:

>
> I am not sure but I saw a new folder “kmail2” next to “kmail”, in
> ~/home/.kde4/share/apps/

“kmail” is a red herring - most likely a holdover from 11.4 - as a clean
install creates only ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail2 here. It almost works from a
clean new install with no carry-over from /home.

Will Honea

The emails are stored in a folder or a hidden folder under /.local that Akonadi points to. In my case to /home/USER/.local/share/mail-local

I was able to migrate the settings and then in Kmal, to import the messages and structure from my old /home/USER/.kde4/share/apps/kmail folder. Then check all the account settings and filters since they were gone or wrong for the new distribution. However, the beast lost my emails just after the next time turned on the computer. :open_mouth: I deleted all Akonadi, .local and other stuff. Installed all from scratch again. And again the beast deleted randomly some of my emails. >:( I have seen in other forum that this can happen due to some mysql bug behind Akonadi. And SQLite is not better neither. So, I had enough with this. I remember when SuSE used to be the leading distro. When even being behind in some versions, the team checked the basics and had them stable. Even if that means to use earlier but more debugged versions of applications.
Now there is not much where to look for a stable distro. I cannot understand how can a problem like Kmail2 be released inside the “stable” version. It would have been great to have the chance to choose among Kmail and Kmail2 during the installation process. Just like it was years ago with KDE4, due to a similar problem (immature stage of development). 12.1 cannot even deal with emails nor NVidia, one of the most popular graphic board. While I wish you all a better luck than mine, I am rolling back to 11.4 to be able to do my work. :expressionless:

gpsanino wrote:

>
> gpsanino;2405298 Wrote:
>> I am not sure but I saw a new folder “kmail2” next
to “kmail”, in
>> ~/home/.kde4/share/apps/
>
> The emails are stored in a folder or a hidden folder
under /.local
> that Akonadi points to. In my case to
> /home/USER/.local/share/mail-local
>
> I was able to migrate the settings and then in Kmal,
to import the
> messages and structure from my old
/home/USER/.kde4/share/apps/kmail
> folder. Then check all the account settings and
filters since they were
> gone or wrong for the new distribution. However, the
beast lost my
> emails just after the next time turned on the
computer. :open_mouth: I deleted
> all Akonadi, .local and other stuff. Installed all
from scratch again.
> And again the beast deleted randomly some of my
emails. >:( I have seen
> in other forum that this can happen due to some mysql
bug behind
> Akonadi. And SQLite is not better neither. So, I had
enough with this. I
> remember when SuSE used to be the leading distro.
When even being behind
> in some versions, the team checked the basics and had
them stable. Even
> if that means to use earlier but more debugged
versions of applications.
> Now there is not much where to look for a stable
distro. I cannot
> understand how can a problem like Kmail2 be released
inside the “stable”
> version. It would have been great to have the chance
to choose among
> Kmail and Kmail2 during the installation process.
Just like it was years
> ago with KDE4, due to a similar problem (immature
stage of development).
> 12.1 cannot even deal with emails nor NVidia, one of
the most popular
> graphic board. While I wish you all a better luck
than mine, I am
> rolling back to 11.4 to be able to do my work. :expressionless:
>
>
Whats your issuse with Nvidia? I have Nvidia 285.05.09
installed on openSUSE 12.1 released version, also on ms
1 thru RC2 prior to 12.1. No major problems. have
NVIDIA GeForce GS8400 board (older board).

I always install the hardway with tar file from NVIDIA
website. See:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way

Do you have a seperate thread open on this?

Russ
openSUSE 12.1(Linux 3.1.0-1.2-desktop x86_64)|KDE
Platform Version 4.7.3 (4.7.3)|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|
8GB DDR3|GeForce 8400GS (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-285.05.09)

Russ

gpsanino wrote:

> The emails are stored in a folder or a hidden folder under /.local
> that Akonadi points to. In my case to
> /home/USER/.local/share/mail-local

Depends on which storage option you used with kmail1. I always used the
maildir format to avoid akonadi and it stores mails elsewhere. I haven’t
gotten around to finding them yet but that partially explains why the
migraqtion prpocess falls on it’s butt - it ASSumes the akonadi method?

At least my saved mails will be readable when I get around to locating them.

Will Honea

gpsanino wrote:

> I remember when SuSE used to be the leading distro.

So don’t blame KDE’s mess on openSUSE. I haven’t found anything besides a
hardware problem with my old Nvidia 6100 implmentation on the mb that bites
me so I just need to pick a new (usable) PIM and ditch KDE.

Will Honea

I have those same memories. Had my problems with 12.1 however. Using Thunderbird (best) fixed the Kmail issue. User issue with vbox. Installing RPM finally fixed. Still some rather strange issue with date/time. I dont have the same issues with KDE and Kubuntu on my laptop. Moved from 11.4 to 12.1 a bit early I think.

My Kmail wouldn’t open, it does the
“KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now.
The error was:
Failed to fetch the resource collection.”
Its like it didn’t like the migration thing. My HP system was messed up too, I have got my printer to work for now, but the device manager is still not functioning. Tried the uninstall and reinstall, and deleted and reinstalled the network printer with yast. I’ll keep looking for answers to that one as well. Its a slow process for me, and its not helping me with the ‘linux is better than win’ argument with the wife lol. I have 1 other puter and a laptop on SUSE 11.4, but won’t do an upgrade until I can figure this out.

I upgraded from openSUSE 11.4 to 12.1 and drove straight into this car crash.
But here is how I (kinda) walked away (well, at least with the aid of a stick…)
Note this is post-kmail-crash and at init 3 (so I can delete stuff that might have been still in use otherwise…)
===REBUILD AKONADI===

• rename ~/.config/akonadi <to something>
  • move ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi* <to somewhere>
  • delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kmail2rc
  • delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kmail-migratorrc
  • delete ~/.kde4/share/config/kres-migratorrc
  • rename ~/.local/share/akonadi <to something>
  • delete ~/.local/kde4/share/apps/kmail2
  • delete ~/.local/kde4/share/apps/kres-migrator
  • open konsole & run kmail
  • after a lot of *****ing & moaning I finally got a kmail window that didn’t want to terminate --not without a number of error messages though…
  • however the importing has been less than successful:
    > use of kwallet seems to have prevented the import of accounts - I had to re-enter them from scratch (including the kwallet storing password bit)
    > I used the kmail > import function to import my existing emails (it took ages)
    > filters are not imported
    > sending emails (smtp details lost) does not work properly
  • imported stuff is now in “kmail-Import>mail>inbox” and almost everything is flagged as “unread”
  • the stuff previously in akonadi will have to be re-imported again (a task for another day)
  • the interesting thing about invoking kmail from konsole is that it goes to show how many errors are raised by the new code
    > I have been watching my 4-core 3Gig RAM system run at 4+ for the past few hours and the error “QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified” has come up a good few hundred times
    NOTE!!
  • I have not got many other resources using akonadi - my notes/calendar/contacts are all cloud-based now, so removing the DB was not a problem for me – YMMV !!!
  • I agree with other forumistas that this was not the finest day for kmail migrations - I am in awe of the developers for all they do for us, but sometimes I just want to cry “Enough!! Remember to K.I.S.S…”
    HTH
    Ed.