Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Default Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Yes, I believe I have said it has both Intel and Nvidia (GT555M).
    I am looking in message log and see this:

WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 1.3 seconds
    (repeat 1 times with varying second)
    Then this:
    GdmLocalDisplayFactory: Maximum number of X display failures reached: Check X server log for errors.

I have been through a dozen supposed solutions from forums on this, nothing gets it all working.

The Xorg.0.log file says:
    (EE) No devices detected
    Fatal server error

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mano61 View Post
    Yes, I believe I have said it has both Intel and Nvidia (GT555M).
    I am looking in message log and see this:

WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 1.3 seconds
    (repeat 1 times with varying second)
    Then this:
    GdmLocalDisplayFactory: Maximum number of X display failures reached: Check X server log for errors.

I have been through a dozen supposed solutions from forums on this, nothing gets it all working.

The Xorg.0.log file says:
    (EE) No devices detected
    Fatal server error
    Well you did not start saying enough about your video hardware, you gave the wrong video card chipset name, leaving out a number and you latched upon a how to message thread instead of starting your own in the Hardware or Install/boot section. I suggest three things for you to do:

1. Read the following thread and see if it helps: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...ort-howto.html
    2. Start your own problem thread in the Hardware section of the forum.
    3. Specify your exact hardware in the message including as much info on your video chipsets as you can. You can use YaST / Hardware / Hardware information to provide exact hardware numbers.

We do want your Laptop to work properly with openSUSE and have only a few requirements here to follow. Good Luck!

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    Well you did not start saying enough about your video hardware, you gave the wrong video card chipset name, leaving out a number and you latched upon a how to message thread instead of starting your own in the Hardware or Install/boot section. I suggest three things for you to do:

1. Read the following thread and see if it helps: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/en...ort-howto.html
    2. Start your own problem thread in the Hardware section of the forum.
    3. Specify your exact hardware in the message including as much info on your video chipsets as you can. You can use YaST / Hardware / Hardware information to provide exact hardware numbers.

We do want your Laptop to work properly with openSUSE and have only a few requirements here to follow. Good Luck!

Thank You,
    Well, sorry for the typo, working around the clock between work and this issue and other stuff.
    I have tried installing bumblebee, get no further than before.
    have also tried everything else I can find on the net, and from all the hits I am finding about this issue now, there is as of yet "no solution" to this problem.
    I may start a new problem thread, but I am seeing many other people starting the exact same thread, so not sure how useful that will be.
    At this point, I am done with this, after having wasted one fulll week on it; I will have to uninstall SUSE and wait for a new release with these issues addressed, and after seeing the large number of people with this issue, I would expect that to happen soon. Ubuntu has a much larger install base, and the number of folks over there with this issue ar already far greater, but it is clearly a common dual video card issue.
    Thanks for your time...

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Well, sorry for the typo, working around the clock between work and this issue and other stuff.
    I have tried installing bumblebee, get no further than before.
    have also tried everything else I can find on the net, and from all the hits I am finding about this issue now, there is as of yet "no solution" to this problem.
    I may start a new problem thread, but I am seeing many other people starting the exact same thread, so not sure how useful that will be.
    At this point, I am done with this, after having wasted one fulll week on it; I will have to uninstall SUSE and wait for a new release with these issues addressed, and after seeing the large number of people with this issue, I would expect that to happen soon. Ubuntu has a much larger install base, and the number of folks over there with this issue ar already far greater, but it is clearly a common dual video card issue.
    Thanks for your time...
    None the less, you deserve your own problem thread. It costs nothing and its all yours to use. Consider what has went by here and do your best to describe your hardware and the problem. You only need one reply from someone that knows how to make this work to get that solution you have been wishing for.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Never in 12 years of installing Linux, or even in developing hardware, have I seen quite this many problems on a new install.
    I have to agree. Linux has never been so hard to install - except maybe in the early years. I guess it's due to a combinaton of bad decisions (such as defaulting to KMS - that leaves half of the users with a black or garbaged screen) and major changes in the hardware, like dual video and EFI.

Actually, installing bumblebee gets me good resolution now, but still no X server.
    However, it does get me the full resolution in safemode, but it is not running the Nvidia X server, and I am not sure what all is different between safemode and normal mode, but it looks like most things are working in safemode. Maybe that will suffice until this mess is all fixed up.

No, even at higher resolution, xemacs window becomes non viewable, and I really don't like the idea of running in safemode...I'm done.

No, even at higher resolution, xemacs window becomes non viewable, and I really don't like the idea of running in safemode...I'm done.
    Just use windows for dual GPU laptops (I guess it came with it preinstalled) and combine with cygwin or even better don't buy them

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

More new machines are using this technology every day, so I would expect the OS developers to be working on a permanent solution, or the install base will fall off rather quickly...

More new machines are using this technology every day, so I would expect the OS developers to be working on a permanent solution, or the install base will fall off rather quickly...
    I really hope that the linux devs will figure out something for this quickly but it looks as though it's quite a complex issue.

Best regards,
    Greg
    Best regards,
    Greg

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast