Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Blog Entries

Question Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Quote Originally Posted by Mano61 View Post
    Followed instructions, now all I get is command prompt, no x...
    You need to tell us more about your computer, video hardware, openSUSE version and desktop version and just exactly which instructions did you follow?

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Asus N55S with GeForce GT55M. Total nightmare just to get installation running 12.1, finally got it with no acpi (setnomode didn't work). However, of course, video would tear and distort such that an editor would not be view-able even. I downloaded the latest driver for 64 bit Linux from Nvidia, switched to run level 3, then ran commands in your instructions. Not sure why needed gcc, etc, but ran that anyway. Installation seemed fine, but reboot makes it to command line only. Tried setnomode, acpi=off/on, nothing works. Now also can no longer dual boot Windows, in process of recovery restore from backup disk image, unfortunately.

Blog Entries

Asus N55S with GeForce GT55M. Total nightmare just to get installation running 12.1, finally got it with no acpi (setnomode didn't work). However, of course, video would tear and distort such that an editor would not be view-able even. I downloaded the latest driver for 64 bit Linux from Nvidia, switched to run level 3, then ran commands in your instructions. Not sure why needed gcc, etc, but ran that anyway. Installation seemed fine, but reboot makes it to command line only. Tried setnomode, acpi=off/on, nothing works. Now also can no longer dual boot Windows, in process of recovery restore from backup disk image, unfortunately.
    Did you try or add in the kernel load option: nomodeset? This is entered at the Grub OS selection menu before you press enter and can be added to the file /etc/grub/menu.lst file as root. At the nVIDIA site, I find no reference to a video card called GT55M and so I wonder just what this really is or if you have the wrong name? When you go to the nVIDIA site, you MUST enter the correct video card in order to confirm the correct driver to use. Since it failed for you, perhaps it was not the right one?

Thank You,

Yes I tried nomodeset every day for the last week, too. GT555M, 2G top end Nvidia card.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Yes I tried nomodeset every day for the last week, too. GT555M, 2G top end Nvidia card.
    I might check out the read me here in case there is some detail on this laptop you have missed: NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver README and Installation Guide

I would read through it as using a Laptop can be more troublesome to setup than is a desktop.

Thank You,

I'm surprised that no one mentions installation from the nvidia repo anymore in these fora. AFAIK it is the easiest way, specially for a newbie - no need to install development libs/aps/sources/etc or to recompile the driver whenever there's a kernel update.

Since 11.2 (or 11.1 IIRC) I only had to add the repo and Yast's update would automagically select and install the driver, which I could then forget about, no need for recompilations ever. It was always something I really admired in oS.

Perhaps nouveau is good enough that there's no more need for this, or is it still working in 12.1?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SIMPLE HOWTO INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER OPENSUSE 12.1

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post
    I'm surprised that no one mentions installation from the nvidia repo anymore in these fora. AFAIK it is the easiest way, specially for a newbie - no need to install development libs/aps/sources/etc or to recompile the driver whenever there's a kernel update.

Since 11.2 (or 11.1 IIRC) I only had to add the repo and Yast's update would automagically select and install the driver, which I could then forget about, no need for recompilations ever. It was always something I really admired in oS.

Perhaps nouveau is good enough that there's no more need for this, or is it still working in 12.1?
    You can find the repository method for installing the nVIDIA driver here: SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE, For me, I like to load the very latest nVIDIA driver version and often its required when I use the very latest kernel. But of course, we are all free to recommend any method we know how to use and support.

Thank You,

Quote Originally Posted by brunomcl View Post

Nouveau is so bad Xemacs editor distorts and is unreadable when used.

I was unable to use Yast to get updates, just freezes up requiring reboot during file download.

The last thing I see before it goes to command line is "nvidiafb: cannot ioremap FB base".
    Researched that, just more endless circles, wow this is too much.
    Never in 12 years of installing Linux, or even in developing hardware, have I seen quite this many problems on a new install.

Blog Entries

The last thing I see before it goes to command line is "nvidiafb: cannot ioremap FB base".
    Researched that, just more endless circles, wow this is too much.
    Never in 12 years of installing Linux, or even in developing hardware, have I seen quite this many problems on a new install.
    So laptops can be crazy particularly if they actually have two video chipsets with say nVIDIA and Intel. Do you know if you might have such a setup?

Thank You,

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast