View Poll Results: Favorite Desktop Layout?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grid Desktop

2 3.92%
  • Newspaper Layout

1 1.96%
  • Folder View

14 27.45%
  • Grouping Desktop

1 1.96%
  • Desktop

30 58.82%
  • Search and Launch

3 5.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite KDE Desktop Layout? (Folder View, Desktop, etc...)

Default What's your favorite KDE Desktop Layout? (Folder View, Desktop, etc...)

Hi there,

I wonder what you guys might prefer. I'm used to Folder View and currently I'm using it. But to use "Desktop" and simply use the desktop for my background image and a few widgets may be better, because sometimes I put everything on the desktop and I have to clean it up afterwards, although I have a great folder infrastructure and a place for every type of file.

So, what do you use and why?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What's your favorite KDE Desktop Layout? (Folder View, Desktop, etc...)

I'm using Desktop, though I have configured the "Folder View" widget for one of my workspaces (set to show Desktop folder, which I mainly use as my "things to do" list).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: What's your favorite KDE Desktop Layout? (Folder View, Desktop, etc...)

You can set this for one workspace?! I thought that's only possible through activities.

Blog Entries

That depends on the KDE version. When running 4.4.4, I had to set it for a different activity on each workspace. But, with 4.6.0, I was able to simply set "different widgets for each workspace" without having to touch activities. And 4.7.2 looks similar to 4.6 in that regard, though they have predefined several different activities and are encouraging us to try them by adding an icon to the panel.

I am inclined to think that their original design for activities was too ambitious. They have recognized that by allowing different widget sets and different backgrounds on each desktop, all within a single activity. And that's what most people probably want. I guess that leaves the original activity design a bit of an orphan. But I will experiment after the upgrade to 12.1, to see if I can find a use for activities.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Is there somewhere that the "Concepts" for this KDE 4 are discussed or explained. I'm really not sure what it is all about. I have looked and if they are there, they are called something else, and I am not looking for the correct things. Anyway, if anyone can point to them I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Desktop with folder view and some other plasmoids nice poll btw.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by chucktr View Post
    Is there somewhere that the "Concepts" for this KDE 4 are discussed or explained. I'm really not sure what it is all about. I have looked and if they are there, they are called something else, and I am not looking for the correct things. Anyway, if anyone can point to them I would greatly appreciate it.
    I couldn't find something to the conpects either. But I made some pics and I'll try to explain. But the most effective way might be that you try them on your own. Just click on the "Desktop" icon, usually in the top-right corner of the desktop → Desktop settings and then you'll see a dialog. This dialog contains a drop down menu with the label "Layout". There you can change the layout.

SUSE Paste
    This is the default "Desktop" layout. It usually has widgets on it which are in not specific order. The user set the place.

SUSE Paste
    This is the "Folder View" layout. It shows a specific folder. The default is the desktop.

SUSE Paste
    This is the "Grid" layout. You can add widgets and they adjust themselves to the grid. As you can see on the screenshot, I dragged the folder view widget.

SUSE Paste
    This is the "Grouping Desktop". You can add different groups and then add widgets to it. It seems to be not ready for use now or I just used it the wrong way.

SUSE Paste
    This is the "Newspaper" layout. You can add Widgets beside, under or above a widget and then it will be placed like a newspaper. You are able to scroll vertically and horizontally if required. See this Plasma netbook shell: Newspaper view, September 2009 - YouTube.

SUSE Paste
    This is the "Search and Launch" layout. It's used in the "Netbook Version" of KDE. You can search programs and files by just typing and you can browse them as well. See Plasma Netbook shell: Search and launch, october 2009 - YouTube

Regards,
    Ctwx

Ctwx,

Thanks for the reply -but- it was not exactly what I was looking for. I think I finally found it and IF you are interested you might check it out. It is the KDE History at: KDE - KDE History Has some really good info. That's what happens when you get really nosey.

Take care,
    Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ctwx View Post
    I couldn't find something to the conpects either. But I made some pics and I'll try to explain.
    Thanks for that, Ctwx. I didn't know about the grid and grouping layouts.

Now I have almost 2 days the "normal" desktop and it's ok. ^^ I'm not really a fan of many icons on my desktop, so my desktop was always clean. The "Desktop" layout helps, so I have only widgets on my desktop. I also have a folder views of the desktop, otherwise the "Desktop" folder in my Home folder would be unnecessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast