avidemux, video conversion, opensuse 11.4, kde

I downloaded a video(FLV format) divided up for youtube using an addon to firefox. Now, I want to make it into a dvd for experience for resume(3 parts, 6 parts). With avidemux, I get this when I load the first piece:

H.264 detected: If the file is using B-frames as reference it can lead to a crash or stuttering.
Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY.
Do you want to use that mode?

Safe mode or cancel corrupts the sound. In mswin, I have a FLV to AVI conversion utility. In suse, I have ffmpeg and can’t find a gtk version. I prefer to use a GTK video conversion utility.

Is there a way to fix it through avidemux? Else, what video conversion utility should I use to fix it for avidemux?

Thanks.

On 2011-11-09 07:56, lord valarian wrote:
> In suse, I have ffmpeg and can’t find a gtk
> version. I prefer to use a GTK video conversion utility.

ffmpeg is very powerful, and has several graphical frontends available. But
they don’t cover all the possibilities, in my limited experience.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I used this line, but the video turned out grainy, but the sound was fine.

ffmpeg -i videofile.flv videofile.mpg

I’m going to use DeVeDe to make a dvd. So, I want the original video resolution maintained. WINFF is the best front end, but there was no suse version.

Not so. On my openSUSE-11.4, when I type:

oldcpu@corei7:~> rpm -q winff

I get:

winff-1.3.1-2.7.x86_64

and when I type ‘winff’ I indeed get winff to launch. … or more details:

oldcpu@corei7:~> rpm -qi winff
Name        : winff                        Relocations: /usr 
Version     : 1.3.1                             Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/home:enzokiel
Release     : 2.7                           Build Date: Fri 23 Sep 2011 04:46:53 PM CEST
Install Date: Sat 01 Oct 2011 12:27:45 AM CEST      Build Host: build27
Group       : Productivity/Multimedia/Video/Editors and Convertors   Source RPM: winff-1.3.1-2.7.src.rpm
Size        : 10276378                         License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 23 Sep 2011 04:48:15 PM CEST, Key ID e4dadb3291e6e64b
URL         : http://code.google.com/p/winff/
Summary     : A cross platform batch GUI for FFmpeg                                                                                                                                         
Description :                                                                                                                                                                               
WinFF is a GUI for the command line video converter FFMPEG.                                                                                                                                 
It will convert most any video file that FFmpeg will convert.                                                                                                                               
WinFF does multiple files in multiple formats at one time.
You can for example convert mpeg's, flv's, and mov's, all into avi's all at once.                                                                                                           
Distribution: home:enzokiel / openSUSE_11.4_Update 

My guess is you have not learned how to use the openSUSE search engine for rpms yet, and you must learn how to do this, else you are crippling your openSUSE user experience. And thats NOT GOOD.

Take a look here: software.opensuse.org: Search Results pay attention to the ‘search options’. With openSUSE-11.4 selected, be certain to ALSO select ‘include user’s home projects’ as a search criteria.

For example I get (for winff) : software.opensuse.org: Search Results

Do NOT forget that search site (and the IMPORTANCE to select ‘user’s home projects’ ) : software.opensuse.org: Search Results

I usually search yast software. I found winff and winff-qt. I used the quick install on winff. Thanks. I get an error, but I can’t copy and paste the error message in winff.

Does print screen work ? or is the error too big to see on one screen ? If print screen works, then post the screen image to Fast, Free Image Hosting - ImageBam and copy the BB code here for it.

http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/15897/40786d158969041.jpg](ImageBam)

I can use the file on DeVeDe, but i’m not sure if the sound will be corrupted on the burned dvd.

On 2011-11-13 00:06, lord valarian wrote:

> ‘[image: http://thumbnails30.imagebam.com/15897/40786d158969041.jpg]’
> (http://www.imagebam.com/image/40786d158969041)

The error is obvious, in red. You are giving the program wrong options, and
it says exactly what (-ab 192kb).

-ab bitrate
Set the audio bitrate in bit/s (default = 64k).

Which in this case means a bug in the wrapper that calls ffmpeg.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

>Which in this case means a bug in the wrapper that calls ffmpeg.

#!/bin/sh
echo -n "\033]0; Converting Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 1 Of 3 - YouTube (1/3)\007"
/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i "/home/alex/Videos/black holes/Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 1 Of 3 - YouTube.mp4" -acodec libmp3lame -vcodec msmpeg4  -ab 64k -b 1000kb -s 640x480 -ar 44100 "/home/alex/Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 1 Of 3 - YouTube.avi"
echo -n "\033]0; Converting Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 2 Of 3 - YouTube (2/3)\007"
/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i "/home/alex/Videos/black holes/Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 2 Of 3 - YouTube.mp4" -acodec libmp3lame -vcodec msmpeg4  -ab 64k -b 1000kb -s 640x480 -ar 44100 "/home/alex/Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 2 Of 3 - YouTube.avi"
echo -n "\033]0; Converting Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 3 Of 3 - YouTube (3/3)\007"
/usr/bin/ffmpeg -i "/home/alex/Videos/black holes/Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 3 Of 3 - YouTube.mp4" -acodec libmp3lame -vcodec msmpeg4  -ab 64k -b 1000kb -s 640x480 -ar 44100 "/home/alex/Through the Wormhole - Season 1, Episode 2 The Riddle of Black Holes Part 3 Of 3 - YouTube.avi"
read -p "Press Enter to Continue" dumbyvar
rm "/home/alex/.winff/ff111113162832.sh"

WinFF uses bad defaults. I’d fix winff myself, but I don’t know linux coding. So, red says 1000kb?

Am 13.11.2011 01:36, schrieb lord valarian:
> WinFF uses bad defaults. I’d fix winff myself, but I don’t know linux
> coding. So, red says 1000kb?
That has nothing to do with linux coding, it is just written in a pascal
dialect (similar to delphi).

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

On 2011-11-13 01:36, lord valarian wrote:
> WinFF uses bad defaults. I’d fix winff myself, but I don’t know linux
> coding. So, red says 1000kb?

Huh? No, it says that it is not “-ab 192kb”, but “-ab 192k”. Not kb, but k.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

http://thumbnails64.imagebam.com/15902/35e2fc159012384.jpg](ImageBam)

I changed the audio bitrate to 64. Now, I get this. ‘b’ unable to parse option value ‘1000kb’

I got this to work by going to /home/oldcpu/.winff and editingthefile ‘presets.xml’ changing kb to b in the appropriate locations. I recall it took me a long time to do the edits (doing a number of applicable global replaces).

I have not looked at this for > 6 months. I think after every " -ab ’ option I needed to change the ‘kb’ to ‘k’ BUT I had to be careful after every ’ -b ’ option NOT to change the ‘kb’ to ‘k’ but rather LEAVE the ‘kb’ as ‘kb’.

I should note that is not true in every case … and I can’t recall the exceptions. It requires a knowledge of ffmpeg far exceeding mine to come up with a common conversion algorithm.

I say there are 'exception’s as there are case where after ’ -b ’ that one needs a ‘k’ and not a ‘kb’ … For example I know of cases using the mpeg4 and libx264 codec where ’ k ’ and not ’ kb ’ is appropriate.

ffmpeg has changed, and there are other bugs on winff … for example croptop and cropbottom are no longer called as such in ffmpeg but instead are called differently. There is this bug report: Issue 137 - winff - winff needs different call for crop function in recent ffmpeg - WinFF is a GUI to the command line video converter FFmpeg - Google Project Hosting

I don’t know the proper edits to the presets.xml to fix this in calls such as ‘XviD Widescreen Anamorphic’ which currently fails. I’m hoping someone more into this than I comes up with the correct edits.

My memory here, as I alluded, is simply BAD. Apologies.

Rather than me spend time hacking and trying to figure this out, may I propose the easy/lazy way ? … which is to go to WinFF - Free Video Converter and LOOK at the bottom of that page for the “Presets for Newer FFmpeg Revisions” (where I use the Presets for FFmpeg (libavcodec53)) …

… its a sunday morning, and I am not fully awake, and I apologize for the multitude of posts, wasting bandwidth and everyone’s time, when its simply easier to go straight to the source.

Good luck !

I should also note, that I globally edit the file presets-libavcodec53-v1.xml to work with the packman packaged ffmpeg as follows:

• change all occurrences of ’ -vpre ’ to ’ -preset ’
  • change all occurrences of ’ -acodec libfaac ’ to ’ -acodec aac -strict experimental ’

Reference for that: FFMPEG An Intermediate Guide/h.264 - Wikibooks, open books for an open world