Thread: Put display to sleep when inactive problem

Default Put display to sleep when inactive problem

In Gnome, opensuse 11.4 x86_64 with all the latest patches I am finding that if I turn on "Put display to sleep when inactive" I can't wake up the computer (or the display I'm not sure which since all I see is blank screens).

I am keeping "Put computer to sleep when inactive" turned off for now so that's not a factor.

Does anyone have any idea what the cause could be or what I could fiddle with that might help?

Thanks!

Default Re: Put display to sleep when inactive problem

On 2011-11-13 12:56, Reg gie wrote:
    >
    > In Gnome, opensuse 11.4 x86_64 with all the latest patches I am finding
    > that if I turn on "Put display to sleep when inactive" I can't wake up
    > the computer (or the display I'm not sure which since all I see is blank
    > screens).

When the computer is sleep it is up to the BIOS to wake it up again. A key
    press, or even a brief touch of the power button.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)

I've pressed keys, clicked and double-clicked the mouse, turned on all "wake up on" events there are in the BIOS, I don't know what's left.

Also, it was my understanding that current versions of Linux take over all the functions of the BIOS now days so are you sure it's up to the BIOS?

FYI: I think you are right it is a BIOS issue. I just called the guy whom I bought this particular motherboard (Gigabyte) and he said that even on Windows 7 he sometimes has this issue with some motherboards. Apparently something to do with smb drivers. I'll update this post once it's resolved.

Blog Entries

I've pressed keys, clicked and double-clicked the mouse, turned on all "wake up on" events there are in the BIOS, I don't know what's left.

Also, it was my understanding that current versions of Linux take over all the functions of the BIOS now days so are you sure it's up to the BIOS?
    Yes, because its a hardware event that causes the hardware to wake up. However, maybe your machine is locking up (freezing) before it suspends properly.